Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aluminium / Copper / Lead roof

I'm considering using some aluminium sheet as a capping for some brickwork -
is there any chance of a reaction with the existing copper and lead on the
roof? They won't be in physical contact but the water will run/drip from
the aluminium onto the copper and lead roof.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Andrews wrote:
I'm considering using some aluminium sheet as a capping for some
brickwork - is there any chance of a reaction with the existing copper
and lead on the roof? They won't be in physical contact but the water
will run/drip from the aluminium onto the copper and lead roof.

Don't think aluminium is a good material for this otherwise it'd be more
common. Zinc is usually considered the cheapest metal for this sort of
use. Of course it could be due to the difficulties of jointing ally - it
can't really be soldered or brazed at a reasonable cost - but it also
tends to corrode quite badly in its natural state.

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
I'm considering using some aluminium sheet as a capping for some
brickwork - is there any chance of a reaction with the existing copper and
lead on the roof? They won't be in physical contact but the water will
run/drip from the aluminium onto the copper and lead roof.

Peter

If there is no contact you will not have a problem.

If you had any contact the aluminium would go first.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 16:46, "Baz" wrote:
"Peter Andrews" wrote in message

I'm considering using some aluminium sheet as a capping for some
brickwork - is there any chance of a reaction with the existing copper and
lead on the roof? *They won't be in physical contact but the water will
run/drip from the aluminium onto the copper and lead roof.

Peter

If there is no contact you will not have a problem.

If you had any contact the aluminium would go first.

Baz

Use 'Super Purity Aluminium'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Don't think aluminium is a good material for this otherwise it'd be
more common. Zinc is usually considered the cheapest metal for this
sort of use. Of course it could be due to the difficulties of jointing
ally - it can't really be soldered or brazed at a reasonable cost -
but it also tends to corrode quite badly in its natural state.

Aluminium is supplied as flashing by Velux for their windows.

Still can't think why that would be better than zinc. Lead would be even
better.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 23:26:16 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote
:
Aluminium is supplied as flashing by Velux for their windows.

Still can't think why that would be better than zinc. Lead would
be even better.

No, because on most Velux installations the top and side gutters
are self-supporting. Lead gutters need to be laid on continuous
boarding.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 23:26:16 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote
:
Aluminium is supplied as flashing by Velux for their windows.

Still can't think why that would be better than zinc. Lead would
be even better.

No, because on most Velux installations the top and side gutters
are self-supporting. Lead gutters need to be laid on continuous
boarding.

Ok. And of course you do get extruded aluminium guttering.
I'd still prefer a more malleable material for the OP's use.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Andrews wrote:
I'm considering using some aluminium sheet as a capping for some brickwork -
is there any chance of a reaction with the existing copper and lead on the
roof? They won't be in physical contact but the water will run/drip from
the aluminium onto the copper and lead roof.

I'd say not, but aluminium suffers badly from slats..like wot leches out
of brickwork, and indeed any other sorts of cheistry. Its fine if kept
dry, and free from ions, but it is a highly reactive metal that depends
on its ability to instantly form a tough oxide layer at the surface to
protect it: anything that subverts that oxide layer, will kill it.

I fear there may be many things out there in your evironment that will.

Copper and lead are far less reactive. Despite it being an erler
technology, there are, for example, many bronze swords in museums, but
very few steel ones predating the `Conquest.

I rest my case..
Peter