Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Energy consumption reduction opinions sought.

"JDT2Q" wrote in message
Hi group,

Today I completed the monthly on line meter readings submission for my
energy supplier and was presented with a bill for about £450 for the past
quarter.
I was amassed.
The bill is paid by monthly direct debit and it just about flatted the
accumulated credit in our account since our last bill.
No doubt the supplier will increase my approx £110 per month direct debit
as we are not out of the winter period yet.
The bill is for both gas and electricity.

Can you tell how the costs split between gas and electricity ? We find we
spend about 2x as much on gas as electricity, so although it's always worth
trimming back the electric bills as much as you can, the bigger savings may
be made by concentrating on the heating (presumably gas CH).

If you've got any little used rooms, turn off the rads and keep the doors
shut. Keep living room doors shut to reduce draughts and keep the heat where
it's needed. etc etc. Turn the thermostats down by 1 or 2 degrees. Switch
the heating off 30 minutes earlier in the morning and afternoon.

That sort of thing.