Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding insulation in attic

I put down fibreglass insulation - I think about 4in - in my attic
several years ago between the joists, and then lay floorboards.

What is the best way of adding to the insulation now?
I use the attic for storage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:07:07 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

I put down fibreglass insulation - I think about 4in - in my attic
several years ago between the joists, and then lay floorboards.

What is the best way of adding to the insulation now?
I use the attic for storage.

So do I - I suspect my 3 foot layer of cardboard boxes works pretty well.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
I put down fibreglass insulation - I think about 4in - in my attic
several years ago between the joists, and then lay floorboards.

What is the best way of adding to the insulation now?
I use the attic for storage.

rigid boards fixed between or over the joists?

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I put down fibreglass insulation - I think about 4in - in my attic
several years ago between the joists, and then lay floorboards.

What is the best way of adding to the insulation now?
I use the attic for storage.

So do I - I suspect my 3 foot layer of cardboard boxes works pretty well.

Geo

That is my approach, an alternative is to use polystyrene sheets:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Polystyrene-...ne/invt/210802

Maybe covered with some board so that you can walk on it.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

clumsy ******* wrote:

What is the best way of adding to the insulation now?
I use the attic for storage.

this sounds exactly like my loft. Given you have a semi sealed space
between the boards and the ceiling below with several inches of
fibreglass in place, aided by the storage items themselves, is further
insulation going to be cost effective?

Indeed, that is what I was wondering.
I wish there was a simple way of measuring the flow of heat
through ceilings and walls ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Timothy Murphy
saying something like:

I put down fibreglass insulation - I think about 4in - in my attic
several years ago between the joists, and then lay floorboards.

What is the best way of adding to the insulation now?
I use the attic for storage.

If there's a gap between the top of the insulation and the floorboards
(and there certainly will be by now) and the floorboards don't seal the
gaps at the ends, any heat that leaks up through the existing insulation
is simply going to escape out of the gaps via rising warm air and
draughts.
You could put down extra fibreglass insulation in the spaces outside the
floor area, and make sure it blocks off the gap at the end, too. Short
of lifting the floorboards, you're stuck for adding extra on top, unless
you lay Kingspan /Celotex (cheapest would be 50mm of Aeroboard) down and
lay 12mm ply on top of that for a walking surface.