Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No hot water - broken programmer?

Hi

I'm suffering from a lack of hot water at the moment - not a good time
of year for it to happen.

I've got a vented gas hot water/central heating system, with an aging
Ideal Classic NF boiler, ACL Lifestyle LP241 programmer, and an ACL
Lifestyle mid-position valve.

The central heating is working fine, but we haven't got any hot water.
The hot water light on the programmer never lights up. The valve seems
to be working OK - it moves to the heating position when the heating
is turned on, and back to the central position when power is cut.

I think this is probably a programmer fault - due to the fact that the
hot water light never comes on. A label on the back of the programmer
says the warranty ran out in December 1994, so it's getting on a bit.

The system's due to be ripped out and replaced in a few months, so I'd
rather not buy a new programmer now. Are there any short term hacks I
can try - e.g. change the wiring so the hot water comes on at the same
time as the heating?

Thanks

Olly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Oliver Maunder writes
[...]

Why not ?

Buy a decent one and use it with the new system

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
... ... is offline

On 9 Feb, 21:02, Oliver Maunder wrote:
[...]

open the valve manually and disconnect the power supply to it.
or
switch on the immersor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 10:25*pm, geoff wrote:

Why not ?

Buy a decent one and use it with the new system

Even better - just looked on ebay and there are plenty of replacements
for under a tenner. I saw a couple of £60 prices yesterday which put
me off buying anything.

Since posting I wired the hot water and heating to the same terminal
in the programmer and now the water's hot again. I suppose the
cylinder thermostat isn't going to have any effect anymore, so
hopefully I won't scald myself before the new programmer arrives!

Thanks for the responses.

Olly

Exterior water spigot broken miamicuse Home Repair 12 November 22nd 06 02:19 AM
Broken Water Heater Emaree Home Repair 3 August 1st 05 01:43 PM
Water Heater programmer Mike Home Ownership 11 May 3rd 05 04:44 PM
Broken Water Line ROBERT LADD Home Repair 9 December 19th 04 03:08 PM
REQ: Advice on replacing a CH and Hot Water programmer For Q2 M8 UK diy 9 October 2nd 03 03:15 PM