Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default embedded copper in aluminium foil??

Guys,
Been reading these pages and you've got me concerned. A couple of months
back I embedded some 10mm copper pipes in a wall for my new radiators.
I used aluminium kitchen foil to cover the pipes before filling the voids
with interior filler. I am am now about to tile over this for one rad,
and fit kitchen cupboards over another filled area. I have seen
some people mention that copper + aluminium = corrosion. What corrodes?
The aluminium or the copper? I covered the copper pipes for about two
feet in this fashion. Should I remove this aluminium foil? Would what I
have done cause problems down the line?

--
/home/steve/new file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 08:15:45 -0600, Kaiser Sose wrote:

|Guys,
|Been reading these pages and you've got me concerned. A couple of months
|back I embedded some 10mm copper pipes in a wall for my new radiators.
|I used aluminium kitchen foil to cover the pipes before filling the voids
|with interior filler.

|I am am now about to tile over this for one rad,
|and fit kitchen cupboards over another filled area. I have seen
|some people mention that copper + aluminium = corrosion. What corrodes?
|The aluminium or the copper? I covered the copper pipes for about two
|feet in this fashion.

Copper corrodes aluminium.

http://www.terrific-scientific.co.uk...orrosion-7.htm
So we can confidently predict that if aluminium and copper were joined

together in the solution, the aluminium would corrode, and the copper would
be protected.

| Should I remove this aluminium foil? Would what I
|have done cause problems down the line?

No you will lose the aluminium foil eventually.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 08:15:45 -0600, Kaiser Sose wrote:

Guys,
Been reading these pages and you've got me concerned. A couple of months
back I embedded some 10mm copper pipes in a wall for my new radiators.
I used aluminium kitchen foil to cover the pipes before filling the voids
with interior filler. I am am now about to tile over this for one rad,
and fit kitchen cupboards over another filled area. I have seen
some people mention that copper + aluminium = corrosion. What corrodes?
The aluminium or the copper? I covered the copper pipes for about two
feet in this fashion. Should I remove this aluminium foil? Would what I
have done cause problems down the line?

It's unlikely to be too much of a problem inside the house and away from a
damp environment.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 3:10 pm, The Wanderer wrote:

It's unlikely to be too much of a problem inside the house and away from a
damp environment.

The walls will always contain some moisture (electrolyte) and so set
up a galvanic corrosion cell between the aluminium anode & copper
cathode. Seen similar (copper pipes, steel pipes, steel
reinforcement).

As to whether it will become a problem, I have no idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jan 2007 07:20:52 -0800, Aidan wrote:

On Jan 7, 3:10 pm, The Wanderer wrote:

It's unlikely to be too much of a problem inside the house and away from a
damp environment.

The walls will always contain some moisture (electrolyte) and so set
up a galvanic corrosion cell between the aluminium anode & copper
cathode. Seen similar (copper pipes, steel pipes, steel
reinforcement).

True. Having had many years experience of the problems presented by bimetal
joints exposed to the elements, I am aware of just how much of a problem
corrosion can present, but it ain't likely to be too much of a problem in
the situation mentioned by the OP.

As to whether it will become a problem, I have no idea.

No, and nor do I, but I can't see there being much likelihood of severe
corrosion in the circumstances I mentioned.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 4:48 pm, The Wanderer wrote:

I'm baffled why people still embed copper pipes in walls and screeds,
wrapped in anything.

Plastic PEX pipe inside a bit of conduit pipe, problem solved. Much
neater.

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/154.asp
Only likely problem is if rodents can get access to the plastic, then
they may gnaw at it.

Failing that, wrap the copper in Denso tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

http://www.terrific-scientific.co.uk...orrosion-7.htm

Fabulous site!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 21:52:25 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| http://www.terrific-scientific.co.uk...orrosion-7.htm
|

|Fabulous site!

Google Advance Search is your friend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 7, 4:48 pm, The Wanderer wrote:

I'm baffled why people still embed copper pipes in walls and screeds,
wrapped in anything.

Plastic PEX pipe inside a bit of conduit pipe, problem solved. Much
neater.

Gas pipes can't be plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 8, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Gas pipes can't be plastic.

The OP said;

"A couple of months
back I embedded some 10mm copper pipes in a wall for my new
radiators."

Do you circulate hot gas through your radiators, Drivel?
An interesting concept, but then you seem to have an excess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 7, 4:48 pm, The Wanderer wrote:

I'm baffled why people still embed copper pipes in walls and screeds,
wrapped in anything.

Plastic PEX pipe inside a bit of conduit pipe, problem solved. Much
neater.

Gas pipes can't be plastic.

When my brother moved into his last house the cooker's gas supply was
via a bit of hosepipe and a couple of jubilee clips

So, they can - but not legally

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Aidan" wrote in message
roups.com...

On Jan 7, 4:48 pm, The Wanderer wrote:

I'm baffled why people still embed copper pipes in walls and screeds,
wrapped in anything.

Plastic PEX pipe inside a bit of conduit pipe, problem solved. Much
neater.

Gas pipes can't be plastic.

When my brother moved into his last house the cooker's gas supply was via
a bit of hosepipe and a couple of jubilee clips

That is Corgi for you Maxie.