Martin Carroll

Default Garage Conversion

We have a detached double garage which was built approximately 5-6 years
ago.

I am considering converting half of it to house recording equipment for
my son and was wondering what the implications of doing this are.

The garage wall is a single brick width with two separate up-and-over
doors separated by a brick pier. The roof is made from trussed rafters
and there is one (small) window to the side. There is power to the
garage and the floor is concrete.

My thoughts are to divide the garage down the middle with stud partition
wall, remove the up-and-over door and brick up the opening. This is
where the entrance would be. Inside would be dry lined and possibly a
wooden floor would be built over the existing concrete one.

Would this sort of conversion require planning or building regs. Are
there any major gaffs in the way I am thinking? We don't actually put
cars in the garage, it is currently housing all the usual clutter that
inhabits most garages!

Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received.

Regards

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
BigWallop

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
[...]

If you're making anything like a habitable room, then it will need planning
permission and have to meet fire safety and escape requirements. It will
also need to meet ventilation and heat retention qualities for a habitable
apartment.

If you're thinking of sound recording, then will it spill any noise
pollution to the surrounding properties ? Will it need any special
requirements on power supply to the sound equipment ?

Have a word with your local planning department or a friendly architect.
They'll be able to explain all the needs to you.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

60amp garage supply Rich UK diy 10 October 3rd 03 09:32 AM
Power to Garage and Shed/workshop Eric the Red UK diy 3 August 29th 03 06:22 PM
Garage door opener for side hung doors. David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 August 9th 03 06:20 PM
Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM