Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Christmas Bah Humbug ! or Something Else at Play ... ?

Anybody else noticed on their travels, the total lack of decorated houses
this year ? Is it the cost of the electricity perhaps? Doesn't seem like a
lot until you start thinking that 1000 little light bulbs at 1 watt apiece,
is one unit of electricity every hour ...

Or is it just a general lack of good cheer this year due to the "terrible
financial conditions" that the government keep trying to convince us are
with us ?

Or is it something completely different, maybe ? I can think of at least 6
houses in my immediate area, that are normally ablaze by now with icicle
lights, leaping reindeer, giant inflatable santas and so on. Every square
foot of the house covered. This year ? Nothing. Even in the village centre,
there's only one feeble attempt by one business, to liven up his shop
window.

Or is it just round here that everyone's turned into a miserable sod ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

It's a bit early in the month I think. Most people will be hanging on a bit
longer before spending on the cost of the decorations this year. We are
waiting until the 12th of this month, that's when family and friends will
start to appear. We have new toddlers in the group now, so the older kids
can show them how to put the Christmas cheer into the decorating. Close the
door and we won't hear them for hours. :-)

Just put a smile on your face when you walk down the street. It seems to
have a catchy side that makes everyone else want to smile back at you. For
anyone who catches a longer glance in your direction, just wish them a Merry
Christmas. If that don't make them smile back, watch your wallet. Ho Ho Ho
!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody else noticed on their travels, the total lack of decorated
houses this year ? Is it the cost of the electricity perhaps? Doesn't
seem like a lot until you start thinking that 1000 little light bulbs
at 1 watt apiece, is one unit of electricity every hour ...

Seems a reasonable assumption to me!

Or is it just a general lack of good cheer this year due to the
"terrible financial conditions" that the government keep trying to
convince us are with us ?

It would appear that there is a bit of a problem with the odd job losses at
the moment - try blaming the bankers and their greed in selling sub-prime
mortgages or not spreading the money around that we, the tax payers, have
made available to them.

Or is it something completely different, maybe ? I can think of at
least 6 houses in my immediate area, that are normally ablaze by now
with icicle lights, leaping reindeer, giant inflatable santas and so
on. Every square foot of the house covered. This year ? Nothing. Even
in the village centre, there's only one feeble attempt by one
business, to liven up his shop window.

Might give you a hint then at the problem - or it could be the health and
safety brigade telling people that they must obtain permission to install
the lights on their property and then get each-and-every item PAT tested and
certified before they can switch them on (yes that has happened very
recently).

Or is it just round here that everyone's turned into a miserable sod ?

Now if you think that, why don't you dip into your pocket and install and
run your own decorations - or are you simply a tight-fisted 'sod' who enjoys
these 'shows' at the expense of others?

Don't you just hate those that grumble and bitch when they can't get what
they want - a bit like the ubiquitous Arthur Daley from Minder - a tight
fisted ******* if ever there was one (just like the OP here).

Unbeliever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Unbeliever" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

You sound more grumpy than anyone else. :-) Have another glass of wine,
ya' glum old sod. LOL

Ho HO Ho !!! Mary Kiss my arse. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Nah, not "grumpy" Big Wallop, I just get ****ed off when idiots start
moaning about what other people are *not* doing for the 'idiots'
benefit/amusement.

As I said to Arfa there, if he misses the lights that much, then let him
stick his hand into his pockets, go and buy a few sets of outdoor lights and
string 'em around his 'pad' and let the neighbours enjoy his handiwork.

As for me, it back to the old outside lights that go up around the middle of
the month, ditto with the 'real' Nordman or Noble fir Xmas tree inside the
house (along with the decorations and more lights) - and yes, I enoy doing
it.

(But I gave up believing in Father Christmas many years ago)

ROTFL

Unbeliever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

You don't believe in Saint Nicholas? What? You really don't believe in
Santa Claus? Cheezo!!!! You really have lost the spirit of the season of
good will to all men. And if you'd ever met Good Will, you'll know who I'm
talking about. :-)

It's not the lights and decorations that make Christmas time good. It's the
attitude you take toward others. You can lighten a room more with a smile,
than you can with a string of little lights.

Your chatting with a guy (and a family) who do not believe in any kind of
Christianity or Gods or any deity of any kind, shape or form. Yet we look
upon this time of year, as getting through one year unscathed and starting
fresh in another year unscathed. It is something to rejoice about, don't
you think? A whole new year approaching, to do what the *+%$ you want with
it. You just have to go out there and grab it with both hands and kiss it
hard on the lips. Or is that just me? Tell the truth. I don't care. :-)

All I know is, this time of year is great to be in. The cheerful music in
all the shops. The happy smiling faces of the kids as they empty your
pockets of money. The junkies jacking up in the streets and falling over
high as a kite and not giving a fig or an almond. The beggars who challenge
you for your loose change that your own kids have already made off with.
The bank card that is rejected in all the shops you visit. The plane
crashes. The starving in other countries. The homeless and dispossessed.
The uncharitable feeling that flows through everyone.

F it. You're right. I'm, spending the rest of the year in bed. There is
nothing left to live for. Goodbye cruel world. :-) LOL Yeahy Right.

Cheer up!!! It's Christmas !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 23:22:29 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Your chatting with a guy (and a family) who do not believe in any kind of
Christianity or Gods or any deity of any kind, shape or form. Yet we look
upon this time of year, as getting through one year unscathed and starting
fresh in another year unscathed. It is something to rejoice about, don't
you think? A whole new year approaching, to do what the *+%$ you want with
it. You just have to go out there and grab it with both hands and kiss it
hard on the lips. Or is that just me? Tell the truth. I don't care. :-)

We don't really do anything special. We don't send cards and now
nearly don't get any back (upon request, well except the local Curry
house and some old dear who doesn't realise the previous occupiers
left nearly 30 years ago!). We put the money we might of spent in the
local Hospice instead. Celebrating another year? I try to celebrate
another day (so probably why we don't do birthdays or wedding
anniversaries either, that's another load of pressure off). ;-)

Excuse for a drink up, don't need one. Excuse to eat more than we
should, don't need one for that either. Getting / giving things to
friends / family or helping 'strangers', we try all year round.

Don't send a bit of pre printed meaningless / expensive cardboard to a
seldom seen relative, ring them and have a chat, or better pop round
(if you actually like each other. Do folk ever consider there might be
a reason who you haven't seen someone since last Christmas?) :-)

All I know is, this time of year is great to be in. The cheerful music in
all the shops. The happy smiling faces of the kids as they empty your
pockets of money. The junkies jacking up in the streets and falling over
high as a kite and not giving a fig or an almond. The beggars who challenge
you for your loose change that your own kids have already made off with.
The bank card that is rejected in all the shops you visit. The plane
crashes. The starving in other countries. The homeless and dispossessed.
The uncharitable feeling that flows through everyone.

LOL.. so true ... ;-)

The problem is, although it should be a time of good will and
happiness it's often a time of high stress and pressure. Those that
have, can carry on pouring it down the drain and those that don't
often go to desperate lengths to *buy* what they believe (or have been
led to believe) is a good Christmas for their kids and family.

It's actually quite difficult to break the loop though. We have no
decorations, no tree, no Xmas fare, no presents, why, because most of
it is BS and none of us can be bothered. We are fortunate enough to be
in good health and have the strength of our own convictions. We can
deal with being labeled as 'miserable' or 'weird' because we know we
are the stronger people for doing what we believe is right for us and
what probably could be right for many more if 1) they could be brave
enough to do it and 2) thought about what they are doing for just one
second. If it all works for you, carry on, enjoy.

If our daughter or my Mum or a mate needs or wants something, we do
our best to get it for them when it's the best time for them. eg, We
don't get our kids a bike for the 25th of December when it's most
useable in the summer.

Think about it. You go from swapping gifts, to swapping vouchers, to
swapping cash, to buying yourselves want 'to the same value' and them
doing the same ... wtf? What might be *really* nice is to actually
help them do something when they need help?

F it. You're right. I'm, spending the rest of the year in bed. There is
nothing left to live for. Goodbye cruel world. :-) LOL Yeahy Right.

Cheer up!!! It's Christmas !!!

Join in the commercial spirit of Christmas you mean .. not here! ;-)

Bah humbug!

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it just me, or does this 'Unbeliever' ****** sound just like Tanner Op ?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Is it just me, or does this 'Unbeliever' ****** sound just like Tanner Op ?

Not that I've really noticed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Now how do you arrive at that little gem ? You know **** all about me. I am
not a "tight fisted *******" as you so eloquently put it. Up until last
year, I had my house covered with decorations. This year, various things of
which you could have no knowledge, have contrived to prevent me from having
them up. Clearly, you also understand nothing of the Minder series, or the
character which George Cole strove to portray in Arthur Daley. It obviously
went right over your thick head.

****.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:03:24 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Anybody else noticed on their travels, the total lack of decorated houses
this year ?

Christmas will be like any other day in this house - dead miserable !! You
can spend pounds if you're not careful - not one extra penny is leaving my
pocket I can assure you of that !!

Upstairs with my mug of cocoa and my copy of Bleak House.

I HATE Christmas !!!!
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:03:24 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Anybody else noticed on their travels, the total lack of decorated

houses
this year ?

Christmas will be like any other day in this house - dead miserable !! You
can spend pounds if you're not careful - not one extra penny is leaving my
pocket I can assure you of that !!

Upstairs with my mug of cocoa and my copy of Bleak House.

I HATE Christmas !!!!

Regards,
Hugh Jampton

Boy!!!! Yes. You young man!!! Take this goose around to Hughs' house, and
tell him we all send our love to his family, especially tiny Tim. :-)

Ho Ho Ho !!!! May I kick your ass. LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:03:24 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Anybody else noticed on their travels, the total lack of decorated houses
this year ?

Christmas will be like any other day in this house - dead miserable !! You
can spend pounds if you're not careful - not one extra penny is leaving my
pocket I can assure you of that !!

Upstairs with my mug of cocoa and my copy of Bleak House.

I HATE Christmas !!!!

Nothing wrong with a mid winter festival but, like most innocent
pleasures, it has been trampled on and ruined.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:03:24 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Anybody else noticed on their travels, the total lack of decorated

houses
this year ?

Christmas will be like any other day in this house - dead miserable !!

You
can spend pounds if you're not careful - not one extra penny is leaving

my
pocket I can assure you of that !!

Upstairs with my mug of cocoa and my copy of Bleak House.

I HATE Christmas !!!!

Nothing wrong with a mid winter festival but, like most innocent
pleasures, it has been trampled on and ruined.

Money. Some say it is money that is the root of all evils. But it is
actually the "want" for more money that creates and nurtures evil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:14:00 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Nothing wrong with a mid winter festival but, like most innocent
pleasures, it has been trampled on and ruined.

Money. Some say it is money that is the root of all evils. But it is
actually the "want" for more money that creates and nurtures evil.

Well it can that's for sure.

Luckily I've always been in the position to be able to pay my way and
afford some of the (smaller) extra things in life [1]. Never offered
myself for any overtime though (I've done it when asked, all hands to
the pumps etc) but my life started at 5pm not 9am and I always valued
my (family) time over any wages.

T i m

[1] Something that confused many people at the time. "How can you
afford to do X on your wages?" The answer of course was I didn't pay
anyone to do anything, doing all of it myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nothing wrong with a mid winter festival but, like most innocent
pleasures, it has been trampled on and ruined.

Money. Some say it is money that is the root of all evils. But it is
actually the "want" for more money that creates and nurtures evil.

Well it can that's for sure.

Oh yeah. It is. There is no more frightening sight than a person desperate
for ready cash. Some look shifty and deceitful. Others look wild and
tormented. But both types have that evil look, when the cash is just out
their reach, and they want it badly. It's the most evil sight you'll ever
see in your life.

I've seen it far too many times not to be able to recognise it from a mile
away.

Luckily I've always been in the position to be able to pay my way and
afford some of the (smaller) extra things in life [1]. Never offered
myself for any overtime though (I've done it when asked, all hands to
the pumps etc) but my life started at 5pm not 9am and I always valued
my (family) time over any wages.

T i m

That's the clever way to do it. There ain't nought wrong with the stuff
made by your own hands. It's a fact of life that a paid job is a great
feeder and provider, but the most satisfaction you can get, is by building
your own luxuries.

I've been in business for almost 25 years, and the guys still ask me why I'm
doing the tools along with them. My only answer is, it's because I can't
stop doing what I like doing. I learned my trade at my fathers side, so
it's in the blood now. If I thought I had to give it up, that's when I'd
lay down and crock my last breath. I pay other people to do things I hate
or can't do, so why should I come off the tools? It was the tools in my
hands that started the business they now works for. When they can come to
me and say they have done the same, I'll shake their hand and wish them good
luck with it.

I'd much rather get the materials and build what I want, than go out and buy
a thing that someone else has put their sweat into. At least I know I get
my one right. :-)

[1] Something that confused many people at the time. "How can you
afford to do X on your wages?" The answer of course was I didn't pay
anyone to do anything, doing all of it myself.

Congratulations to that man. He's a winner, folks. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

it's not christmas for 21 days actually
(though in finland they celebrate and give gifts on the 24th and keep
the 25th for churchy things.

Arfa Daily wrote:
Anybody else noticed on their travels, the total lack of decorated houses
this year ? xxxxxxxxxxxx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Maybe people have finally realised it looks as tacky as @£%*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Best thread I've followed in a long time :0)

From a comfirmed humbugger.