Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding Attic Insulation

I'm planning on adding a layer of insulation to the attic. There's an
existing ~6" or so on the floor of the attic, between the rafters.
It's old and probably the original.

I'd like to add another layer.

Would it make sense to roll out another layer on top of the original
at a 90° angle to the rafters, or, put a layer up against the roof and
between those rafters?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning on adding a layer of insulation to the attic. There's an
existing ~6" or so on the floor of the attic, between the rafters.
It's old and probably the original.

I'd like to add another layer.

Would it make sense to roll out another layer on top of the original
at a 90° angle to the rafters, or, put a layer up against the roof and
between those rafters?

Adding it over the existing insulation is the way to go. Putting it
under the roof will bring up possible problems with vapor barrier and it
will increase the temperature of the roof which will shorten the life of
the roof.

Note: Take any opportunity to increase the passive ventilation of the
attic.

To follow up on that, I'd suggest the OP replace bathroom fans now if they
need to be and vent them to the outside if not already done. Once there's a
bunch of insulation up there those projects are not fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Steve Barker LT wrote:
Most sense? Blow in another 8" of cellulose.

check out www.centralfiber.com for an installer in your area.

steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning on adding a layer of insulation to the attic. There's an
existing ~6" or so on the floor of the attic, between the rafters.
It's old and probably the original.

I'd like to add another layer.

Would it make sense to roll out another layer on top of the original
at a 90° angle to the rafters, or, put a layer up against the roof and
between those rafters?

Where did he say the current insulation was cellulose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:
Most sense? Blow in another 8" of cellulose.

check out www.centralfiber.com for an installer in your area.

steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning on adding a layer of insulation to the attic. There's an
existing ~6" or so on the floor of the attic, between the rafters.
It's old and probably the original.

I'd like to add another layer.

Would it make sense to roll out another layer on top of the original
at a 90° angle to the rafters, or, put a layer up against the roof and
between those rafters?

Where did he say the current insulation was cellulose?

Doesn't really matter. Taking the insulation above joist level makes attic
useless for storage in any case, so go with whatever is cheapest, which is
usually blown-in. It took them less than 2 hours to blow 1400 sq feet for
me, including setting the tube things for the soffitt vents. The 50 cents a
square foot it worked out to was well below the bids for rolled-out batts. I
was afraid of it blowing around and drifting, but so far that hasn't been a
problem, even in one windstorm that sucked the hatch cover right off the
attic hatch in the garage.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

they didn't.

"CJT" wrote in message

Where did he say the current insulation was cellulose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

They stuff they used in my house is called "stablilized" They actually
spray water on with it, like as if they were doing unfinished walls, (about
half as much water though) and it makes it stick to itself. #1. It prevents
blowing around, #2. It doesn't settle.

steve