Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to cut hole through 20inches of sandstone?

I'm doing a new batroom for a mate.
He wants to move the position of the WC to an opposite wall.
The wall is an exterior wall on an old victorian sandstone building.
The walls are 20 inches of solid sandstone.

What are my options for cutting the hole for the WC Waste?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Feb, 11:35, kmillar wrote:
I'm doing a new batroom for a mate.
He wants to move the position of the WC to an opposite wall.
The wall is an exterior wall on an old victorian sandstone building.
The walls are 20 inches of solid sandstone.

What are my options for cutting the hole for the WC Waste?

Walls are probably 22" and rubble filled.

Diamond core cutter, easy to hire, you pay when you take it back for
the amount of wear on the blde tips, they measure it with a
microscope.

Its sore, very, on the arms, W.C. easier than ceiling extractor.

Be very aware of blade jamming and drill trying to throw you.

If it was a bigger hole , concrete cutting chainsaw :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhFJS_o6nc

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Feb, 11:35, kmillar wrote:
I'm doing a new batroom for a mate.
He wants to move the position of the WC to an opposite wall.
The wall is an exterior wall on an old victorian sandstone building.
The walls are 20 inches of solid sandstone.

What are my options for cutting the hole for the WC Waste?

Diamond core cutter. For 22" thick wall you will need extension bars
for the mandrel. Also use a vacuum to extract the cutter dust or you
will suffer repeated jamming. I used to have a 127mm cutter with the
appropriate mandrel, extensions and vacuum adapter.It worked fine
using a DeWalt SDS drill and a henry but as with all such kit you need
to have patience and let the cutter do the work not be forcing things.
It took some practice to maintain a straight bore as the weight of the
drill and extenders tends to cause deviation at first.
My kit was Marcrist from Plumb Centre but hire firms may be well worth
looking at.

I doubt the wall is solid and you may have trouble in the middle with
loose stone causing jamming. My drill had a slip clutch which saved my
wrists lots of grief.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks everyone, it's off to the hire shop then!

-K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

kmillar wrote:
I'm doing a new batroom for a mate.
He wants to move the position of the WC to an opposite wall.
The wall is an exterior wall on an old victorian sandstone building.
The walls are 20 inches of solid sandstone.

What are my options for cutting the hole for the WC Waste?

a lot of hard work with a long drill, and then a bolster or cold chisel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 03:35:28 -0800, kmillar wrote:

I'm doing a new batroom for a mate.
He wants to move the position of the WC to an opposite wall.
The wall is an exterior wall on an old victorian sandstone building.
The walls are 20 inches of solid sandstone.

Hmm, a few months ago I did a 6" dia hole through about a foot of poured
concrete wall using an SDS hammer drill and a combination of a large
masonry drill bit and a chisel bit. Fortunately I could get at both sides
of the wall, so I measured and did 6" depth from either side.

(The drill I borrowed from the neighbour, but I bought the bits and they
were surprisingly cheap)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* 'a lot of hard work with a long drill, and then a bolster or cold
chisel.'

erm!! I wouldn't do that.

Hire a diamond core cutter and drill as recommended above.
Mark the centre position of your hole.
Fit the centre drill to the cutter.
Start drilling - NO hammer action - diamond cutters don't like that.
Go at about 1/3 to 1/2 speed. Any faster and you risk ruining the
cutter.
Once the core cutter is about an inch or so into the wall you can
remove the centre drill as it is of no further use
Continue drilling, regularly pulling out the cutter from the wall
(still spinning) in order to clear dust.
If you don't do that it will jam and can be a bugger to free up.
Once you reach about 3/4 of the depth of the cutter, remove the cutter
from the wall.
With a hammer and chisel break out the core and remove any debris.
Continue like this until you get through adding extensions only as you
need them - don't start with them all on - that's awkward.
If you do encounter a rubble filled cavity continue drilling through
it very carefully stopping to remove any loose rubble.

Sandstone is quite soft so this should be an easy job for the diamond
cutter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kmillar" wrote in message
I'm doing a new batroom for a mate.
He wants to move the position of the WC to an opposite wall.
The wall is an exterior wall on an old victorian sandstone building.
The walls are 20 inches of solid sandstone.

What are my options for cutting the hole for the WC Waste?

I'd have probably drilled a ring of smaller holes and then chiselled out,
but your hiring of bigger stuff will probably give you a neater job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-02-05, Adam Aglionby wrote:

If it was a bigger hole , concrete cutting chainsaw :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhFJS_o6nc

Blimey.

[Googles]

Double-blimey.

http://www.cvdltd.co.uk/sawing/chainsaw_video.htm

* * * *[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]

Amazing tool to use - unfortunately, I've only had the excuse once.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-02-05, Adam Aglionby wrote:

If it was a bigger hole , concrete cutting chainsaw :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhFJS_o6nc

Blimey.

[Googles]

Double-blimey.

http://www.cvdltd.co.uk/sawing/chainsaw_video.htm

Ohmigod - I want one of each of them....

Repairing red sandstone Bodger UK diy 12 August 1st 08 10:06 AM
How best to clean sandstone? Stone Cold UK diy 21 January 30th 06 02:30 AM
Sandstone Quoins J B UK diy 8 December 31st 05 03:24 PM
Getting Sandstone Cut ? [news] UK diy 4 April 5th 05 02:03 PM
Pointing for sandstone wattie UK diy 4 December 14th 04 05:20 PM