Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sub base for block paving

Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am setting
about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is already
done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a demolished wall
and broken concrete from the old foundations of a greenhouse as the hardcore
for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between the
concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am
setting about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is
already done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a
demolished wall and broken concrete from the old foundations of a
greenhouse as the hardcore for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between
the concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Kevin

Did you get planning permission???
Also thanks to Mr Brown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am setting
about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is already
done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a demolished wall
and broken concrete from the old foundations of a greenhouse as the hardcore
for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between the
concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Kevin

If its limestone MOT, just keep running a car over it until it isn't ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am
setting about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is
already done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a
demolished wall and broken concrete from the old foundations of a
greenhouse as the hardcore for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between
the concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Kevin

Did you get planning permission???
Also thanks to Mr Brown.

Not yet but I am putting a soak away in.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message

"MikeS" wrote in message
om...

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am
setting about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is
already done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a
demolished wall and broken concrete from the old foundations of a
greenhouse as the hardcore for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between
the concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Kevin

Did you get planning permission???
Also thanks to Mr Brown.

Not yet but I am putting a soak away in.

Or just do it like I did 5 square meters do it, take photo then leave it a
few weeks then another 5 square meters. Then leave it another couple of
months and another 5 square meters

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am
setting about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is
already done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a
demolished wall and broken concrete from the old foundations of a
greenhouse as the hardcore for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between
the concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

www.pavingexpert.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a look here http://www.pavingexpert.com/

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am
setting about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is
already done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a
demolished wall and broken concrete from the old foundations of a
greenhouse as the hardcore for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between
the concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Don't do what I did and use a very weak sand/cement mix.
The bloody stuff is too soft and the rats are digging tunnels under my
paving.
They are just wide enough for the blocks to fall in when you step on them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am
setting about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive
is already done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a
demolished wall and broken concrete from the old foundations of a
greenhouse as the hardcore for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids
between the concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Kevin

Unless your concrete/brick is at least 200mm (8 inches) below the desired
finish level, they'll have to come out, or get mashed up with something
hefty.

If the gaps are too small for MOT the bulky stuff will have to come out,
because it needs to be flat and you can't get it flat with big lumps, they
will rock and you can't pack them down properly, IE mechanically - you need
a whacker, or if it's going to get driven over, a vibrating roller, and you
compact everything, add a layer of MOT, compact again, add another layer,
compact again until you reach the desired height, then you trammel out a
50mm bed of gritsand so that it is perfectly flat and lay each block on top,
and then whack over the blocks to push them down evenly into the gritsand
(I'm looking in denis's direction here, Re; the rat situation), the gritsand
becomes so compacted that nothing can get through it.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am setting
about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is already
done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a demolished wall
and broken concrete from the old foundations of a greenhouse as the hardcore
for the paving.
Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between the
concrete.
MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Type 1 MoT is the stuff to use. Well compacted with a plate vibrator it
makes an ideal sub base.

--
Cheers,

John.

Block Paving [email protected] UK diy 3 June 20th 07 07:57 PM
Extending block paving. sm_jamieson UK diy 2 May 10th 07 05:08 AM
Block paving - in between the gaps icornish UK diy 11 August 25th 05 11:18 AM
Block paving I'm not crofter either UK diy 5 August 19th 05 03:08 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM