Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey Osprey is offline

Default Plywood

On 15 Dec, 18:39, wrote:
On 15 Dec, 17:42, "Vortex2"
wrote:

"Osprey" wrote in message

I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that
in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical
grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has
dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as * T-111 *sheet. * Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves
milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4
inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?

Having looked for it in the past I do not believe there is any such thing
readily available here in the UK.

Siding is (or was) used for building masses of cheap ****ty houses
over there in a way it isn't over here. *Now often PVC instead -
lovely.

"Marine ply" made with Doug Fir - hmmm. *Not going to get a Lloyds
Certificate for that one.

Why not get some WBP ply (what they really mean) and run a router with
a beading bit in it up it a few times?- Hide quoted text -

I did think of buying some Birch Marine Ply and doing that .....

To make grooves visible would assume something like 3mm wide, using a
standard 45 degree grooving router bit that would result in a groove
1.5mm deep ....
Would this compromise the stability of the face ply, and cause
premature failure ?

.... Marine Ply is expensive so would need to have a good idea of
longevity before doing this.
Anybody any idea ?