Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House Demolition DIY Style ( Poss OT)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

Suppose it depends on how fast the vehicle was travelling - bearing in
mind the occupants all perished presumably quite swiftly, so it would
have made quite a decent wrecking ball.

No doubt there will also have been a fair bit of damage in the aftermath
too, extracting victims, vehicles etc - eg when you see pictures of
vehicles which have been involved in motorway pile-ups, it's normally
after the Fire Brigade have been and done their stuff with their Jaws of
Life, so the vehicles are considerably more mangled than they were
immediately after the crash itself.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

Suppose it depends on how fast the vehicle was travelling - bearing in
mind the occupants all perished presumably quite swiftly, so it would
have made quite a decent wrecking ball.

One report I read suggested something like 80mph... a couple of tonnes
of car and people at that speed is going to make quite a hole.

Looking at the picture it looks rather like there is not much left to
hold up the near end of the roof ridge - so there could be a potential
danger of the roof coming down and spreading the side wall out. One of
the photos also showed some fairly serious full height cracks in the
right flank wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Lobster wrote:
wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

Suppose it depends on how fast the vehicle was travelling - bearing in
mind the occupants all perished presumably quite swiftly, so it would
have made quite a decent wrecking ball.

One report I read suggested something like 80mph... a couple of tonnes of
car and people at that speed is going to make quite a hole.

Looking at the picture it looks rather like there is not much left to hold
up the near end of the roof ridge - so there could be a potential danger
of the roof coming down and spreading the side wall out. One of the photos
also showed some fairly serious full height cracks in the right flank
wall.

The whole house was declared unsafe and demolished yesterday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

Unfortunately something similar happened close to where I live but not
quite as bad. The car just missed the gas fire as it went through the
wall into the lounge. Although the police were around for a while the
real kick in the teeth happened later. After everything was made safe
and boarded up the house was burgled. From what I've heard the family
hadn't removed much stuff because they were always told it was unsafe!!

I did feel sorry for them. The road is used as a bit of a race track at
times and they are right on the corner of a roundabout.

Take care,
Ryan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

Suppose it depends on how fast the vehicle was travelling - bearing in
mind the occupants all perished presumably quite swiftly, so it would
have made quite a decent wrecking ball.

No doubt there will also have been a fair bit of damage in the aftermath
too, extracting victims, vehicles etc - eg when you see pictures of
vehicles which have been involved in motorway pile-ups, it's normally
after the Fire Brigade have been and done their stuff with their Jaws of
Life, so the vehicles are considerably more mangled than they were
immediately after the crash itself.

Not the ones Ive seen

In fact the fire lot will only cut/open what they need to.

Mostly the recovery process consists in rolling what's left onto what
was its wheels, and winching onto a truck.

Ive seen wahts aram raid did to our ocal shop- twice.

It now has a 'disability ramp' of solid concrete 4 ft deep added to its
front!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Lobster wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I wonder whether they are able to rescue any personal stuff from the
house, or if it is all considered too dangerous.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:06:08 +0000, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 15:49:36 +0000, Ryan wrote:

wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

Unfortunately something similar happened close to where I live but not
quite as bad. The car just missed the gas fire as it went through the
wall into the lounge.

I was sitting in a Pub when a car gave it a good wallop,not from
Criminals but an elderly woman who got her cars and pedals mixed up.
Panicked and kept the accelerator in an Auto hard down.
Although only traveling about 30 yards she managed to hit the wall
hard enough that I was slightly injured. The cigarette machine flew
off the wall and hit me. I knew they were supposed to be dangerous
but not like that.
As for the structure of houses it never fails to amaze me that huge
sums are spent on locks,reinforced doors and frame, alarms etc when a
couple of strong chaps equipped with decent sledge hammers and a
crowbar can get a reasonable hole in a brick or block wall in minutes.

The factories and warehouses round here put crash barriers up after
someone put a truck through the brick wall of one and made off with a
truckload of stock
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:

I was sitting in a Pub when a car gave it a good wallop,not from
Criminals but an elderly woman who got her cars and pedals mixed up.
Panicked and kept the accelerator in an Auto hard down.
Although only traveling about 30 yards she managed to hit the wall
hard enough that I was slightly injured. The cigarette machine flew
off the wall and hit me. I knew they were supposed to be dangerous
but not like that.

I had just started a team meeting -- most of my staff were in
the room, but two were dialled in from home. Then, over the
speaker phone, there's this long skidding sound, terminating
in a crash and sound of broken glass. We all went quiet for a
moment, not knowing which of the remote staff that came from.
I'm thinking to myself that I didn't know anyone was dialled
in from their car. Then I thought maybe it was someone's
mobile ringtone? The silence was broken by one of the remote
staff saying "Sorry chaps, got to go -- someone's just crashed
into my car!". Anyway, when I got back to him afterwards, it
turned out that he'd been dialled in from his front room, but
heard the skid and looked out to see his parked car going past.
He hadn't realised we heard it too. An elderly woman who visits
one of his neighbours obviously got her brake and accelerator
mixed up whilst parking. She shunted his car along the road,
causing the skid sound as his handbrake managed to stop the
rear wheels going round. His car then hit a builders van which
was working at another neighbour. The builder said he was just
sitting quietly in his van eating his sandwiches, when he heard
a bang, looked up, and the houses were moving past, as he was
being shunted along too.

Anyway, the little old woman looked as his car and offered him
£50 to get the paint touched up. The fact that he couldn't
open any of the doors beause the car was now shorter didn't
seem to phase her. She also complained that his handbrake
couldn't have been very good, in spite of the two black skid
lines his tyres left down the road. She took weeks to report
the accident to her insurers (actually I'm not sure she ever
did). This caused his claim to take nearly a year, and her
insurance eventually had to pay for nearly a year's car rental
and then the write-off value of his car and a year's storage
in a local garage.

Apparently, she still pulls up outside his house twice a week...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

G.Harman

Never mind a timber framned plaster cottage ;-)

Let's face it, you can smash a window - especially in the first floor -
WHERE THE REGULATIONS INSIST THAT A FIREMAN HAS TO BE ABLE TO GET IN OR
A PERSON JUMP OUT

When my old house was done over, they just jemmied a window..glad that
they did, cos they missed an unlocked door, which would have been
something to explain to the insurance ;-)

Let's face it, half the double galsezd windows are held in with
expanding foam anyway..

Alarms are worth it though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

They would have to be quite stupid chaps as it would be even quicker to
break a window!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:03:05 -0000, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

Not if the windows were all protected by steel shuttering.

The wagon that was used to get into the local factory had been rammed
into the roller door first and failed to get through. That's when they
went through the wall. Totally wrecked the door though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 12:16:15 +0000, a certain chimpanzee,
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7863331.stm
Now you know how easy it is to demolish your house if you need to .

Would you expect this to be the end result of a car hitting it ?

If it's hit the front corner with some force, it will have taken out
the support for the lintel over the front window. It looks like the
floor joists bore onto this wall too, so they will have come down when
the wall did.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?

Help pls: adding 2nd floor to Cape Cod-style house Theo Home Repair 1 November 25th 07 01:19 AM
House style danielok Home Repair 0 September 6th 07 05:40 PM
Craftsman Style House Number Frame Swingman Woodworking 6 October 29th 06 12:15 PM
Painting a Mock Tudor style house question bill norman UK diy 44 May 24th 05 10:14 AM
INSPIRATION - Cabin Style Pine Dog House J T Woodworking 0 January 10th 05 08:50 AM