Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Fitted kitchen quote

Kitchen 9ft X 7ft

We've been quoted 15K by a company that has done (good) work for us in the
past - this includes a few appliances (hob, oven, fridge) + Granite
worktops (3).

Doesn't include floor tiling or removing wall tiles and skimming walls.

Me thinks this is OTT :-( SWMBO wants to go ahead with it. We are not a
happy couple ATM :-(

Thoughts please.

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 20:31:57 +0000, Hugh Jampton
wrote:

Kitchen 9ft X 7ft

We've been quoted 15K by a company that has done (good) work for us in the
past - this includes a few appliances (hob, oven, fridge) + Granite
worktops (3).

Doesn't include floor tiling or removing wall tiles and skimming walls.

Me thinks this is OTT :-( SWMBO wants to go ahead with it. We are not a
happy couple ATM :-(

Thoughts please.

TIA.

Yikes! That sounds like an insane amount of money to me, particularly
considering the size of your kitchen and without any skimming or
tiling.

Our kitchen is 15 x 12, I went out and found a good self employed
kitchen fitter (with proven references in my area) and told him just
to quote me for labour to rip out the old kitchen, remove the tiles,
reskim where necessary, then fit a new kitchen, re-tile, plumb a new
dishwasher, repaint the ceiling and untiled portion of the walls. The
labour was £1200 and it took him 6 full days. Yes it was relatively
expensive at 200 quid per day but he did a first class job in all
areas. Yes we had to supply all the materials which some would
consider a bit of a pain, but we were able to choose every single item
ourselves and shop around to get quality stuff at a reasonable price.

So just ask yourself, what materials/appliances could you buy for
£13.5K? A damn sight more than you've been quoted for I imagine...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:06:13 +0000, Bovvered? wrote:

snipped

So just ask yourself, what materials/appliances could you buy for
£13.5K? A damn sight more than you've been quoted for I imagine...

Thanks Bovvered :-)

I agree with your reply - unfortunately SWMBO probably won't :-(

I'll add a bit from the quote :-

AEG Induction hob - £780
Granite worktops (3) - £2580

Me thinks these are crazy prices.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh Jampton wrote:
Kitchen 9ft X 7ft

We've been quoted 15K by a company that has done (good) work for us
in the past - this includes a few appliances (hob, oven, fridge) +
Granite worktops (3).

Doesn't include floor tiling or removing wall tiles and skimming
walls.

Me thinks this is OTT :-( SWMBO wants to go ahead with it. We are not
a happy couple ATM :-(

Thoughts please.

TIA.

As Bovvered has already said, he's ripping you off to the tune of 13 grand.

A half decent kitchen, including appliances will set you back less than a
grand, then you want granite tops....the last time I looked they were around
£100 per linear metre...even if there were 10 metres of worktop this would
only come to another grand, which is 2K.
Even if my workings out are miles out and you want something spectacular and
unusual and decide to double the above prices, you couldn't possibly get it
past 4K, unless you inist on solid gold handles and platinum hinges.

As an example, a person I know recently supplied and fitted a kitchen in a
similar sized room as yours, everything bog standard:
2 double base units, 1 sink unit and SS sink (taps waste etc inc)
1 electric SS oven, 1 SS gas hob and SS hood
2 double and one single wall cupboards

units were beech with slimline SS handles
2X 4m worktops

All the above was had for £600.

He purchased some 'end of line' 8X4 tiles for about £2 M2 for the walls and
stripped off the old ones, patch plastered and re-tiled, and fitted the
above kitchen in 6 days and charged the customer a grand total of £2K, 1300
of which was profit.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Kitchen 9ft X 7ft

We've been quoted 15K by a company that has done (good) work for us
in the past - this includes a few appliances (hob, oven, fridge) +
Granite worktops (3).

Doesn't include floor tiling or removing wall tiles and skimming
walls.

Me thinks this is OTT :-( SWMBO wants to go ahead with it. We are
not a happy couple ATM :-(

Thoughts please.

TIA.

Replying through Bovvered? as all " addresses are filtered
out.

Does that quote include any interest payments for a loan to finance the
works? If so, what was the interest rate?

If the above apply, then the cost of the 'works' may well be reasonable -
depending upon the interest rate - otherwise it seem excessive.

Woodworm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:06:13 +0000, Bovvered? wrote:

snipped

So just ask yourself, what materials/appliances could you buy for
£13.5K? A damn sight more than you've been quoted for I imagine...

Thanks Bovvered :-)

I agree with your reply - unfortunately SWMBO probably won't :-(

I'll add a bit from the quote :-

AEG Induction hob - £780
Granite worktops (3) - £2580

AEG Induction hob = £394
http://www.bootskitchenappliances.co...de=64100KFN_BK

Granite worktops = from £300 each
http://www.granite4less.co.uk/prices.html

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Phil L
wrote:

A half decent kitchen, including appliances will set you back less
than a grand,

Only if it fell off the back of a lorry!

As an example, a person I know recently supplied and fitted a kitchen
in a similar sized room as yours, everything bog standard:
2 double base units, 1 sink unit and SS sink (taps waste etc inc)
1 electric SS oven, 1 SS gas hob and SS hood
2 double and one single wall cupboards

units were beech with slimline SS handles
2X 4m worktops

All the above was had for £600.

Care to quote makes and models for kit? From what I've seen, half-way decent
ovens, hobs and cooker hoods are likely to cost approaching £600 *each*
without any units to put them in.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 22:01:36 -0000, Don wrote:

AEG Induction hob = £394
http://www.bootskitchenappliances.co...de=64100KFN_BK

Granite worktops = from £300 each
http://www.granite4less.co.uk/prices.html

Yep - done all that - crazy prices me thinks.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:37:01 GMT, Phil L wrote:

As Bovvered has already said, he's ripping you off to the tune of 13 grand.

snipped but read

Thanks Phil L

Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I expalin
it to SWMBO ?? :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:57:27 -0000, Woodworm wrote:

Does that quote include any interest payments for a loan to finance the
works?

No !

I'm getting on a bit and am very old fashioned. I don't have loans and
don't believe in that way of life - sorry ..... :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:37:01 GMT, Phil L wrote:

As Bovvered has already said, he's ripping you off to the tune of 13
grand.

snipped but read

Thanks Phil L

Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I
expalin
it to SWMBO ?? :-)

Ask her how many pairs of shoes she can buy with the savings ;-)

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:37:01 GMT, Phil L wrote:

As Bovvered has already said, he's ripping you off to the tune of 13 grand.

snipped but read

Thanks Phil L

Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I expalin
it to SWMBO ?? :-)

How much is house worth before work?

How much would house be worth after work?

If the difference is (much) less than the cost, why?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message

snip

Granite worktops (3) - £2580

I'd priced a set at about the same amount from a local company in Maidstone.
Actually seems to be a fairly typical price[1]

Granite worktops = from £300 each
http://www.granite4less.co.uk/prices.html

[1] But this lot, even allowing for 450 fitting would come out quite a lot
cheaper. Excellent - I shall add them to my list.

BTW - My first pricing for a kitchen (mid sized) came to about 5000
materials, including granite tops and oak fronted doors.

I'm looking to knock that back but still get something that will last.

But back to the OP's original quote. One one hand, if you specify fancy then
the materials can easily get up 7k-9k including the appliances. Labour
seems high though considering no floor or wall work - I'd expect the lot
for that sort of money.

Of course, it's quite possible to have a kitchen fitted for a lot lot less.
I think the first thing to do is set the standard of the materials - big
variations in costs here.

Second it to find a local fitter with a good word of mouth recommendation.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A half decent kitchen, including appliances will set you back less
than a grand,

Only if it fell off the back of a lorry!

Not really, unless MFI are selling knock off goods.

As an example, a person I know recently supplied and fitted a kitchen
in a similar sized room as yours, everything bog standard:
2 double base units, 1 sink unit and SS sink (taps waste etc inc)
1 electric SS oven, 1 SS gas hob and SS hood
2 double and one single wall cupboards

units were beech with slimline SS handles
2X 4m worktops

All the above was had for £600.

Care to quote makes and models for kit? From what I've seen, half-way
decent ovens, hobs and cooker hoods are likely to cost approaching
£600 *each* without any units to put them in.

They are if you buy them seperately...buy them as part of a kitchen at trade
prices and they are less than £100 each - the hood was £48....all makes
you've never heard of but if the customer wants 'a cheap kitchen' that's
exactly what he gets, and they all looked good when installed.

The mixer tap, to buy it on it's own would have been £78 - it was £12.

The prices they sell stuff for individually are unbelievable.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A half decent kitchen, including appliances will set you back less
than a grand,

Only if it fell off the back of a lorry!

Not really, unless MFI are selling knock off goods.

I thought MFI had just gone 'under a lorry' AIW...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 22:14:25 -0000, "Don"
wrote:

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:37:01 GMT, Phil L wrote:

As Bovvered has already said, he's ripping you off to the tune of 13
grand.

snipped but read

Thanks Phil L

Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I
expalin
it to SWMBO ?? :-)

Ask her how many pairs of shoes she can buy with the savings ;-)

Don.

Or do you need a new car?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 22:08:53 +0000, Hugh Jampton
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:37:01 GMT, Phil L wrote:

As Bovvered has already said, he's ripping you off to the tune of 13 grand.

snipped but read

Thanks Phil L

Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I expalin
it to SWMBO ?? :-)

The impression one gets is that people are spending increasingly on
new kitchens, yet are actually using the kitchen much less, as they
tend to eat out much more.
The kitchen is then merely used as a place to prepare/eat breakfast,
or as a status symbol, to try perhaps to emulate the set used by TV
'chefs'.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

The impression one gets is that people are spending increasingly on
new kitchens, yet are actually using the kitchen much less, as they
tend to eat out much more.

But of course, having spent all that money on it they're not going to make
it all messy by preparing and cooking food in it.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I
expalin it to SWMBO ?? :-)

How much is house worth before work?

How much would house be worth after work?

If the difference is (much) less than the cost, why?

Don't most buy a house to live in rather than as an investment? If the
latter you'll have had a sad Xmas anyway.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod wrote:
Seems I'm not mistaken in my thoughts of being ripped off. How do I
expalin it to SWMBO ?? :-)

How much is house worth before work?

How much would house be worth after work?

If the difference is (much) less than the cost, why?

Don't most buy a house to live in rather than as an investment? If the
latter you'll have had a sad Xmas anyway.

Indeed - but as an argument, it might be useful. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh Jampton wrote:

Kitchen 9ft X 7ft

We've been quoted 15K by a company that has done (good) work for us in the
past - this includes a few appliances (hob, oven, fridge) + Granite
worktops (3).

Doesn't include floor tiling or removing wall tiles and skimming walls.
Thoughts please.

I'm quoting for a similar sized kitchen at the mo.
Mid-range units/doors from Howdens, standard worktops, oven/fridge/hob
included, laminate floor, remainder of walls tiled.
Looks like it'll be £5000ish, maybe lower dependant on cost of fittings.
I'm expecting to charge £1000 labour for the 2 weeks or so I'll be
there.
Units are £1000 - 1500ish, appliances £900, tiles £250, floor £100,
worktops sink and taps £600, Corgi Man £150, other extras are likely to
be £500.
Granite worktops are bloody expensive.Depending on length, I wouldnt be
surprised at £500/metre.
15k does seem a lot.
HTH
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A half decent kitchen, including appliances will set you back less
than a grand,

Only if it fell off the back of a lorry!

Not really, unless MFI are selling knock off goods.

I thought MFI had just gone 'under a lorry' AIW...

Their trading arm, Howdens haven't, but this was about a month ago, and the
kitchen was definately from MFI.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:11:01 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

I'm quoting for a similar sized kitchen at the mo.
Mid-range units/doors from Howdens, standard worktops, oven/fridge/hob
included, laminate floor, remainder of walls tiled.
Looks like it'll be £5000ish, maybe lower dependant on cost of fittings.
I'm expecting to charge £1000 labour for the 2 weeks or so I'll be
there.
Units are £1000 - 1500ish, appliances £900, tiles £250, floor £100,
worktops sink and taps £600, Corgi Man £150, other extras are likely to
be £500.
Granite worktops are bloody expensive.Depending on length, I wouldnt be
surprised at £500/metre.
15k does seem a lot.
HTH

Thanks Alan - very interesting.

Looks like I've got the wrong kitchen fitter here :-( He's done work for us
before and he's *very* good - *much* too good for our needs me thinks. Just
asked him if he did kitchens and he said yes and he wasn't much more
expensive than others. Guess he's not aware of "normal" charges. His quotes
for appliances frightened me (He assured us he could get them "cheap") - I
can get them *much* cheaper than he can - surely he must know this ?

Don't think we'll be using him - I'll speak to him next week.

Thanks again.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , Don
wrote:

AEG Induction hob = £394
http://www.bootskitchenappliances.co...de=64100KFN_BK

But not induction hob. I've looked in most of the popular electrical
outlets around East Lancs and never seen one. Supermarkets in France
/Spain have them though (cheapest I've seen was 359 euro - Hyper U for
four place hob)

Wish I'd got one before the exchange rate crashed

Granite worktops = from £300 each
http://www.granite4less.co.uk/prices.html

Don.

--
John Mulrooney

I've still got the figure I had as a bride . . . in fact I've added to it