Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extra Loft Insulation

I've had a recent extension with a bedroom on the loft space of a bungalow.

The loft was insulated probably to minimum standards (builder went skint
and had to get another to finish job) so I would like to put extra in
the loft.

Can I just lay extra rolls over the existing or should I do something
different.

Geoff Lane
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Lane wrote:
I've had a recent extension with a bedroom on the loft space of a bungalow.

The loft was insulated probably to minimum standards (builder went skint
and had to get another to finish job) so I would like to put extra in
the loft.

Can I just lay extra rolls over the existing or should I do something
different.

Yes, that's the normal way of doing it: as has been done by millions
who've topped up their insulation as the requirements have changed over
the years. If your ceiling joists are 'full' of insulation, you
normally add the second layer at 90 deg to the first,

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Yes, that's the normal way of doing it: as has been done by millions
who've topped up their insulation as the requirements have changed over
the years. If your ceiling joists are 'full' of insulation, you
normally add the second layer at 90 deg to the first,

Thanks David, thought that sounded about right but what with building
regs etc I wasn't sure what was the preferred method.

Geoff Lane