Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Transformer Wiring

I notice that LED transformers refer to wiring bulbs in series, unless I
am misunderstanding it.

I thought devices had to be wired in parallel to receive the correct
voltage.

Geoff Lane
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Lane wrote:
I notice that LED transformers refer to wiring bulbs in series, unless I
am misunderstanding it.

I thought devices had to be wired in parallel to receive the correct
voltage.

Geoff Lane

You wire then in series to receive the correct current. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 18:48, Geoff Lane wrote:

I notice that LED transformers refer to wiring bulbs in series, unless I
am misunderstanding it.

I thought devices had to be wired in parallel to receive the correct
voltage.

Geoff Lane

Thats why its better to refer to them as drivers, the ones linked to
in previous post are Constant Voltage and you would wire 12V LED lamps
in paralel.

Constant Current drivers , as name implies keep current cinstant and
vary the voltage, these are used with big LEDs and the LEDs
themseleves are wired in series.

What kind of lamp you got?

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

I notice that LED transformers refer to wiring bulbs in series, unless I
am misunderstanding it.

I thought devices had to be wired in parallel to receive the correct
voltage.

Thats why its better to refer to them as drivers, the ones linked to
in previous post are Constant Voltage and you would wire 12V LED lamps
in paralel.

Constant Current drivers , as name implies keep current cinstant and
vary the voltage, these are used with big LEDs and the LEDs
themseleves are wired in series.

What kind of lamp you got?

I'm merely looking to replace some GU5.3 lamps with lower wattage LEDs.

My transformers cannot supply the low current so I am exploring options.

Although the energy saving is attractive it is more the cool bulbs in
loft space that is appealing.

Geoff Lane

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Lane wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:

[...]

Replace the eletronic transformer with a toroidal, they're happy at
any load. If you're not going to revert to halogens you could also use
an ex-appliance 12v transformer, just needs enough rating to power the
LEDs.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb, 01:57, wrote:
Geoff Lane wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:

[...]

Torrodials have apalling regulation unless fully loaded, 20% over
rated voltage ain`t uncommon.

Adam

110v Transformer wiring David G UK diy 8 May 1st 06 10:35 PM
110v transformer wiring David G UK diy 3 May 1st 06 10:28 PM
Using 3ph transformer as single pahse transformer stanley baer Metalworking 5 November 9th 05 05:10 AM
Tstat wiring - dual transformer, 1 "R" connection John Home Repair 3 August 1st 05 04:36 PM
3ph Transformer again, wiring question JohnF Metalworking 0 July 1st 05 07:41 PM