Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Nice" Fluorescent light

I think I am stuck with a strip light in my small narrow kitchen - but would
like to get a more attractive fitting than the basic on currently fitted. I
don't particularly like diffusers as they tend to discolour. I would like to
find a source of slightly more attractive then normal fittings.

Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I think I am stuck with a strip light in my small narrow kitchen - but
would like to get a more attractive fitting than the basic on currently
fitted. I don't particularly like diffusers as they tend to discolour. I
would like to find a source of slightly more attractive then normal
fittings.

Any ideas?

you put it in a trough made from something you like and reflect it off the
ceiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"John" wrote in message
I think I am stuck with a strip light in my small narrow kitchen - but
would like to get a more attractive fitting than the basic on currently
fitted. I don't particularly like diffusers as they tend to discolour. I
would like to find a source of slightly more attractive then normal
fittings.

Any ideas?

you put it in a trough made from something you like and reflect it off the
ceiling.

They do exist, but are costly, and more suited to commercial premises
than domestic. As dennis says, trough or shelf mounting are good
standard approaches.

Another maybe if you dont want to rewire is to make a custom cover for
it. One possible is a bit of flat ply with low sides added all round.
Its mounted 8" or so below the light and painted white. This hides the
fitting and reflects the light onto the ceilng around the ply. It
reduces light output a bit of course. You've then got the challlenge
of making it look positively nice. You've always got the option to
drill 1/4" holes in it to look like LEDs, and you can add lighting gel
or sweet wrappers as colour filters if you want to play.

NT