Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What temp should my Greenstar be pushing around?

I saw the thread on "non condensing boiler condensing" and wondered what is
the most efficient temp for my 30CDi to be providing.
TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EDIT: My installer said to keep it at full chat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My installer said to keep it at full chat.

"Brass Monkey" wrote in message

You would only turn it up to full on the main boiler thermostat, but your
room stat and radiator thermostat valve would regulate the heating into each
area of the house. However, I have found that the boiler can be reduced to
around three quarters of the way up the boiler 'stat, and the systems
usually keep going without any detrimental effects on heating comfort.

Whether turning the boiler 'stat down a little is any type of energy saving
concept, I have no idea. I only know that the boiler doesn't fire up for as
long as it did with the thermostat fully on. Though it may be firing up
more often than it did at full temperature.

Me thinks someone with a little more expertise, should get a grip of this to
tell us either way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 4, 6:21*pm, "BigWallop" wrote:
"Brass Monkey" wrote in message

You would only turn it up to full on the main boiler thermostat, but your
room stat and radiator thermostat valve would regulate the heating into each
area of the house. *However, I have found that the boiler can be reduced to
around three quarters of the way up the boiler 'stat, and the systems
usually keep going without any detrimental effects on heating comfort.

Whether turning the boiler 'stat down a little is any type of energy saving
concept, I have no idea. *I only know that the boiler doesn't fire up for as
long as it did with the thermostat fully on. *Though it may be firing up
more often than it did at full temperature.

Me thinks someone with a little more expertise, should get a grip of this to
tell us either way.

Why dont you go to the manufacturers site and see for yourself, Im in
the US and all condensing boiler specs I have read show the peak
efficency is under 140f, at 180f they are about 6% less efficent. I
find alot of "pro" installers idiots. They dont read. My "pro"
installer who has been installing and repairing maybe 40 years I just
found sets Steam units very wrong, trust yourself and read
manufacturers specs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Worcester Bosch don't seem to offer any suggestions on this point.
At least, I can't find it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:05:53 -0000, "Brass Monkey" wrote:

I saw the thread on "non condensing boiler condensing" and wondered what is
the most efficient temp for my 30CDi to be providing.

The most efficient is as low as you can go whilst providing enough
temperature rise to heat your hot water and heat your rooms.

Long fuel burns at low flow temperatures are always much more
efficient than short high output burns at high temperatures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:05:53 -0000, "Brass Monkey" wrote:

I saw the thread on "non condensing boiler condensing" and wondered what is
the most efficient temp for my 30CDi to be providing.

The most efficient is as low as you can go whilst providing enough
temperature rise to heat your hot water and heat your rooms.

Long fuel burns at low flow temperatures are always much more
efficient than short high output burns at high temperatures.

is the burn/flow rate any different between boiler temps? its not on
mine the burn/flow rate is identical it just stays on longer for a
higher boiler temp

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 4, 7:12*pm, "Brass Monkey" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Dec 4, 6:21 pm, "BigWallop" wrote:

"Brass Monkey" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

At least, I can't find it.- Hide quoted text -

The condensing design has limits and all are designed from the same
principle, this information on operating temp and efficency is all
over, Google it and go to different boiler manufacturer sites, even
contact Bosch, Its a fairly linear degradation over 139f or less than
135f, there is an optimal temp you want to try to not go over, the
aquastat under the boiler cover or on the boiler should be easily
adjustable to lower it. The less a boiler cycles, the longer run times
also keep it most efficent, unless you pump the water 24x7 and the
pump is old an inneficent. My new pump uses 50% less power.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 13:21:57 +0000, Kevin
wrote:

Mike wrote:
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:05:53 -0000, "Brass Monkey" wrote:

I saw the thread on "non condensing boiler condensing" and wondered what is
the most efficient temp for my 30CDi to be providing.

The most efficient is as low as you can go whilst providing enough
temperature rise to heat your hot water and heat your rooms.

Long fuel burns at low flow temperatures are always much more
efficient than short high output burns at high temperatures.

is the burn/flow rate any different between boiler temps? its not on
mine the burn/flow rate is identical it just stays on longer for a
higher boiler temp

If you have no room thermostat and a non modulating boiler you are
bang on the mark.

On a boiler such as the 30CDi mentioned by the original poster the
amount of gas and air admitted to the burner will alter on a
continuous basis to maintain the return flow temperature to that set
on the boiler thermostat. If the boiler thermostat temperature is set
low enough the boiler will run for very extended periods, most of it
in condensing mode and maintaining optimum room comfort.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike wrote:
[...]

ah I have not moved on to a condensing boiler yet, I never thought a
boiler was that clever

--
Kevin R
Reply address works