Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi Electronic Ear Defenders

How the kinell to these work then?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...09-02-02-13-58

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How the kinell to these work then?

Anti-noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

I'd want to be very sure that Aldi product had all the right approvals
(and still provided good protection with a low or flat battery) - as
noise-induced hearing loss is such an insidious process, and you don't
realise until irreversible harm has been done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
How the kinell to these work then?

Anti-noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

I'd want to be very sure that Aldi product had all the right approvals
(and still provided good protection with a low or flat battery) - as
noise-induced hearing loss is such an insidious process, and you don't
realise until irreversible harm has been done.

I've been using noise-cancelling headphones in aircraft for many years,
they're the dog's wotsits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
How the kinell to these work then?

Anti-noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

I'd want to be very sure that Aldi product had all the right approvals
(and still provided good protection with a low or flat battery) - as
noise-induced hearing loss is such an insidious process, and you don't
realise until irreversible harm has been done.

I have recently been using foam earplugs for protection - rather than my
ordinary defenders. I much prefer them, but they could be awkward on
site or similar. (You need clean hands to handle them and it isn't so
easy to take them out for a moment if you do need to hear someone.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

coughed up some electrons that declared:

How the kinell to these work then?

Anti-noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

I'd want to be very sure that Aldi product had all the right approvals
(and still provided good protection with a low or flat battery) - as
noise-induced hearing loss is such an insidious process, and you don't
realise until irreversible harm has been done.

Personally I wouldn't touch them for this purpose. Ordinary ear defenders
work well - and more importantly, they work consistently.

Things like this are great when you want to shut out most external bibbling,
like on a train, 'plane or working at an office job. But for large machines
and building sites, stick with the simple and reliable products

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Things like this are great when you want to shut out most external bibbling,
like on a train, 'plane or working at an office job. But for large machines
and building sites, stick with the simple and reliable products

Mixed bag. I can see the benefit (though haven't tried them) of those
fancy models that actively "limit" potentially harmful noise, but will
pass speech through normally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

I have recently been using foam earplugs for protection - rather than my
ordinary defenders. I much prefer them, but they could be awkward on
site or similar. (You need clean hands to handle them and it isn't so
easy to take them out for a moment if you do need to hear someone.)

Most sites I have worked on since 1981 have made foam earplugs available
to operatives and staff. They don't eliminate noise, just reduce it, so
you can still hear raised voices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:40:32 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Rod wrote:

I have recently been using foam earplugs for protection - rather than my
ordinary defenders. I much prefer them, but they could be awkward on
site or similar. (You need clean hands to handle them and it isn't so
easy to take them out for a moment if you do need to hear someone.)

Most sites I have worked on since 1981 have made foam earplugs available
to operatives and staff. They don't eliminate noise, just reduce it, so
you can still hear raised voices.

I find that they give me a hollow thudding feeling with every step I take -
most uncomfortable. I much prefer traditional ear defenders, preferably the
clip on type if I've got to wear a hard-hat too.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 18:47:36 +0000, Rod
wrote:

I have recently been using foam earplugs for protection - rather than my
ordinary defenders. I much prefer them, but they could be awkward on
site or similar. (You need clean hands to handle them and it isn't so
easy to take them out for a moment if you do need to hear someone.)

I was involved in ear defender trials some time ago for weapon use
(not just small arms). The earplug type were the least useful of all.
They gave the illusion of protection as the peak attenuation was
within the audible spectrum but allowed ear damaging noise outside
that spectrum through. They were useful for occasional use (such as
passengers on a Hercules) and for use in addition to earmuff types in
exceptional noise environments.

Earmuff types with foam head seals were next best and earmuff with
glycerin filled earpads the best. Beyond a certain level the force
required to clamp the muffs to the head to create a good seal and
exclude noise was so painful it became impractical.

Electronic ear protection came in two sorts. Active cancellation
inverted the noise and amplified the inverted signal to reduce the
sound pressure level within the ear shell. These are excellent in
high noise environments and the only ones we found gave protection in
the highest noise environment we were considering (some aircraft and
inside the engine bay of a Chieftain MBT). They are also very
expensive.

The more common type (and probably the Aldi are these) were simply
earmuffs with a built in amplifier of limited output. These allowed
normal speech through in quiet environments but acted as ear defenders
in noisy ones. For impulse or non-sustained noise they were excellent
but of less use in a sustained noise environment as they simply shut
down.

Unfortunately one of the most damaging sound regimes we found was from
5.56mm small arms fire. Noise damage is not benign, you don't just
loose hearing you also often get Tinnitus - a sustained and very
debilitating continuous sound in the ear (try sleeping with a chainsaw
going non-stop in the room). An awful lot of soldiers and airmen are
going to be retired with hearing damage in the next decade or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:
I have recently been using foam earplugs for protection - rather than my
ordinary defenders. I much prefer them, but they could be awkward on
site or similar. (You need clean hands to handle them and it isn't so
easy to take them out for a moment if you do need to hear someone.)

Most sites I have worked on since 1981 have made foam earplugs available
to operatives and staff. They don't eliminate noise, just reduce it, so
you can still hear raised voices.

Well I have just been referred for ear problems (which might explain a
thing or two) but I do find it difficult to chat with someone whilst
wearing them. But I can hear enough for basic communication. And they
are very effective at reducing the noise I hear.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:
I have recently been using foam earplugs for protection - rather than my
ordinary defenders. I much prefer them, but they could be awkward on
site or similar. (You need clean hands to handle them and it isn't so
easy to take them out for a moment if you do need to hear someone.)

Most sites I have worked on since 1981 have made foam earplugs available
to operatives and staff. They don't eliminate noise, just reduce it, so
you can still hear raised voices.

Well I have just been referred for ear problems (which might explain a
thing or two) but I do find it difficult to chat with someone whilst
wearing them. But I can hear enough for basic communication. And they
are very effective at reducing the noise I hear.

I first came across them when working on a piling project where steel
sheet piles were being driven through sand to a set into sandstone
bedrock using a large diesel piling hammer which was indescribably
noisy. I used both foam earplugs and a pair of ear defenders with the
interior space additionally filled with polyurethane foam. After 12
weeks of this, my ears survived unscathed, and are still fine, but
several people I worked with on the same project (28 years ago) have
suffered hearing loss to varying degrees in the time since.

I do suffer from tinnitus, but I did so long before then, so it wasn't
that project that caused it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

Yes - the types of noise I have endured have been silence compared to
that. One place I used to work switched off the A/C at 17:00. I would
breath a sign of relief and feel as if a weight had been removed from my
shoulders. But I couldn't even hear the damned thing when I arrived in
the mornings.

I too 'suffer' from tinnitus, and have done since around 8 years of age,
a long time. And some mysterious hum which might or might not be to do
with my hearing. (No-one else can hear it.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Yes - the types of noise I have endured have been silence compared to
that. One place I used to work switched off the A/C at 17:00. I would
breath a sign of relief and feel as if a weight had been removed from my
shoulders. But I couldn't even hear the damned thing when I arrived in
the mornings.

Office air conditioning makes a silly amount of noise. But when you
look at the sharp bends in the ducting, it's easy to see why.

I too 'suffer' from tinnitus, and have done since around 8 years of age,
a long time. And some mysterious hum which might or might not be to do
with my hearing. (No-one else can hear it.)

Hmmmm ...

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:

Yes - the types of noise I have endured have been silence compared to
that. One place I used to work switched off the A/C at 17:00. I would
breath a sign of relief and feel as if a weight had been removed from my
shoulders. But I couldn't even hear the damned thing when I arrived in
the mornings.

Office air conditioning makes a silly amount of noise. But when you
look at the sharp bends in the ducting, it's easy to see why.

I too 'suffer' from tinnitus, and have done since around 8 years of age,
a long time. And some mysterious hum which might or might not be to do
with my hearing. (No-one else can hear it.)

Hmmmm ...

;-)

And I can't get away from even here... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Rod" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

It's not always just the aircon. Open plan offices often use low level white
or pink noise to suppress distracting sounds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
How the kinell to these work then?

Anti-noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

I'd want to be very sure that Aldi product had all the right approvals
(and still provided good protection with a low or flat battery) - as
noise-induced hearing loss is such an insidious process, and you don't
realise until irreversible harm has been done.

I've been using noise-cancelling headphones in aircraft for many years,
they're the dog's wotsits.

Bose cost a bit more than sixteen quid a set though.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

OG wrote:

It's not always just the aircon. Open plan offices often use low level
white or pink noise to suppress distracting sounds.

I have thought that might be the case in some places. It certainly
worked!! But I am pretty sure that specific building it was A/C. Did
they use white/pink noise generators 30 years ago?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
How the kinell to these work then?
Anti-noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

I'd want to be very sure that Aldi product had all the right approvals
(and still provided good protection with a low or flat battery) - as
noise-induced hearing loss is such an insidious process, and you don't
realise until irreversible harm has been done.

I've been using noise-cancelling headphones in aircraft for many years,
they're the dog's wotsits.

Bose cost a bit more than sixteen quid a set though.

Colin Bignell

They're actually modified David Clarke, but I take the point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...id=2009-02-02-....

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

These look like the Silverline ones here at Amazon for £17

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-6.../dp/B000QHF97G

More product info on the Amazon site too

dg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
How the kinell to these work then?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...id=2009-02-02-...

No idea, as Aldi don't say.

My guess though is that they're standard ear defenders, but with an
external microphone and speaker so that you can hear what's going on
outside and hold a conversation. If "outside" suddenly gets loud, then
they shut the speaker off automatically.

If they are this sort, I'll be getting some. They're great for
sawmilling with two people, where you do need to talk to each other.

I doubt they're noise cancellers at this price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
How the kinell to these work then?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...09-02-02-13-58

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-c...ing_headphones

links to
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3725010.ece

Owain

Could you imagine how rich you would be if you designed a pair that cut out
the noise of the wife/girlfriend talking?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Could you imagine how rich you would be if you designed a pair that cut
out the noise of the wife/girlfriend talking?

And beeped at the times that you should make arbitrary noises such as "yes
dear", "no dear", "hmm".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
wrote:
How the kinell to these work then?

Anti-noise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphone

I'd want to be very sure that Aldi product had all the right approvals
(and still provided good protection with a low or flat battery) - as
noise-induced hearing loss is such an insidious process, and you don't
realise until irreversible harm has been done.

I have recently been using foam earplugs for protection - rather than my
ordinary defenders. I much prefer them, but they could be awkward on
site or similar. (You need clean hands to handle them and it isn't so
easy to take them out for a moment if you do need to hear someone.)

I put foam ones in when the wife is snoring, problem is I can then hear
my heartbeat/pulse in my ear, just as I am dozing off I wake up with a
start when I notice my heart misses a beat?

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Corporal Jones
saying something like:

I put foam ones in when the wife is snoring, problem is I can then hear
my heartbeat/pulse in my ear, just as I am dozing off I wake up with a
start when I notice my heart misses a beat?

That's normal. Your heartrate when entering sleep, tends to slow in
steps, and the odd missed beat happens. You'd normally not notice it,
but for the earplugs. Try pulling the plugs out slightly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:24:06 +0000, Rod wrote:

Yes - the types of noise I have endured have been silence compared to
that. One place I used to work switched off the A/C at 17:00. I would
breath a sign of relief and feel as if a weight had been removed from my
shoulders. But I couldn't even hear the damned thing when I arrived in
the mornings.

Almost certainly infrasound but if you'd complained the H&S lot would have
come along with a sound level meter and measured for "noise" with the A
weighting scale which mimics the response of the human ear. They seem to
think that if you can't hear it it can't harm you. ******** IMHO.

--
Cheers
Dave.