Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet variflush drop valve - sticking...

Small problem with the bathroom we did in April last year :-}

We've got a variflush drop valve installed, but for some reason, it
doesn't stop after the water has drained.

Tapping the panel that the flush button is mounted in (sometimes
several times) will make it go "clunk" and seal again, but it's a pain
having to stand around to do it.

Anyone got any idea what makes them "stick" ? (i'm wondering if the
cable sleeve is bent too tight or something, preventing it from
resetting itself)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Small problem with the bathroom we did in April last year :-}
We've got a variflush drop valve installed, but for some reason, it
doesn't stop after the water has drained.

Oh, another question on this - it has the two buttons on the front -
how far in do the buttons normally depress ? (if we press ours in ~5mm
it more often than not resets itself, but it naturally wants to go in
about 15mm if you just push it)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Small problem with the bathroom we did in April last year :-}
We've got a variflush drop valve installed, but for some reason, it
doesn't stop after the water has drained.

Oh, another question on this - it has the two buttons on the front -
how far in do the buttons normally depress ? (if we press ours in ~5mm
it more often than not resets itself, but it naturally wants to go in
about 15mm if you just push it)

Sounds like a case for giving it a spray of silicone lubricant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a case for giving it a spray of silicone lubricant.

Don't think i've got any silicone spray, but i've got copperslip,
3-in-1 with PTFE, or white lithium grease in a spray...

Any of them worth a try do you think ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Colin Wilson wrote:
Sounds like a case for giving it a spray of silicone lubricant.

Don't think i've got any silicone spray, but i've got copperslip,
3-in-1 with PTFE, or white lithium grease in a spray...

Any of them worth a try do you think ?

I would not even try them - but I would go out and buy some silicone
spray. (Happen to have some in the shed...) Silicone spray is generally
very plastic-friendly whereas oil products often are not, though quite
often they initially appear to be OK.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
Small problem with the bathroom we did in April last year :-}

We've got a variflush drop valve installed, but for some reason, it
doesn't stop after the water has drained.

Spawn of Satan. Install a proper siphon instead.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Small problem with the bathroom we did in April last year :-}
We've got a variflush drop valve installed, but for some reason, it
doesn't stop after the water has drained.

Spawn of Satan. Install a proper siphon instead.

Hopefully we won't be here much longer (hoping to move), but it'd be
handy to have a working loo in the meantime :-p
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Small problem with the bathroom we did in April last year :-}
We've got a variflush drop valve installed, but for some reason, it
doesn't stop after the water has drained.

Small update, and I think i've cured it - although not by altering the
flush mech in any conventional way...

The central "valve" had some resistance at the top of the "lift" which
I think was supposed to be removed by some mechanism once the cistern
emptied - it was trying to do this, but not quite hard enough (you
could feel the "tug" on the cable when it actually released)

The fix:

Remove the front panel housing the button mech
Unclip the cable release unit from the back
Add a small elastic band to apply slight pressure to the pivot lever
Reclip cable release, and reclip the front panel