Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tracing damp source

I have a 1960 bungalow which had all windows and doors replaced with
double glazed aluminium external doors and windows.
I have several places where damps is penetrating, at least I assume so
as mould is appearing and in one case the skirting board is rotting.
In all cases the ingress is in near the corner of either window or door.
I have had a go in one case by replacing the mastic externally in the
area of the damp on one window, but it is still occurring. Any ideas of
how I can ascertain the cause, and more importantly prevent it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I have a 1960 bungalow which had all windows and doors replaced with
double glazed aluminium external doors and windows.
I have several places where damps is penetrating, at least I assume so
as mould is appearing and in one case the skirting board is rotting.
In all cases the ingress is in near the corner of either window or
door. I have had a go in one case by replacing the mastic externally
in the area of the damp on one window, but it is still occurring. Any
ideas of how I can ascertain the cause, and more importantly prevent
it?

I too have aluminium frames and the water runs down them every time I'm
cooking anything - it's condensation and the only way around it is to open
some windows or ventilate by airbricks/fans etc.

even the bedroom frame has a coating of condensation on it on cold mornings
from breathing.

BTW, the rotting skirting board you mentioned must be close to, or touching
the door frame?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Broadback wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your replies, but I do not think that it is condensation, for
the following reasons. We only have condensation on the kitchen windows
when cooking with water, and on our bedroom window on the exceptionally
cold night when we sleep with the window closed, there is no damp in
these rooms. The bedroom window with damp is only on one window, facing
East, not on the window facing North, also a damp patch appears when
there has been a lot of rain blowing onto the window. We have 2 french
windows, both facing South, only one side of one window has skirting
which is rotting. As as soon as Christmas is out of the way I am having
a decorating blitz I would dearly like to find the source and cure
before then. So ideas and help warmly welcomed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have had a go in one case by replacing the mastic externally
in the area of the damp on one window, but it is still occurring.

I think you would need to replace all the mastic rather than just the
bit that aligns with the damp on the inside. The point of entry may be
somewhere else on the frame
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Dec, 20:29, stuart noble wrote:
* I have had a go in one case by replacing the mastic externally

in the area of the damp on one window, but it is still occurring.

I think you would need to replace all the mastic rather than just the
bit that aligns with the damp on the inside. The point of entry may be
somewhere else on the frame

Also make sure that the cills have a drip on them.

For a reason that I totally failed to understand, my 'plankpot' of a
builder (no it wasn't Dribble), trimmed the cills before fitting the
wooden framed windows, and couldn't understand why I was permanently
suffering from damp penetration at the window bottoms. In the end I
added a strip onto each window cill with a drip and the problem went
away.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On 18 Dec, 20:29, stuart noble wrote:
� I have had a go in one case by replacing the mastic externally

in the area of the damp on one window, but it is still occurring.

I think you would need to replace all the mastic rather than just the
bit that aligns with the damp on the inside. The point of entry may be
somewhere else on the frame

Also make sure that the cills have a drip on them.

For a reason that I totally failed to understand, my 'plankpot' of a
builder (no it wasn't Dribble), trimmed the cills before fitting the
wooden framed windows, and couldn't understand why I was permanently
suffering from damp penetration at the window bottoms. In the end I
added a strip onto each window cill with a drip and the problem went
away.

Rob

I think we need more information. When was the house built, is it
externally rendered. Pics would be helpful.

NT