Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-stuffing A Couch

Anyone know anyhting about the construction of leather sofas .I have a
three seater and I always sit at the one end which has resulted in
that particular part having sunk down compared to the other parts . I
was thinking of turning it upside down and I know that the bottom is
covered with a sort of nylon/hessian type material .If I take this off
to expose the innards will I be faced with the usual canvas (?)
strapping which supports the seat filling?
If so is it a case of getting access to the filling and stuffing some
more in to level it up with the rest .Whats the filling likely to be ?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone know anyhting about the construction of leather sofas .I have a
three seater and I always sit at the one end which has resulted in
that particular part having sunk down compared to the other parts . I
was thinking of turning it upside down and I know that the bottom is
covered with a sort of nylon/hessian type material .If I take this off
to expose the innards will I be faced with the usual canvas (?)
strapping which supports the seat filling?

presumably

If so is it a case of getting access to the filling and stuffing some
more in to level it up with the rest .Whats the filling likely to be ?

Stuart

normally its the straps that go. You'd need new straps, and they need
to applied tensioned. Its a bit of a pain though, and you want decent
straps for them to last.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Anyone know anyhting about the construction of leather sofas .I have a
three seater and I always sit at the one end which has resulted in
that particular part having sunk down compared to the other parts . I
was thinking of turning it upside down and I know that the bottom is
covered with a sort of nylon/hessian type material .If I take this off
to expose the innards will I be faced with the usual canvas (?)
strapping which supports the seat filling?

Usually yes. Occassionally it will have tension or serpentine springs
(useful site
this)
http://www.upholsteryshop.co.uk/prod...19cb408a9494a3

If so is it a case of getting access to the filling and stuffing some
more in to level it up with the rest .Whats the filling likely to be ?

Springs may have gone, or come away. Serpentine type often snap. Webbing
maybe loose. Fillings are mainly HR foam often with a polyester wadding
topping to add a bit of 'loft' to the fabric.

Depends a bit on how old the suite is & how expensive it was. Easy enough
to sort out though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Wood Couch? Toller Woodworking 6 June 14th 07 05:15 PM
GARDEN COUCH J T Woodworking 0 September 21st 06 07:59 AM
Can This Couch Be Fixed? Scott Home Repair 0 November 24th 05 07:17 AM
Dog Smell in couch Art Todesco Home Repair 16 October 1st 05 12:15 PM