Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to treat an inglenook - paint?

On 17 Dec, 13:17, wrote:
Hi

I've recently demolished a hideous construction containing a Parkray
stove that was built within an inglenook fireplace, revealing the
"original" rear of the inglenook. After filling half a skip with
concrete and rubble, I'm left with an attractive fireplace (about 5'
x 7'), but don't know what to do with the back of it. The stone won't
scrub clean as the soot and tar is deeply penetrated - perhaps
hundreds of years of it (the house is C17). I'm tempted to leave it,
but if I do I'm going to have to blacken certain areas where I've had
to do some repairs.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dear Tom
As part of my work, I spent a not-inconsiderable time guiding
architects, engineers and surveyors in a course run by the SPAB for
building professionals in my particular field. To do this, it was
necessary to study the SPAB philosopy of repair v restoration and to
gain an insight into what was and was not "acceptable" and "approved".
First, I suggest that since you have done a repair that it should have
been with basically the same materials and methods - that would be the
same stone, same compostion sand and lime putty mortar (if my guess is
right).
Your problem now is to get is not standing out like a sore thumb!
The principle here is for the repair (in this case the artificial
ageing) to be reversible - as all good repairs should be.
Sooooooooooo... you need an old style(non-type4) PVA glue - or better
still some flour and water! - (which can re-emulsify) - to scrape some
of the existing black off such that you still leave it black, to mix
one with tother to form a black colloid / emulsion / mix and paint it
on!
chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec, 14:35, wrote:
On 17 Dec, 13:17, wrote:

[...]

Chris

That a really good idea! I have been steering away from PVA, but if
you can get stuff that's OK on old buildings (haven't a clue what non-
type4 is by the way) I'll give it a go. Fortunately I have a bucket of
soot which I haven't taken to the tip yet.

As for the repairs, I definitely did not and will not use the
traditional techniques employed in building my house as they are utter
rubbish. Lime putty mortar - I wish! My house is built with subsoil
and rubble!