Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott

Default Can This Couch Be Fixed?

We have a fairly good couch in our living room. The couch is 30 years
old, and while we don't often use the couch, it looks very nice...fabric
covered couch on a wooden frame. Today I noticed that the decorative
wooden front piece of the couch (about 6 inches off the floor) is cracked,
and it's sticking forward about 2 inches from just inside the left front
leg over to the front leg in the center of the couch. The wood is an inch
thick, and it appears to be warped. I can't push it back into place. I
suspect it's from the dry winters and humid summers here in Minnesota.
When I sit on the couch, it sags in the front, because the middle leg is
at an angle and can't support the weight. Looking underneath, it appears
that two of the legs and the wooden front piece they're attached to have
pulled loose from the frame. Is is possible to soak the front wood pieces
in water and then bend them back into place...and re-attach to the frame?
Or is this something that a furniture repair shop would need to do?
And, is it worth it?

Thanks!
Scott