Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plywood

I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that
in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical
grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has
dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as T-111 sheet. Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves
milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4
inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Osprey" wrote in message
I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that
in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical
grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has
dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as T-111 sheet. Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves
milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4
inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?

Having looked for it in the past I do not believe there is any such thing
readily available here in the UK.

[For those unfamiliar, if you Google "T111 siding" and select images you'll
get the general idea.]

In the Colonies it typically comes in 8' x 4' sheets and is relatively
inexpensive.

Just the job for an "instant shed". It's good stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec, 17:42, "Vortex2"
wrote:
"Osprey" wrote in message

I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that
in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical
grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has
dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as * T-111 *sheet. * Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves
milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4
inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?

Having looked for it in the past I do not believe there is any such thing
readily available here in the UK.

Siding is (or was) used for building masses of cheap ****ty houses
over there in a way it isn't over here. Now often PVC instead -
lovely.

"Marine ply" made with Doug Fir - hmmm. Not going to get a Lloyds
Certificate for that one.

Why not get some WBP ply (what they really mean) and run a router with
a beading bit in it up it a few times?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec, 18:39, wrote:
On 15 Dec, 17:42, "Vortex2"
wrote:

"Osprey" wrote in message

[...]

a beading bit in it up it a few times?- Hide quoted text -

I did think of buying some Birch Marine Ply and doing that .....

To make grooves visible would assume something like 3mm wide, using a
standard 45 degree grooving router bit that would result in a groove
1.5mm deep ....
Would this compromise the stability of the face ply, and cause
premature failure ?

.... Marine Ply is expensive so would need to have a good idea of
longevity before doing this.
Anybody any idea ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:17:40 -0800 (PST), Osprey wrote:

I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that
in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical
grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has
dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as T-111 sheet. Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves
milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4
inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?

This link will give a list of suppliers of sheet material

http://spedr.com/4i25j

--
The Wanderer

The older I get the better I used to be!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 4:17*pm, Osprey wrote:
I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that
in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical
grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has
dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as * T-111 *sheet. * Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves
milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4
inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?

It may be worth chatting to Robbins. In their catalgue they have
something which may be similar (bottom right of page 1)
http://www.robbins.co.uk/Pdf%20Files...on%20Sheet.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Dec, 09:26, " wrote:
On Dec 15, 4:17*pm, Osprey wrote:

I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that
in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical
grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has
dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as * T-111 *sheet. * Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves
milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4
inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?

It may be worth chatting to Robbins. In their catalgue they have
something which may be similar (bottom right of page 1)http://www.robbins..co.uk/Pdf%20File...on%20Sheet.pdf

Thanks ... I have dropped them a mail.

An alternative option would be to mill in longitudinal grooves into
Marine Ply sheet to simulate t&g ..... anybody done this ? ... is
this practical without compromising the waterproof properties of the
sheet.
It would be stained finish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:

An alternative option would be to mill in longitudinal grooves into
Marine Ply sheet to simulate t&g ..... anybody done this ? ... is
this practical without compromising the waterproof properties of the
sheet.
It would be stained finish.

AIUI the waterproof comes from the glue/adhesive that bonds the sheets
together.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:
On 16 Dec, 09:26, " wrote:
On Dec 15, 4:17 pm, Osprey wrote:

[...]

I've done similar with a router, v groove bit & a straightedge, but only on
smaller lengths e.g.2'. It looks pretty good as long as you keep the groove
dead straight.

You will need to do a bit of sanding afterwards & depending on the ply you
might reveal a different colour 'ply' at the base of the groove.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..

I've done similar with a router, v groove bit & a straightedge, but only
on smaller lengths e.g.2'. It looks pretty good as long as you keep the
groove dead straight.

You will need to do a bit of sanding afterwards & depending on the ply you
might reveal a different colour 'ply' at the base of the groove.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

was this paint finish or stain ? ........ just wondering doing this would
make board fail early .... I would in effect be creating 'end grain' with
these grooves ... and water on end grain often delaminates the ply.
I only need to rout wide & deep enough to crate the effect of planks ..
almost just a shadow line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..

I've done similar with a router, v groove bit & a straightedge, but
only on smaller lengths e.g.2'. It looks pretty good as long as you
keep the groove dead straight.

You will need to do a bit of sanding afterwards & depending on the
ply you might reveal a different colour 'ply' at the base of the
groove. --
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

was this paint finish or stain ? ........ just wondering doing this
would make board fail early .... I would in effect be creating 'end
grain' with these grooves ... and water on end grain often
delaminates the ply.

Finish was oil. The application was indoor only.

I only need to rout wide & deep enough to crate the effect of planks
.. almost just a shadow line.

I guess you could rout down to a ply parrallel to the top ply. Decent
exterioe woodstain should be OK I guess.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk