Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood Burning Stoves - am I doing something wrong?

I have a wood bruning stove which works fine on the face of it. But I
seem to get through masses of wood !
I would like to put a few logs in and let them kind of simmer over
night, but I have to pack it to the gunnells for it to survive. I have
the unit fully damped down with just a glow near the bottom, but it
burns all the contents overnight. It's a10Kw stove with a damper in
the flue and two low and two high air control valves.

Some basic questions.
How do I make the wood last longer? I have read about people drying
out wood for 12 months and splitting to aid the drying but this seems
to be done for wood to burn cleaner and hotter - whereas I just want
it to burn longer to make my stock last.

Do I need to protect the base of the stove? I have put some fire
bricks in the bottom - was this misguided? I always maintain a bed of
ash for the logs to sit in, but perhaps the ash is too high up and
nearer the vents? I was concered because the side walls and the back
have fire bricks hanging in place for protection, but there'e nothing
for the bottom. A full on grate is supplied if ever I wanted to use
coal, but nothing for log burning on an ash bed. the bottom of the
stove has ribs so it's not a completely flat base, I am thinking up
using the ash pan that is supplied with the grate. It could sit on the
ribs to provide a bit or protection - I don't to scorch this area.

Where can I buy a new handle for the door? It's a wooden handle and a
brassh square section that starts at 15mm square and tapers back to
20mm - I am struggling to find this kind of replacement item on the
internet.

I cleaned the flue 9th September 08 I have run the cooker / stove 24/7
ever since. Today 12th Jan 09 - we have blocked flue - I presume it's
because of the build up clinker on the sides of the flue and at the
pot - because of the volume of wood that we have got through and the
damped overnight burn - I am presuming that when running with flames
and full heat/draught then no build up can occur.

Any advice would be greately appreciated.

Kev.

Some questions about wood/coal burning stoves [email protected] UK diy 3 December 17th 08 10:42 PM
Wood burning stoves Doki UK diy 16 November 24th 06 02:30 PM
Wood burning stoves - what is the state of the art? Tim UK diy 52 August 24th 06 02:26 PM
Where can I get comparisons between wood burning furnaces (not stoves)? dean Home Ownership 0 September 16th 05 09:27 PM
Wood Burning Stoves andrewpreece UK diy 4 August 19th 03 11:49 AM