Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B-Notices

Do I (to comply with the law - I probably won't anyway) need a Building
Notice to move a non-load-bearing internal stud wall?

How about the grey water drains internally? E.g. Move Bath and Shower
about in the bathroom. (Taking care of the new zones for the leccy, of
course)

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
Do I (to comply with the law - I probably won't anyway) need a Building
Notice to move a non-load-bearing internal stud wall?

Depends. Firstly, that it's not structural. Just 'cos it's stud, don't
mean it ain't load-bearing. Also, it could provide lateral restraint to
a wall.

Secondly, that it doesn't adversely affect means of escape in case of
fire. For example, if it's in a flat or a three-storey house, a
protected hall may be needed.

How about the grey water drains internally? E.g. Move Bath and Shower
about in the bathroom. (Taking care of the new zones for the leccy, of
course)

Generally not, provided that it doesn't involve work on the underground
drainage, and it doesn't prejudice the health and safety of any person
on completion of the work.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:05:38 +0000
Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:
Do I (to comply with the law - I probably won't anyway) need a Building
Notice to move a non-load-bearing internal stud wall?

Depends. Firstly, that it's not structural. Just 'cos it's stud, don't
mean it ain't load-bearing. Also, it could provide lateral restraint to
a wall.

Good point about lateral restraint. I know it's not load bearing as it
doesn't actually line up with a joist above (bungalow) and runs in the
same plane (across the house). The Joists provide the main
wall-to-wall tie, but these studs could offer extra support.

I guess than means that I need to put the new ones in before removing
the old. They will be more substantial anyway, as I want to put more
insulation in.

I may get a structural engineer to check my plans. I don't mine paying
a professional, but object to paying for the jobsworths at the
Council.

Thanks.
R.