Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Dark Window Material

As mentioned a few weeks ago, we have just got a brand new washing machine.

In the middle/top it has a display panel with bright orange characters
indicating the important things like program time and spin speed.
Unfortunately partner has variable and sometimes very sensitive eyes.
For some reason this display 'upsets' her vision. Rather than totally
obscuring it (e.g. with foil), I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)? Or a sensible alternative. (Angle grinder to take out or
even just to diffuse the display is NOT sensible. :-) )

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Why not ask your local florist for a piece of coloured cellophane? Or indeed
buy SWMBO some flowers & then use the cellophane ;-)

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Don wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

I like the thinking. But it's not usually adhesive and smooth. So I
anticipated difficulty in getting a nice flat surface if I tried that
sort of material. Or am I wrong - and it is actually easy to achieve?

Flowers might be a good idea *anyway*!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Don wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

It comes off rolls in various hues & colours and can be stuck using
something like 'Britstik'.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Don" wrote in message
. uk...

"Rod" wrote in message
Don wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Another thought....is it possible to loosen the facia and slot a piece
behind the lense?

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 09:27, Rod wrote:
As mentioned a few weeks ago, we have just got a brand new washing machine.

In the middle/top it has a display panel with bright orange characters
indicating the important things like program time and spin speed.
Unfortunately partner has variable and sometimes very sensitive eyes.
For some reason this display 'upsets' her vision. Rather than totally
obscuring it (e.g. with foil), I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)? Or a sensible alternative. (Angle grinder to take out or
even just to diffuse the display is NOT sensible. :-) *)

Have you got a copy shop/printer/sign maker near you? I would imagine
they would have offcuts of materials and may use a sticky see-through-
but-dark film for letters or backing that would do the trick?

Failing that you could scribble over the display with a marker
pen...ah, hang on, you wanted sensible...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Don wrote:
"Don" wrote in message
. uk...
"Rod" wrote in message
Don wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

TBH - not a hope. The idea is fine but I don't think I would get away
with taking apart the W/M.

I shall try to get to a florists.

Thank you.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 20, 10:12*am, Rod wrote:
Going back to original problem, can you explain how it 'upsets' her
vision? Could it indicate a need to visit an optician for a thorough
check up?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)?

Pop into your local car window tinting place - I'll bet they'd give you
an offcut for free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

As mentioned a few weeks ago, we have just got a brand new washing machine.

In the middle/top it has a display panel with bright orange characters
indicating the important things like program time and spin speed.
Unfortunately partner has variable and sometimes very sensitive eyes.
For some reason this display 'upsets' her vision. Rather than totally
obscuring it (e.g. with foil), I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)? Or a sensible alternative. (Angle grinder to take out or
even just to diffuse the display is NOT sensible. :-) )

http://www.solarstat.co.uk/sunprotectors.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Starling wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:12 am, Rod wrote:
Going back to original problem, can you explain how it 'upsets' her
vision? Could it indicate a need to visit an optician for a thorough
check up?

Dave

Thanks for asking. It is all to do with her thyroid problem! Causes all
sorts of secondary effects such as muscle weakness and/or excessive
tightening. Whereas most of us going into a dull (but daylit) room and
seeing a bright light will simply flick our eyes away or just put up
with it, she finds it (sort of) bores into her eyes - even as a passing
glance. She has the same sort of problem in lots of circumstances and
also seems very sensitive to flicker. (But she desperately craves
brighter light in general. Just can't cope with small patches of bright
in an otherwise dull environment.)

When she saw an optician she was prescribed vari-focus lenses (the first
glasses she had ever needed). She could not manage the vari-focus and
had to change to distance plus reading glasses. At that point her vision
had deteriorated quite badly but the cause was put down as age.

With diagnosis of thyroid condition a few months later, plus now some
three years of treatment, she virtually never needs either pair of
glasses. But she has remnant vision (and many other) problems.

The lack of pick up by the optician (of her thyroid problem) and
consequent mis-prescription of vari-focus, and indeed utter ignorance
when she had to see an ophthalmic consultant a bit later about another
problem, have convinced us that this is a poorly understood issue.

Dark film seems much easier than curing her disease problem!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:12 am, Rod wrote:
Going back to original problem, can you explain how it 'upsets' her
vision? Could it indicate a need to visit an optician for a thorough
check up?

Dave

Strange. My other half can't sleep if the clock radio display is facing
her. I'm sure there's still a lot we don't know about such things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

My other half can't sleep if the clock radio display is facing her.

I'm the same, sellotape a flap of neutral density filter so it can be
dropped over the display, or raised out of the way when necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

My other half can't sleep if the clock radio display is facing her.

I'm the same, sellotape a flap of neutral density filter so it can be
dropped over the display, or raised out of the way when necessary.

I could never figure out how it could affect you if your eyes were
closed. We just keep the clock angled slightly. Can't see the time of
course, but you can't have everything :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 09:27:27 +0000, Rod wrote:

As mentioned a few weeks ago, we have just got a brand new washing machine.

In the middle/top it has a display panel with bright orange characters
indicating the important things like program time and spin speed.
Unfortunately partner has variable and sometimes very sensitive eyes.
For some reason this display 'upsets' her vision. Rather than totally
obscuring it (e.g. with foil), I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)? Or a sensible alternative. (Angle grinder to take out or
even just to diffuse the display is NOT sensible. :-) )

You could try a piece of metal gauze instead of dark material. Perforated
aluminium goggles were once used as motorcycle rain goggles and they were
quite effective. A piece of body filler reinforcing gauze (aluminium) from
an Isopon kit would be a cheap way to try.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
As mentioned a few weeks ago, we have just got a brand new washing
machine.

In the middle/top it has a display panel with bright orange characters
indicating the important things like program time and spin speed.
Unfortunately partner has variable and sometimes very sensitive eyes. For
some reason this display 'upsets' her vision. Rather than totally
obscuring it (e.g. with foil), I thought a dark film such as is used by so
many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below problem
level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)? Or a sensible alternative. (Angle grinder to take out or

What if you did all the washing?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

stuart noble wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

My other half can't sleep if the clock radio display is facing her.

I'm the same, sellotape a flap of neutral density filter so it can be
dropped over the display, or raised out of the way when necessary.

I could never figure out how it could affect you if your eyes were
closed. We just keep the clock angled slightly. Can't see the time of
course, but you can't have everything :-)

Ah that be quantum tunnelling. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

mark wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Ah! But she would still see it whenever she went into the kitchen (with
the W/M switched on). And, from fairly close up at a shallow angle, the
brightness isn't nearly so bad. It is from the other side of the room,
straight on, that she finds it most disturbing.

(I think I deflected that one. :-) )

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Solve two problems in one go then. Get her a box of quality street for
Christmas, and reuse one of the wrappers! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
As mentioned a few weeks ago, we have just got a brand new washing machine.

In the middle/top it has a display panel with bright orange characters
indicating the important things like program time and spin speed.
Unfortunately partner has variable and sometimes very sensitive eyes.
For some reason this display 'upsets' her vision. Rather than totally
obscuring it (e.g. with foil), I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)? Or a sensible alternative. (Angle grinder to take out or
even just to diffuse the display is NOT sensible. :-) )

hit a model shop and get some tranlucent iron on film. Solarfilm.

Most of it will stick with a tad of solvent as well..a light brush with
celluluse thinners..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

As mentioned a few weeks ago, we have just got a brand new washing machine.

In the middle/top it has a display panel with bright orange characters
indicating the important things like program time and spin speed.
Unfortunately partner has variable and sometimes very sensitive eyes.
For some reason this display 'upsets' her vision. Rather than totally
obscuring it (e.g. with foil), I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

Any suggestions for obtaining such a tiny piece (for correspondingly low
price, I hope)? Or a sensible alternative. (Angle grinder to take out or
even just to diffuse the display is NOT sensible. :-) )

I needed a small piece of tinted window film for a project and
attempted to buy it from a local car window tinting firm. The owner
happily cut me off a piece of material but refused my offers of
payment. Even when I insisted, he refused.

Just ask. Even if they charge, it will only be pennies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bruce
writes
Rod wrote:

[...]

A lot of glass merchants sell it - they may also let you have a small
piece.
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

I've got some offcuts of silver window tint that the orange display
would show through, if you want to try it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

I thought a dark film such as is used by
so many on their cars would work well to reduce the intensity below
problem level.

It seems to be available in fairly large pieces. But what I need is just
70 x 60mm.

I've got some offcuts of silver window tint that the orange display
would show through, if you want to try it.

Thank you very much.

I shall try a local car window blacking outfit - but will post back if
that doesn't pan out.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

I've got some offcuts of silver window tint that the orange display
would show through, if you want to try it.

Thank you very much.

I shall try a local car window blacking outfit - but will post back if
that doesn't pan out.

No problem; drop me a line if you want it - address is valid.