Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default loft conversion stairs width

Planning loft conversion (loft plus bathroom - prob not quite an
"ensuite" !) As usual, space restrictions for stairs. What width of
stairs would be practical ?
Surely much narrower than a standard narrow doorway (e.g. 28", 700mm)
and you would be squeezing up sideways, but loft companies seem to
produce stairs not much more than 600mm wide !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Planning loft conversion (loft plus bathroom - prob not quite an
"ensuite" !) As usual, space restrictions for stairs. What width of
stairs would be practical ?
Surely much narrower than a standard narrow doorway (e.g. 28", 700mm)
and you would be squeezing up sideways, but loft companies seem to
produce stairs not much more than 600mm wide !

700 - 800mm is probably ideal. Less is ok (although it will depend on
your size as to how comfortable that feels). I would say 600mm is about
the minimum though, especially if you have plans of getting any
furniture in or out!

Something else to keep in mind is that if you place stairs over existing
ones, the reduction in head height there can cause problems. I found
there were one or two items that were much more difficult getting out of
the place after I have built the second set of stairs. Arranging the
balustrade such that it can be taken down is well worth doing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from sm_jamieson contains these words:

Planning loft conversion (loft plus bathroom - prob not quite an
"ensuite" !) As usual, space restrictions for stairs. What width of
stairs would be practical ?
Surely much narrower than a standard narrow doorway (e.g. 28", 700mm)
and you would be squeezing up sideways, but loft companies seem to
produce stairs not much more than 600mm wide !

I don't think there is a statutory minimum width these days but 2 feet
is about as narrow as practical and at that width you really need an
alternative route for furniture if you don't have a straight flight, and
even them some furniture won't fit.

That's what we did in the loft conversion in the ancestral chalet
bungalow. A 2 foot wide staircase with a right angle turn near the
bottom. The original loft entry (which was a generous size opening) was
retained as a coffin hatch.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Planning loft conversion (loft plus bathroom - prob not quite an
"ensuite" !) As usual, space restrictions for stairs. What width of
stairs would be practical ?
Surely much narrower than a standard narrow doorway (e.g. 28", 700mm)
and you would be squeezing up sideways, but loft companies seem to
produce stairs not much more than 600mm wide !
Simon.

I do not believe there are minimum widths for stairs. Or minimum heights
for *rooms*.

Landings and stairs have minim heights though, and stairs have maxim
rise figure.