Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New boiler - what to buy?

New rads and pipes installed last year to an ageing Wicks boiler
Would like to put in a new one either in same position or garage (directly
below)
Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?
1960's Semi, 3 bed.
TIA
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

....then come back with queries

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

...then come back with queries

David

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the ins
and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the
ins and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

I'm looking at Viessmann based on odd snippets from this group, reading
around the intrawebtubes and reading the blurb on the manufacturer's
website.

I haven't got one yet, but they look fairly solid. They do have one or two
restrictions in the datasheet that, say, Worcester Bosch don't, such as a
requirement for water pressure at the boiler (open vented type) to be 0.2
bar = about 2m head to tank.

If not Viessmann, I might look at Worcester Bosch next.

Perhaps some design goals from the OP would be useful: eg is it an open
vented system or sealed; is Vass looking for cheap or long life[1]; small
compact model or don't care?

And most importantly, what fuel (LPG, nat gas or oil)?.

Cheers

Tim

[1] in which case, rephrasing the question to something like: "Which make
goes wrong the least?" might attract some useful answers - there's at least
3 CORGI chaps here plus everyone else's personal experiences.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:20:09 +0000, Tim S wrote:

[...]

That'll be at least four different makes then from just the pros!

I myself would use different makes for different circumstances.
Depending on flue easy or not, combi or not, sealed primary or not.

We tend to like ones that we've seen a lot of and/or installed a lot of,
a model which is unrepairable i.e there are just so many things wrong and
when you fix one fault then something else goes wrong soon gets a poor
mark in my book.

Stock faults are not as bad as you might think for counting against a
model.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

...then come back with queries

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the ins
and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

I've been reading the 'Which Boiler' threads for the last 3 years or so,
as I knew mine was going to need changing.
The stock answer was/is Worcester/Bosch. Then someone (Geoff?) reported
a lot of circuit board failures as they reached ~5 years old.
In my quest for a boiler, I was doing a straight swap, combi for combi.
So, did I go for the supposedly better quality offerings at £750, or the
cheap one at £300?
I went with the cheapy, £330 inc. flue from B+Q, a Heatline Viso (it
then was reduced to £270ish for a few weeks, then went up to £399).
My thinking was that the previous Alpha had cost £800ish 10 years ago,
and had failed on 4 or 5 occasions, and was needing more repairs. At
£330 for a new boiler, if it lasted me five years without breakdowns, it
would be worth it.

In the 4 months I have had it , it has been flawless. Certainly noisier
that the old Alpha, and a poorer design, as it doesnt have space to hide
the pipes behind the boiler, but, for the money, it is fine.
Obviously if you need to pay someone to fit it, then you would have
extra install costs, so it may not be such a bargain, but as I DIY, it
is certainly cost effective for me.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , A.Lee
writes
Dave Baker wrote:

Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

...then come back with queries

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the ins
and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

I've been reading the 'Which Boiler' threads for the last 3 years or so,
as I knew mine was going to need changing.
The stock answer was/is Worcester/Bosch. Then someone (Geoff?) reported
a lot of circuit board failures as they reached ~5 years old.

Yeah, pcbs AND fans

the 24i and 28i are in the premier division for both

the later models are creeping up in "popularity"

[...]

I think that you would expect almost any boiler to be fairly faultless
for that length of time

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:17:11 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , A.Lee
writes

The stock answer was/is Worcester/Bosch. Then someone (Geoff?) reported
a lot of circuit board failures as they reached ~5 years old.

Yeah, pcbs AND fans

the 24i and 28i are in the premier division for both

I take it you mean the old standard efficiency models? Are the PCB faults
generally that pin on the fan relay breaking away from the track? I'm
getting quite glad I carry a soldering iron on the van, between those and
Profile PCBs :-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I've got nothing against racists - I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:

Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

[...]

My Glow Worm 30Sxi just needed a new controller PCB after 3 years
- just after I'd taken-out a BG service contract!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:

Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

[...]

I know it's old news and way too late for any of us to do anything about it
but when you look at the reliability of modern boilers, the repair costs,
the useful total life and compare to old traditional types like my Potterton
which ran for over 20 years with only a new thermocouple every now and then
you wonder how things have improved.

Sure the new boilers are more gas efficient but can't we have both that and
reliability? I think total ownership costs are higher now than they were
with inefficient but reliable boilers.

Why do PCBs fail so often? They are reliable enough in other appliances. If
they are getting too hot is it beyond the wit of the designers to site and
insulate them better?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message

I went with the cheapy, £330 inc. flue from B+Q, a Heatline Viso (it
then was reduced to £270ish for a few weeks, then went up to £399).
My thinking was that the previous Alpha had cost £800ish 10 years ago,
and had failed on 4 or 5 occasions, and was needing more repairs. At
£330 for a new boiler, if it lasted me five years without breakdowns, it
would be worth it.

Good thinking. Only applies to DIY where you can swap out a boiler in half
a day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker
writes
Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

...then come back with queries

David

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the ins
and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

So Dave, what's the car of choice at the moment :-?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:04:30 +0000, Dave Baker wrote:

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the ins
and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

I fit Worcester Bosch, generally 24i Juniors (combis). As decent boilers go
they're reasonably priced and, although the details of case fixings etc
are annoyingly poorly thought out I think the basic design (especially
heat exchangers) is sound. Unlike Poxi-Batterton they don't have a
reputation for shafting their customers (Google "Suprima"). And unlike
Ideal their designs don't chew up and spit out expensive PCBs at the drop
of a hat. And their tech support people (a) answer their phones, and (b)
aren't entirely devoid of Clue.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Fundamentalist agnostic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately the design are 5 years out of date, so avoid. They updating
the range with better OpenTherm control systems, integrated weather
compensation, etc.. Not here yet, so avoid until they come. I would put a
simple heating or system boiler on a thermal store though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

...then come back with queries

David

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the ins
and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

I can give you a definitive recommendation on who to avoid:

Ideal Boilers

We had one. After 5 years it broke a week before christmas (~2003). We
ended up in a dispute between Ideal and British Gas (the installer)
about who's fault it was. At one stage they (Ideal) threaten to take us
to court. I wrote several letters to their MD. etc.

I could post more details but it's a long sorry tale that I have
thankfully mostly forgotten. I am simply left with a reflex... if any
one ever asks about boilers - tell them to avoid Ideal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:20:15 +0000, Robin wrote:

I could post more details but it's a long sorry tale that I have
thankfully mostly forgotten. I am simply left with a reflex... if any
one ever asks about boilers - tell them to avoid Ideal.

Indeed. Just been involved in fixing one for a mate (sparks I sometimes
work with). PCB ovbiously dead, only for about the 3rd time in the, oooh
must be 3 or 4 year life of the beast. New PCB fitted, this time from well
known reconditioner of PCBs and the like. Boiler then powers up without
blowing any fuses and shows an error code which indicates fan problem. So
new fan neded as well. According to well known reconditioner fan fault can
blow PCB. Well known reconditioiner opines scathing view of Ideal controls
design, not fit for family audience but clue: initials P, O and S. Your
correspondent agrees. Unfortunate owner of particular P, O and S resolve
to replace said as soon as weather and your correspondent's workload
permit.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

There's nowt as queer as folk.
Especially other folk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Indeed. Just been involved in fixing one for a mate (sparks I sometimes
work with). PCB ovbiously dead, only for about the 3rd time in the, oooh
must be 3 or 4 year life of the beast. New PCB fitted, this time from well
known reconditioner of PCBs and the like. Boiler then powers up without
blowing any fuses and shows an error code which indicates fan problem. So
new fan neded as well. According to well known reconditioner fan fault can
blow PCB.

Funnily enough, the PCB on our Worcester Bosch has had to be replaced
either two or three times now, along with pretty much everything else
electrical in it (fan, transformer and so on)

The PCB on the WB is also a POS that is designed to break if the fan
goes - no damage limitation devices such as (gasp) a fuse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , YAPH
writes
[...]

Unfortunately the well known reconditioner might say more or less the
same against many other boiler manufacturers

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
Dave Baker wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

[...]

So, on a statistical spread of one, and no experience of anything else

excuse me if I don't take your whingeing seriously

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
Dave Baker wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

[...]

Mm. I've have an Ideal boiler fitted in a rented-out property for about
4-5 years and it's been brilliant; given me no trouble at all. So I
guess I'd unhesitatingly reccommend Ideal to anyone.

Unlike the bloody Vaillant condensing boiler in my own house...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
Dave Baker wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

[...]

When the heat exchanger failed, Ideal would only agree to replace it if
the original was sent back to them for diagnoses and only if we sent
them £170 for the same.

I took them 6 months and a lot of effort to eventually agree that the
exchanger had a fault. (The fault occurred in December).

I'm fortunate that I had the cash to get a new boiler in while all this
bad business practice was going on.

Many other people would not. Sometimes whingeing is a public service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-01-22, geoff wrote:
In message , Robin
writes

I could post more details but it's a long sorry tale that I have
thankfully mostly forgotten. I am simply left with a reflex... if any
one ever asks about boilers - tell them to avoid Ideal.

So, on a statistical spread of one, and no experience of anything else

excuse me if I don't take your whingeing seriously

Why bother taking the chance? Even if the boilers
are reliable, the company is obviously a PITA to deal with.

Quite right.

Won't be for long though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...g-experts.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

...then come back with queries

David

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the
ins and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

exactly, thanks Dave
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Vass wrote:

Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?

Suggest you try:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

...then come back with queries

David

I think most people, myself included, would just like a definitive
recommendation to a make or model rather than a general treatise on the
ins and outs. The most important thing I suspect is which makes are most
reliable. I still have no idea.

exactly, thanks Dave

Could you tell us more then, as per my first message - some of these things
depend on what your goals are.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vass" wrote in message
New rads and pipes installed last year to an ageing Wicks boiler
Would like to put in a new one either in same position or garage (directly
below)
Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?
1960's Semi, 3 bed.

Go for a good flow combi, if the cold mains is up to it. Ditch the
cylinders, power shower pumps and tanks. Avoid the Worcester-Bosch. They
are 5 years out of date with poor control systems. Vaillant are not far
behind and are expensive.

Look at a the Dutch Broag Avantaplus 35C or 39C combi.
http://www.avantaplus.co.uk
Broag are made by Remeha who are well established in commercial boilers in
the UK.

The 39C is £917 inc VAT, that is very well priced for a 40kW boiler.
http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/ca...meha%20Boilers

http://www.centurionhbs.co.uk/shop/p... entID=&sort=

Look at the combi options pages 17 to 21. The outside senors etc, are extra.
http://www.avantaplus.com/docs/Issue...%20Booklet.pdf

Have a Magnaclean filter on the return to the boiler. That will prevent any
blocking up of the tubes in the heat exchanger. The same for all boilers.

The Broag, has a 5 year guarantee. They use primarily industry standard
components and little plastic with Gianonni stainless steel heat exchangers,
Honeywell brass hydroblocks, Grundfos pumps, etc. The Broags are better
quality than Vaillant and much cheaper. They are a well priced quality
boilers having a superb control system with integrated outside weather
compensation and OpenTherm protocol control. Buy the outside weather
temperature sensor and use weather compensation - great comfort conditions
and economy. You will not look back.

The heating and system boilers are "dual temperature" boilers. These types
of boilers are few are far between, but will reheat a cylinder suoper fast
at top temperature and then revert to lower weather compensation
temperatures when heating the rads.

The best price/performance around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan, 15:58, "Vass" wrote:
New rads and pipes installed last year to an ageing Wicks boiler
Would like to put in a new one either in same position or garage (directly
below)
Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?
1960's Semi, 3 bed.
TIA
--
Vass

Hi,

We had a Vaillant ecoTEC+ 937 fitted in October, it's been brilliant
far, it's very quiet and the hot water performance is excellent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
On 21 Jan, 15:58, "Vass" wrote:
New rads and pipes installed last year to an ageing Wicks boiler
Would like to put in a new one either in same position or garage
(directly
below)
Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?
1960's Semi, 3 bed.
TIA
--
Vass

Hi,

We had a Vaillant ecoTEC+ 937 fitted in October, it's been brilliant
far, it's very quiet and the hot water performance is excellent.

Very expensive for what it is, massive on the wall and poor flowrated one
the 15 litre is empty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jan, 23:02, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"David" wrote in message

On 21 Jan, 15:58, "Vass" wrote:
New rads and pipes installed last year to an ageing Wicks boiler
Would like to put in a new one either in same position or garage
(directly
below)
Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?
1960's Semi, 3 bed.
TIA
--
Vass

Hi,

We had a Vaillant ecoTEC+ 937 fitted in October, it's been brilliant
far, it's very quiet and the hot water performance is excellent.

Very expensive for what it is, massive on the wall and poor flowrated one
the 15 litre is empty.

Take your medication and go to sleep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message

On 21 Jan, 15:58, "Vass" wrote:
New rads and pipes installed last year to an ageing Wicks boiler
Would like to put in a new one either in same position or garage
(directly
below)
Whats the boiler of choice at the moment?
1960's Semi, 3 bed.
TIA
--
Vass

Hi,

We had a Vaillant ecoTEC+ 937 fitted in October, it's been brilliant
far, it's very quiet and the hot water performance is excellent.

Very expensive for what it is, massive on the wall and poor flowrated one
the 15 litre is empty.

Take your medication and go to sleep.

You are an idiot!

You have no experience with my boiler, I live with it and enjoy
powerful showers with it. Even when the store is exhausted 15l/min is
pretty good and hardly anyone spends more than 10 minutes continuously
under the shower.
So just take your medication my old friend and go to sleep.