Posted to uk.d-i-y
andrew andrew is offline

Default Wood Burning Stoves - am I doing something wrong?

wrote:

I have a wood bruning stove which works fine on the face of it. But I
seem to get through masses of wood !
I would like to put a few logs in and let them kind of simmer over
night, but I have to pack it to the gunnells for it to survive. I have
the unit fully damped down with just a glow near the bottom, but it
burns all the contents overnight.

I doubt it burns the wood, it pyrolises the wood and vents the "offgas", a
smog of gaseous products of incomplete combustion and particulates and
vents them up the chimney...

I cleaned the flue 9th September 08 I have run the cooker / stove 24/7
ever since. Today 12th Jan 09 - we have blocked flue -

.... where the tars condese out and line the chimney, eventually blocking it.

AJH