[news]

Default Getting Sandstone Cut ?

does anyone have any experience of the cost of geting some sandstone
blocks cut to make some steps ? I have a particularly awkward step to
create betwen our kitchen and utility room and I think that a couple of
correctly sized blocks os stone will be the easiest on me and the eye.

derbyshire with all it's quarries are 30 mins away by car so getting it
home in the back of a xantia isn't a problem.

RT

OG

"[news]" wrote in message
does anyone have any experience of the cost of geting some sandstone
blocks cut to make some steps ? I have a particularly awkward step to
create betwen our kitchen and utility room and I think that a couple

of
correctly sized blocks os stone will be the easiest on me and the eye.

derbyshire with all it's quarries are 30 mins away by car so getting

it
home in the back of a xantia isn't a problem.

I got a 3cm slate hearth reduced from 60cm depth to 25cm by taking it to
a monumental mason (tombstones etc) and he did a cut with his stone saw.

Took about 20 minutes and cost about £15 IIR. Not too bad for a one-off
I thought.

Not sandstone, not steps, but might fit.

The Natural Philosopher

[news] wrote:

does anyone have any experience of the cost of geting some sandstone
blocks cut to make some steps ? I have a particularly awkward step to
create betwen our kitchen and utility room and I think that a couple of
correctly sized blocks os stone will be the easiest on me and the eye.

derbyshire with all it's quarries are 30 mins away by car so getting it
home in the back of a xantia isn't a problem.

Blocks Or can yuu use slabs?

Snastone splits easily along teh grain, abut you need to use a diamond
wheel on an angle grinder across it, and finish with mallet and bolster
if you want a 'hand tooled' look.

Its easty enough to do steps out of concrete faced with stone: Buying a
lump sounds overkill..

RT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Its easty enough to do steps out of concrete faced with stone: Buying a
lump sounds overkill..

Mine - Victorian house - had already been replaced by concrete and were
in excellent condition, but just looked wrong. I tiled them in marble, and
I think it looks the dogs' danglies.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:25:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Snastone splits easily along teh grain,

Some (most) _fresh_ sandstone splits along the grain, but recycled
wall masonry is anyone's guess.

Pointing for sandstone wattie UK diy 4 December 14th 04 05:20 PM
uneven slightly damp sandstone slab floor - levelling compound/tiles/carpet? tez UK diy 12 November 3rd 04 10:57 AM
Help needed with an Unlevel Sandstone Floor Mike UK diy 3 October 5th 04 10:03 PM
Mortar mix for sandstone copings Peter Morrill UK diy 8 August 12th 04 08:52 AM
Removing paint from sandstone Nick UK diy 2 July 31st 03 03:00 PM