Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wet room on new solid floor

One of the jobs I'm on seems to grow like Topsy. Originally it was just a
new boiler, then I find out they're ripping out the kitchen so will want
services reinstated for that, then they rip out the kitchen floor so in
goes UFH, latest is that a rather grotty little shower room which was
being left has now been ripped out after all, along with its solid floor.
So more services, more UFH, and I'm suggesting to the client a wet room
rather than shower tray.

These linear drains seem rather nice
http://www.advancedwetrooms.com/prod...ins-unidrains/
(though not cheap, I'm sure). Are they the only ones of their type on the
market (not counting types you see outdoors)? Any other good suppliers of
stuff for wet rooms on solid floors? Most of the systems google finds seem
to be for suspended floors.

Any other heads-ups I should know about?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

I've heard plumbers talk of channeling into the solid floor then laying the
waste system. Like a pipe within a pipe, sort of thing. I have absolutely
no idea why they do that, but they do. Could it be something to do with
solid floors being at ground level with little direct access? Could be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

One of the jobs I'm on seems to grow like Topsy. Originally it was just a
new boiler, then I find out they're ripping out the kitchen so will want
services reinstated for that, then they rip out the kitchen floor so in
goes UFH, latest is that a rather grotty little shower room which was
being left has now been ripped out after all, along with its solid floor.
So more services, more UFH, and I'm suggesting to the client a wet room
rather than shower tray.

These linear drains seem rather nice
http://www.advancedwetrooms.com/prod...ins-unidrains/
(though not cheap, I'm sure). Are they the only ones of their type on the
market (not counting types you see outdoors)? Any other good suppliers of
stuff for wet rooms on solid floors? Most of the systems google finds seem
to be for suspended floors.

Any other heads-ups I should know about?

I've just bought a strip drain, made by ACO (they of pavement drain fame).
I thought that was flippin expensive for a bit of welded stainless, but it's
cheap compared to what you've found.

http://www.bathroom2u.com/aco-channe...ly-p-8620.html

It was one of those things - this isn't coming out, ever, so might as well
get it right.

Construction and fitting theory seem fine and the bottle trap is fully
clearable from above as it would need to be.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've just bought a strip drain, made by ACO (they of pavement drain fame).
I thought that was flippin expensive for a bit of welded stainless, but
it's cheap compared to what you've found.

http://www.bathroom2u.com/aco-channe...ly-p-8620.html

It was one of those things - this isn't coming out, ever, so might as well
get it right.

Construction and fitting theory seem fine and the bottle trap is fully
clearable from above as it would need to be.

Cheers

Tim

BTW - fitting instructions are somewhere he

http://www.acobuildingdrainage.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

These linear drains seem rather nicehttp://www.advancedwetrooms.com/product-services/drains-unidrains/
(though not cheap, I'm sure). Are they the only ones of their type on the
market (not counting types you see outdoors)? Any other good suppliers of
stuff for wet rooms on solid floors? Most of the systems google finds seem
to be for suspended floors.

Any other heads-ups I should know about?

--
John Stumbles *-- *http://yaph.co.uk

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?

I built an open shower area 20 years ago, long before the current
favoured term 'wet room' appeared. The room is a bit over 1.4m square
and has the shower, toilet and basin in it.

The architect sourcing the materials did have difficulty locating a
suitable drain outlet but found one that is the size of a 150mm tile
with effectively concentric cylinders acting as the trap. I guess he
would have looked in the suppliers to swimming pools, etc.

I had the floor laid so that the shower area (850mm sq) was set down
by 60mm or so to retain the worst of the shower water in one area. A
friend took the idea into her new house but I think the builder made 3
mistakes - he didn't recess the floor under the shower, he used shiny
tiles so that there is a danger of slipping in the room, and he didn't
slope the floor towards the drain so the area remains permanently
wet. I used a floor tile that had a raised pattern on one side and
smooth on the other, and also had matching skirting tiles.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
One of the jobs I'm on seems to grow like Topsy. Originally it was just a
new boiler, then I find out they're ripping out the kitchen so will want
services reinstated for that, then they rip out the kitchen floor so in
goes UFH, latest is that a rather grotty little shower room which was
being left has now been ripped out after all, along with its solid floor.
So more services, more UFH, and I'm suggesting to the client a wet room
rather than shower tray.

These linear drains seem rather nice
http://www.advancedwetrooms.com/prod...ins-unidrains/
(though not cheap, I'm sure). Are they the only ones of their type on the
market (not counting types you see outdoors)? Any other good suppliers of
stuff for wet rooms on solid floors? Most of the systems google finds seem
to be for suspended floors.

Any other heads-ups I should know about?

As the head of building control at my council said, fit a low profile shower
tray, they are far less trouble than a wet room floor and a lot easier to
get right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
One of the jobs I'm on seems to grow like Topsy. Originally it was just a
new boiler, then I find out they're ripping out the kitchen so will want
services reinstated for that, then they rip out the kitchen floor so in
goes UFH, latest is that a rather grotty little shower room which was
being left has now been ripped out after all, along with its solid floor.
So more services, more UFH, and I'm suggesting to the client a wet room
rather than shower tray.

These linear drains seem rather nice
http://www.advancedwetrooms.com/prod...ins-unidrains/
(though not cheap, I'm sure). Are they the only ones of their type on the
market (not counting types you see outdoors)? Any other good suppliers of
stuff for wet rooms on solid floors? Most of the systems google finds seem
to be for suspended floors.

Any other heads-ups I should know about?

I have to admit I uses a bog standard plastic shower trap and buried it
in the concrete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

YAPH wrote:

These linear drains seem rather nice
http://www.advancedwetrooms.com/prod...ins-unidrains/
(though not cheap, I'm sure). Are they the only ones of their type on the
market (not counting types you see outdoors)? Any other good suppliers of
stuff for wet rooms on solid floors? Most of the systems google finds seem
to be for suspended floors.

http://www.wedi.co.uk/fundo.php I like it because the 40mm of foam
insulation prevents the tiles feeling cold.

--
djc @work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:54:02 +0000, djc wrote:

http://www.wedi.co.uk/fundo.php I like it because the 40mm of foam
insulation prevents the tiles feeling cold.

I don't want that then: this will have UFH!

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The floggings will continue until morale improves
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:54:02 +0000, djc wrote:

http://www.wedi.co.uk/fundo.php I like it because the 40mm of foam
insulation prevents the tiles feeling cold.

I don't want that then: this will have UFH!

still needs the 40mm of foam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:42:12 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

still needs the 40mm of foam.

Oh sorry, yes it'll be insulated underneath (builder prefers 100mm of
polystyrene but there you go).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

87.5% of statistics are made up
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:42:12 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

still needs the 40mm of foam.

Oh sorry, yes it'll be insulated underneath (builder prefers 100mm of
polystyrene but there you go).

then you have an intelligent builder.

Which is notable itself.