Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loud pop - then my electricity went off. Something happened to my radiator (in my bedroom) - please help

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:42:56 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

The rest must come from Maplins etc. I have never bought or fitted a 1,
2, 7
or 10 amp fuse in a plug ever.

Apparently 7A fuses were the correct ones to use for many early colour
TVs, to withstand the degaussing surge on switch-on.

There were only 3A and 13A fuses once.

Rubbish - I have an old plug with a 5A fuse in. Hails from the 50s

There is also a 15A version

Rubbish, we aren't talking pre 1363A even if you are an old fart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

wrote:

The rest must come from Maplins etc. I have never bought or fitted
a 1, 2, 7
or 10 amp fuse in a plug ever.

Apparently 7A fuses were the correct ones to use for many early colour
TVs, to withstand the degaussing surge on switch-on.

There were only 3A and 13A fuses once.

Rubbish - I have an old plug with a 5A fuse in. Hails from the 50s

There is also a 15A version

Rubbish, we aren't talking pre 1363A even if you are an old fart.

Then you shouldn't make sweeping unqualified statements

"There were only 3A and 13A fuses once."

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Salisbury" nntp.dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
David Hansen wrote:
On 29 Nov 2008 15:30:52 GMT someone who may be
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

ASTA = Association of Short-circuit Testing Authorities
(I'll bet it's good fun working for them;-)

Fuse manufacturers have put out some wonderful films to promote
their wares. I remember one where busbars were made to "explode",
they flew off in various directions shedding bits of molten copper
in the process. Must have been great fun to make the film.

You may be interested in
http://www.era.co.uk/services/devices.asp

Regards

James

Nice one.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

It's the other way around. All those values always existed,
and were required when appliances had longer flexs.
They still exist today, but only 3A and 13A are still regarded
as standard values, as the others have steadily been dropped
(in a large part due to changes to appliance legislation as
a result of the open market across Europe, e.g. building an
appliance that requires a 7A plug fuse to be safe would now be
illegal).

Andrew Gabriel

So why has every stairlift that I have ever looked at got a 7A fuse in it.

I do not fit or remove stairlifts, but I seem to rewire a lot of houses that
have them. Usually this is due to the elderly/disabled person that lived
there and used the stairlift passing away or going into a care home and the
new owner wanting a rewire. I am not suggesting that anything is wrong with
the wiring, but quite the opposite. The installer of these lifts always do
the main equipotential bonding and often supply a seperate RCD CU for the
lift.

Adam