Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mixing oil and water paint

There's some crinkled paint in the kitchen
and someone said its because someone painted the wrong kind of paint
perhaps oil onto water based paint
or vice versa...

Is there any truth in this, and which way?

I have some window frames to paint outdoors
and there's a mixture of different paints on parts of them,
so which kind of paint should I use?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
There's some crinkled paint in the kitchen
and someone said its because someone painted the wrong kind of paint
perhaps oil onto water based paint
or vice versa...

Can happen when the previous coat hasn't fully dried. Oil based can take
a good 24 hours in cold conditions.

Is there any truth in this, and which way?

I have some window frames to paint outdoors
and there's a mixture of different paints on parts of them,
so which kind of paint should I use?

[g]

I use water based acrylic (or "quick drying" as it's now labelled) for
everything apart from the final lick of gloss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
There's some crinkled paint in the kitchen
and someone said its because someone painted the wrong kind of paint
perhaps oil onto water based paint
or vice versa...

Is there any truth in this, and which way?

I have some window frames to paint outdoors
and there's a mixture of different paints on parts of them,
so which kind of paint should I use?

[g]

Do you remember seeing walls with 'spotted' paint on them? Typically bog
walls - but also corridors in government office buildings and similar.

I chatted to some decorators who were preparing to apply this finish.
They used an air spray kit, lots of masking and a special mix of oil and
water based paints - made by Macpherson. (IIRC it was globules of darker
colours of oil paint in a lighter base of something like emulsion. Or
that is what they said.)

Doesn't answer your question, but you reminded me... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Dec, 21:41, "george (dicegeorge)" wrote:
There's some crinkled paint in the kitchen
and someone said its because someone painted the wrong kind of paint
perhaps oil onto water based paint
or vice versa...

Is there any truth in this, and which way?

I have some window frames to paint outdoors
and there's a mixture of different paints on parts of them,
so which kind of paint should I use?

[g]

This will happen to acrylic paint applied over knotting. I found this
out last week!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Dec, 22:38, Rod wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

I think it is called "Portaflek", and I know it stinks worse than a
buzzard's crotch!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
There's some crinkled paint in the kitchen
and someone said its because someone painted the wrong kind of paint
perhaps oil onto water based paint
or vice versa...

Is there any truth in this, and which way?

I have some window frames to paint outdoors
and there's a mixture of different paints on parts of them,
so which kind of paint should I use?

[g]

You can buy a crackle finish to paint on if thats what you want.
Otherwise its going to be an uncontrolled experiment.

Timber frames require a flexible paint, so oil based is usually used.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 22 Dec, 22:38, Rod wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

Thanks - you are certainly right - that was one brand. Which let me look
it up just now - and saw Crown Colorfects Aquaflek and Aquatone - which
seem to be water-based, modern versions. Maybe it stinks a bit less -
more like a bluetit's jockstrap?

http://www.paintspec.co.uk/en/Products/High+performance/Colorfects+Aquaflek/

--
Rod

onset.

mixing paint with water benpost UK diy 2 March 21st 08 01:01 PM
Paint mixing systems Dave Fawthrop UK diy 12 May 17th 07 10:55 PM
Mixing Paint - or Whatever J T Woodworking 1 January 23rd 07 07:43 AM
Mixing paint to match the existing paint... [email protected] Home Repair 11 September 21st 06 02:25 AM
mixing milk paint with latex? autopi Woodworking 1 November 19th 05 03:34 PM