Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT I'm Needin' Your Help Again Please !

Hi Everyone,

I know that this is off topic, but surely someone will point me in the right
direction without too much flaming.

I have a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard which I purchased a few years ago and have
just started to play it. It has Midi In/Out sockets on the back so I
purchased a Midi - USB cable to connect it to the PC.

What I want now is some software.

Can anyone recommend any please. ?

Kindest regards

James

PS Hope ya all have a great CHRISTMAS and a very happy and peaceful 2009

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...
Hi Everyone,

I know that this is off topic, but surely someone will point me in the
right direction without too much flaming.

I have a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard which I purchased a few years ago and
have just started to play it. It has Midi In/Out sockets on the back so I
purchased a Midi - USB cable to connect it to the PC.

What I want now is some software.

Can anyone recommend any please. ?

Kindest regards

James

PS Hope ya all have a great CHRISTMAS and a very happy and peaceful 2009

See;

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...5253DY,00.html

Watch the wrap.

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...
Hi Everyone,

I know that this is off topic, but surely someone will point me in the
right direction without too much flaming.

I have a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard which I purchased a few years ago and
have just started to play it. It has Midi In/Out sockets on the back so I
purchased a Midi - USB cable to connect it to the PC.

What I want now is some software.

Can anyone recommend any please. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_sequencers

Some are free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know that this is off topic, but surely someone will point me in
the right direction without too much flaming.

I have a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard which I purchased a few years ago
and have just started to play it. It has Midi In/Out sockets on the
back so I purchased a Midi - USB cable to connect it to the PC.

What I want now is some software.

Can anyone recommend any please. ?

Kindest regards

James

PS Hope ya all have a great CHRISTMAS and a very happy and peaceful
2009

The USB/MIDI interface which I bought a few years ago came bundled with
various bits of software - including Cakewalk Express, which I use quite a
lot.

You haven't said exactly what you want to achieve - there are lots of
possibilities! Just some a
* creating and printing sheet music - from MIDI keyboard or computer
keyboard input (e.g. Finale, Sibelius, Capella)
* creating musical notation by scanning existing printed music (e.g. Capella
Scan)
* creating MIDI files from computer-based music notation (Finale, Sibelius,
Capella, etc. again)
* editing MIDI files and optimising them for playing on a particular MIDI
keyboard (e.g. Cakewalk, Cubase)

My main requirement is to scan choral music and produce MIDI files which I
can play on my Roland keyboard, and record onto CDs, with individual voice
parts emphasised to assist my choir to learn new music. I use Capella Scan
to scan the music and convert it to musical notation (using an OCR-like
process), Capella to produce MIDI files, and Cakewalk to adjust and sequence
the MIDI files - oh, and for good measure, WavePad to record the audio
output from the MIDI keyboard and produce .MP3 or .WAV files which I can
burn onto CDs.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

I bought a PSR-290 keyboard for the kids a couple of years ago; it's
connected via a USB Yamahaa MIDI interface to their PC, which has an old
version of Sibelius, which they've used for their GCSE music. However
I've never managed to get the PC and keyboard talking to each other; TBH
I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be able to achieve! Am I right
in thinking that the keyboard ought to be able to play tunes they've
composed in Sibelius? Or that if they play tunes on the keyboard, then
Sibelius should convert them to a score? That's what I thought, anyway...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:03:19 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

Yep, it should work either way - a score in Sibelius will play on the
keyboard - and as you play on the keyboard it should write into a
score.
Mind you, with a half decent sound card and some reasonable speakers
you'll probably get a better sound out of the PC than the keyboard -
and via midi you can control and use the PC sounds from the keyboarc.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...
Hi Everyone,

I know that this is off topic, but surely someone will point me in the
right direction without too much flaming.

I have a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard which I purchased a few years ago and
have just started to play it. It has Midi In/Out sockets on the back so I
purchased a Midi - USB cable to connect it to the PC.

What I want now is some software.

Can anyone recommend any please. ?

We bought a copy of Cubasis off ebay a few years ago as that's what their
school was using. It was intended to replace an old copy of Cakewalk that
someone had donated to us, but personally I still prefer Cakewalk

The one I would love to have is Sibelius, as that comes with PhotoScore
which allows you to scan sheet music and convert it into midi files.

However, Sibelius comes at a very high price, whereas Cubasis can be got for
much less second hand.

I have recently downloaded a freeware program called Audiveris which claims
to convert scanned images to midi.

http://www.music-notation.info/en/so...Audiveris.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard which I purchased a few years ago and
have just started to play it. It has Midi In/Out sockets on the back
so I purchased a Midi - USB cable to connect it to the PC.

What I want now is some software.

Can anyone recommend any please. ?

www.freebyte.com/music/

?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

Thanks. So is setting it up supposed to be pretty straightforward, like
most other peripherals etc you'd hook up to a PC? It's so long since I
tried doing it I can't remember exactly what the problem was... I do
recall the MIDI interface being recognised by the PC and installing
drivers etc but to no avail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:45:33 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

snip

Yep, it should work either way - a score in Sibelius will play on the
keyboard - and as you play on the keyboard it should write into a
score.
Mind you, with a half decent sound card and some reasonable speakers
you'll probably get a better sound out of the PC than the keyboard -
and via midi you can control and use the PC sounds from the keyboarc.

Thanks. So is setting it up supposed to be pretty straightforward, like
most other peripherals etc you'd hook up to a PC? It's so long since I
tried doing it I can't remember exactly what the problem was... I do
recall the MIDI interface being recognised by the PC and installing
drivers etc but to no avail.

It's not always straightforward setting it all up, sometimes you get
port issues and nothing seems to work - though this might be more to
do with Sibelius than the computer.
A good place to start is to ensure your midi port is enabled ( might
be in the BIOS or on the soundcard ).

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I bought a PSR-290 keyboard for the kids a couple of years ago; it's
connected via a USB Yamahaa MIDI interface to their PC, which has an
old version of Sibelius, which they've used for their GCSE music. However
I've never managed to get the PC and keyboard talking to each
other; TBH I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be able to
achieve! Am I right in thinking that the keyboard ought to be able
to play tunes they've composed in Sibelius? Or that if they play
tunes on the keyboard, then Sibelius should convert them to a score?
That's what I thought, anyway...
David

More or less - although to get a decent score by playing on the keyboard you
need to be *extremely* accurate with your timing. Quantisation helps, but
only if there's not too wide a range of note lengths - or any triplets - in
the piece.

With regard to getting the keyboard to talk to the computer, I presume you
are taking account of the fact that the computer's MIDI OUT goes to the
keyboard's MIDI IN, and vice versa?
--
Cheers,
Roger