Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning mold on floorboards & sealing

OK, I pulled up the water-damaged particle board and scrubbed the 2x6's with clorox and let it dry. I want to be sure that no mold comes back -- is it OK to coat the 2x6's with a sealer?

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 1:03 am, "Sammy bin Snoozin"
wrote:
OK, I pulled up the water-damaged particle board and scrubbed the 2x6's with clorox and let it dry. I want to be sure that no mold comes back -- is it OK to coat the 2x6's with a sealer?

Sam

Sealer probably wont help, you have to stop the cause, excessive
moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.building.contractors,misc.rural,alt.construction

wrote:
OK, I pulled up the water-damaged particle board and scrubbed the 2x6's with clorox and let it dry. I want to be sure that no mold comes back -- is it OK to coat the 2x6's with a sealer?

Sam

Sealer probably wont help, you have to stop the cause, excessive
moisture.

Thanks - it was from a water pipe fitting leak, so that's fixed. I'm just wondering if painting it with some kind of exterior water-protection coating might seal any mold inside the wood and keep it from migrating to the new floor.

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.building.contractors,misc.rural,alt.construction

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message ..

OK, I pulled up the water-damaged particle board and scrubbed the 2x6's
with clorox and let it dry. I want to be sure that no mold comes
back -- is it OK to coat the 2x6's with a sealer?

Sealer probably wont help, you have to stop the cause, excessive
moisture.

Thanks - it was from a water pipe fitting leak, so that's fixed. I'm just
wondering if painting it with some kind of exterior water-protection coating
might seal any mold inside the wood and keep it from migrating to the new
floor.

Sam, google for a product called MX-500. We are about to order some for a
back room. Be sure you use the proper (for mold) respirators which also are
the right ones to use with the roduct. Bleach doesnt really work. Just
makes it look good for a bit.

Responsive folks, they even explained how and where to be careful around
electrical lines for us 'noobies' a fixing a moldy enclosed back porch. We
fixed the water problem, now are going to rip out the damaged stuff and
treat the posts (which thank god are solid). Specifically if you have any
copper lines in the subfloor, you will need to heavily wrap them before
using the product then unwrap them afterwards.
xxcarol

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.building.contractors,misc.rural,alt.construction

"Cshenk" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks, Carol. Good info. Too late for me this time, but we scrubbed and scraped the wood pretty good and poured a 1/2 gallon of chlorox, leaving it to soak and dry. Then I coated the wood heavily with an outdoor wood sealer that claimed to have a mold-suppression element in it. In my case the mold was pretty much surface, so I wasn't as worried as when I first posted this.

Then I put wonderboard down under the sink wall of the kitchen and replaced the section not under cabinets with plywood. Had to use plywood because the wonderboard I had was 1/2-inch and the existing plywood on the rest of the floor was 3/8. Should be fine. I'll upload the photos when I get caught up on the honey-do list.

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just a thought…

Mold spores cannot be eliminated but we can get rid of it with the
following steps:
• keep your house clean and dry
• observe proper ventilation and good lighting
• If possible, keep humidity in your house below 50% by using an air
conditioner or dehumidifier.
• Fix any water problems immediately
• Clean mold off non-porous surfaces with a weak solution of bleach
and water.
Of course when cleaning mold, DO NOT FORGET to protect yourself by
wearing long sleeves, pants, shoes, and rubber gloves, as well as
goggles and a facemask.

Cheers!

Undermount Kitchen Sinks
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com