Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sealing floorboards before painting

I rather like the floorboards in my kitchen as they show evidence of
200 years of alterations. I want to leave them exposed and painted. I
don't want to strip and varnish them as I think they are too rough to
get looking good.

These are tongue and groove in three different widths and running at
strange angles to one another. I've spent some time repairing various
sections which had large gaps but I now need to seal up the cracks
between the boards as a lot of the tongues have been damaged, but what
to use that will make them airtight and paintable and look OK? Would
decorator's filler from a mastic gun work? I'm concerned that anything
I do might be very difficult to correct once it's done.

I'm prepared to experiment with different techniques on the floor in
the loft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 4:53*am, andyv wrote:
I rather like the floorboards in my kitchen as they show evidence of
200 years of alterations. I want to leave them exposed and painted. I
don't want to strip and varnish them as I think they are too rough to
get looking good.

These are tongue and groove in three different widths and running at
strange angles to one another. I've spent some time repairing various
sections which had large gaps but I now need to seal up the cracks
between the boards as a lot of the tongues have been damaged, but what
to use that will make them airtight and paintable and look OK? Would
decorator's filler from a mastic gun work? I'm concerned that anything
I do might be very difficult to correct once it's done.

I'm prepared to experiment with different techniques on the floor in
the loft.

I would just use painters caulk in a tube, floors expand-contract and
move, anything hard will pop out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 4:53*am, andyv wrote:
I rather like the floorboards in my kitchen as they show evidence of
200 years of alterations. I want to leave them exposed and painted. I
don't want to strip and varnish them as I think they are too rough to
get looking good.

These are tongue and groove in three different widths and running at
strange angles to one another. I've spent some time repairing various
sections which had large gaps but I now need to seal up the cracks
between the boards as a lot of the tongues have been damaged, but what
to use that will make them airtight and paintable and look OK? Would
decorator's filler from a mastic gun work? I'm concerned that anything
I do might be very difficult to correct once it's done.

I'm prepared to experiment with different techniques on the floor in
the loft.

"decorators filler-masticgun" OK, over her its called caulk and a
caulk gun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ransley wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:53 am, andyv wrote:
[...]

The Screwfix No Nonsense wood filler isn't bad. Gloopy enough to get
into small cracks, and a different consistency to the caulks I've used