Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extracting wall plugs

Her-in-Doors has requested that a CD holder be removed which was
attached to a hard plastered brick wall by plastic plugs. She now of
course wants the plugs removed / covered up.

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? Extraction doesn't
seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top surface off
and then fill.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 17:52, robgraham wrote:
Her-in-Doors has requested that a CD holder be removed which was
attached to a hard plastered brick wall by plastic plugs. *She now of
course wants the plugs removed / covered up.

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? *Extraction doesn't
seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top surface off
and then fill.

Thanks
Rob

I've never had any problem with loosely inserting a screw finger tight
with only a couple of turns and then removing with a claw hammer. The
wall plug usually comes with the screw. If the top coat of plaster is
particularly loose then you might pull a bit of plaster off as well
but you were going to fill before painting weren't you?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
Her-in-Doors has requested that a CD holder be removed which was
attached to a hard plastered brick wall by plastic plugs. She now

of
course wants the plugs removed / covered up.

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? Extraction

doesn't
seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top surface

off
and then fill.

Thanks
Rob

Usually if you screw a woodscrew in half way, then use a claw hammer
to pull the screw out they give up and admit defeat. You may want to
use a piece of plywood under the hammer to protect the plaster.
Failing that, use a suitable masonary drill to bore it out and plaster
over.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"robgraham" wrote in message
Her-in-Doors has requested that a CD holder be removed which was
attached to a hard plastered brick wall by plastic plugs. She now of
course wants the plugs removed / covered up.

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? Extraction
doesn't seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top
surface off and then fill.

Thanks
Rob

Usually if you screw a woodscrew in half way, then use a claw hammer
to pull the screw out they give up and admit defeat. You may want to
use a piece of plywood under the hammer to protect the plaster.
Failing that, use a suitable masonary drill to bore it out and plaster
over.

AWEM

Or use a suitable drift to drive it further into the hole, and then apply
filler.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 19:15, wrote:
robgraham wrote:
Her-in-Doors has requested that a CD holder be removed which was
attached to a hard plastered brick wall by plastic plugs. *She now of
course wants the plugs removed / covered up.

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? *Extraction doesn't
seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top surface off
and then fill.

Thanks
Rob

For the very few that really wont come out I find an angle grinder the
quickest solution. A quick gentle pass over it and everything's below
the surface ready to fill. You should get it out using a screw though,
1/4" in, and with claw hammer to lever it if necessary.

NT

Hey - someone had to come up with the 'angle grinder' suggestion.
Well done NT !! The solution for everything.

The reason for asking is that I had tried the claw hammer technique
and there was sufficient resistance that I was concerned about pulling
the plaster off. I think on re-inspection that they are far enough in
that I may be able to get away with just filler.

Thanks
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? *Extraction doesn't
seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top surface off
and then fill.

If inserting a screw part way and pulling doesn't get it out try a pair of
thin long nosed pliers. Force one point between the plug and the wall and
the other down the centre of the plug then grip hard, twist and pull. That
often does the trick for me. Sometimes the plug breaks off part way down
and you need to repeat the process for the other side but you're left with
sufficient of a hole to put filler in.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:52:20 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this ? Extraction doesn't
seem to work so my thoughts were to try and drill the top surface off
and then fill.

Pulling usually removes a chunk of (our) plaster so now I use a hot air blower
to melt the things - scrape a bit of the mess out to leave room for some filler.

--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 17:52, robgraham wrote:

Has anyone found a quick and easy way to do this?

You don't usually need them removed, just made invisible.

Narrow chisel (Lidl's finest "cheap Chinoiserie for hitting into nasty
things") to prune the top down well below surface, then filler over.

Using Wall Plugs - the modern way or a bodge? DavidM UK diy 7 May 6th 08 10:21 PM
dead wall plugs suddenly tenplay Home Repair 9 June 2nd 06 08:54 AM
Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret? Peter Hucker UK diy 24 July 20th 05 01:45 AM
Screws - Wall plugs John UK diy 10 December 17th 04 10:53 PM
Extracting hot air ... Huge UK diy 1 July 20th 03 06:18 PM