Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting fluorescent light fitting to "quick start"

In our bathroom we have a 20 watt IP65 fluorescent light fitting, installed
a couple of years ago.

I am becoming neurotic about the fact it takes 5-10 seconds to switch on
(and always has).

Pics he

http://www.hernibles.com/light1.jpg
http://www.hernibles.com/light2.jpg

Is it possible to swap some component of this light to make it "quick
start"?

Wisdom appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vortex
wrote
In our bathroom we have a 20 watt IP65 fluorescent light fitting,
installed a couple of years ago.

I am becoming neurotic about the fact it takes 5-10 seconds to switch
on (and always has).

Pics he

http://www.hernibles.com/light1.jpg
http://www.hernibles.com/light2.jpg

Is it possible to swap some component of this light to make it "quick
start"?

Wisdom appreciated.

Replace that little round thing in the second picture with an electronic
starter.

http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Vortex
wrote
In our bathroom we have a 20 watt IP65 fluorescent light fitting,
installed a couple of years ago.

I am becoming neurotic about the fact it takes 5-10 seconds to switch on
(and always has).

Pics he

http://www.hernibles.com/light1.jpg
http://www.hernibles.com/light2.jpg

Is it possible to swap some component of this light to make it "quick
start"?

Wisdom appreciated.

Replace that little round thing in the second picture with an electronic
starter.

http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Interesting link Alan,

I had no idea such things existed. Will drop by Maplin tomorrow and see if
they have a
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...C=SO&U=Strat15

Will report if it works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vortex wrote:
In our bathroom we have a 20 watt IP65 fluorescent light fitting,
installed a couple of years ago.

I am becoming neurotic about the fact it takes 5-10 seconds to switch on
(and always has).

Pics he

http://www.hernibles.com/light1.jpg
http://www.hernibles.com/light2.jpg

Is it possible to swap some component of this light to make it "quick
start"?

Wisdom appreciated.

I'd replace the choke with an electronic one. You'll get quick smooth
starting, higher efficiency and longer tube life.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Vortex
wrote
In our bathroom we have a 20 watt IP65 fluorescent light fitting,
installed a couple of years ago.

I am becoming neurotic about the fact it takes 5-10 seconds to switch on
(and always has).

Pics he

http://www.hernibles.com/light1.jpg
http://www.hernibles.com/light2.jpg

Is it possible to swap some component of this light to make it "quick
start"?

Wisdom appreciated.

Replace that little round thing in the second picture with an electronic
starter.

http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/light.html

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Well I purchased a "electronic" starter from the local Rexel Senate.
Reliable 1.5 second starting now.

Seems to do like it says on the tin.

Thanks for the advice.

David