Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bungalow extension help needed.

I have inherited a freehold Bungalow with a largish garden.

It has a separate single garage connected to the bungalow by a
carport, all marked on the Land registry plans.

I want to build a double garage come workshop and home office as an
extension to my bungalow. It will require planning permission as it
will be 1 ft 30cm from the boundary. I will also incorporating land
now occupied by the existing carport and garage as we as a garden home
office shed and a garden shed.

Has anyone done something similar or has any an ideas, photos or plans
that might help me go in the correct direction.

The Bungalow has a Gable end and the Workshop extension will be in the
top bar crossing a “T” more or less.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BusaC" wrote in message
I have inherited a freehold Bungalow with a largish garden.

It has a separate single garage connected to the bungalow by a
carport, all marked on the Land registry plans.

I want to build a double garage come workshop and home office as an
extension to my bungalow. It will require planning permission as it
will be 1 ft 30cm from the boundary. I will also incorporating land
now occupied by the existing carport and garage as we as a garden home
office shed and a garden shed.

Has anyone done something similar or has any an ideas, photos or plans
that might help me go in the correct direction.

The Bungalow has a Gable end and the Workshop extension will be in the
top bar crossing a “T” more or less.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris

It would be easier to talk to an architect or a builder to see what you can
and can't have in the space. You should also find out if there are any
restrictions on foundation positions and things, because you won't know
about local water table depths and things like that. Your local planning
department should have all that kind of information.

The ground works are the all important part of any construction, so they
need to be researched fully before you even go into the planning and design
of your new build. It may cost you a fortune to have pilings set in the
ground just so you can have a small single storey extension or workshop
added. So I would advise getting all the information about the land first,
then see what your planning department will allow for your site.

Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 05:57:26 -0800 (PST), BusaC
wrote:

It will require planning permission

More than likely

as it will be 1 ft 30cm from the boundary.

But not for that reason. Distance from the boundary is irrelevant with
regards planning permission. It *is* relevant with regards building
regs but only if the structure is built largely from combustible
materials.

I will also incorporating land
now occupied by the existing carport and garage as we as a garden home
office shed and a garden shed.

Has anyone done something similar or has any an ideas, photos or plans
that might help me go in the correct direction.

I think a chat with an architect or architectural technologist(less
qualified but therefore cheaper) would be the best first step. They
should have lots of ideas about how best to turn your requirements
into bricks and mortar,

Cheers,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Dec, 13:57, BusaC wrote:
I have inherited a freehold Bungalow with a largish garden.

It has a separate single garage connected to the bungalow by a
carport, all marked on the Land registry plans.

I want to build a double garage come workshop and home office as an
extension to my bungalow. It will require planning permission as it
will be 1 ft 30cm from the boundary. I will also incorporating land
now occupied by the existing carport and garage as we as a garden home
office shed and a garden shed.

Has anyone done something similar or has any an ideas, photos or plans
that might help me go in the correct direction.

The Bungalow has a Gable end and the Workshop extension will be in the
top bar crossing a “T” more or less.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris

FIrst thing is to look for any similar extensions to similar
properties in the area, since often you will be allowed to do what
others have done (not *always* though !).
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Dec, 14:55, "BigWallop" wrote:
"BusaC" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

[...]