Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CCTV and public notices

I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am recording
with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the street.

I have no problem with that (I prefer the sign to be there so that unwelcome
visitors to my van and car may see it), but what about audio?

Do I need a special notice about audio being recorded or will just the CCTV
sign be OK?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RCW RCW is offline

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am recording
with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the street.

Asked by who ?

I have no problem with that (I prefer the sign to be there so that
unwelcome visitors to my van and car may see it), but what about audio?

What about it. If it catches the theiving scum then any evidence will be
worthwhile, even sound

Do I need a special notice about audio being recorded or will just the
CCTV sign be OK?

If you put the sign up to appease the local noseaches and busybodies then
you are advertising the fact you have something worth nicking where the
camera points at.

Maybe it would be better to just conceal the camera and say nowt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RCW wrote:
[...]

according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to
film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so. If you
had recorded a theft or such like without having a sign up the courts could
not use it as evidence and also the criminal could actually sue the person
that did the filming.
Justice! what the hell is that ?

Chris

--

http://tinyurl.com/hhlr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , chris 159
wrote

according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to
film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so. If you
had recorded a theft or such like without having a sign up the courts could
not use it as evidence and also the criminal could actually sue the person
that did the filming.
Justice! what the hell is that ?

Surely you can just do what the Police do with speed cameras? Put a
notice up a quarter of a mile away from the camera.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RCW" .@. wrote in message ...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am
recording with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the
street.

Asked by who ?

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a council
house I find it a bit odd.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:11:55 UTC, "chris 159"
wrote:

according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to
film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so. If you
had recorded a theft or such like without having a sign up the courts could
not use it as evidence and also the criminal could actually sue the person
that did the filming.

New guidance has been issued in the last couple of years. Take a look at
the Information Commissioner's website.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

Surely you can just do what the Police do with speed cameras? Put a
notice up a quarter of a mile away from the camera.

or a notice around the back/side of the house?
so within nn metres from the camera.

Come to think of it, how many signs do you see on Motorway gantries or
near the 10's of 1000's of city center CCTV "steerable" cameras?

I can't see how it could possibly be a legal or otherwise issue.
There is after all (supposedly) one law for all, not a law for the
public, another for the council, and an extra one for the police...

is there?

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am recording
with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the street.

Who asked you to do that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-28 18:47:50 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"RCW" .@. wrote in message ...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am
recording with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the
street.

Asked by who ?

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a council
house I find it a bit odd.

Adam

Is this a euphemism for another euphemism - "enforcer"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to
film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so. If you
had recorded a theft or such like without having a sign up the courts could
not use it as evidence and also the criminal could actually sue the person
that did the filming.

It seems at odds with the fact you can photograph people in a place
where they have no reasonable expectation of privacy - i.e. a public
street.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RCW" .@. wrote in message ...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am
recording with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the
street.

Asked by who ?

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a council
house I find it a bit odd.

Adam

Whatever an "Impact Officer's" business is, your CCTV setup is not it. If he
comes back tell him to get lost.

The only piece of legislation that may require the posting of CCTV "warning"
notices is the Data Protection Act, and that is a) enforced by the Office of
the Information Commissioner not local authorities and b) as you are a
private individual your CCTV is very very unlikely to fall under the
requirements of the act.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/faqs/da...2-278DE2D7446C

Even if you were a business the DPA would not necessarily apply
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ct_applies.pdf

So next time tell him to mind his own business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh and
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...f_practice.pdf

with reference to the introduction and end note 2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a
council house I find it a bit odd.

Is this a euphemism for another euphemism - "enforcer"?

Our local council have a 'Traveller Liason Officer'. A euphemism for 'Pikey
Watcher'.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:42:24 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a
council house I find it a bit odd.

Is this a euphemism for another euphemism - "enforcer"?

Our local council have a 'Traveller Liason Officer'. A euphemism for 'Pikey
Watcher'.

Surely, to the east of the river, there is an Indigenous Shell Suit
Wearer Liaison person too.... or Chav Watcher!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Surely, to the east of the river, there is an Indigenous Shell Suit
Wearer Liaison person too.... or Chav Watcher!

Bluewater has its own Cowled Torsowear Monitor.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:44:09 UTC, Owain
wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:
I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am
recording with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the street.
I have no problem with that (I prefer the sign to be there so that
unwelcome visitors to my van and car may see it), but what about audio?
Do I need a special notice about audio being recorded or will just the
CCTV sign be OK?

If it says CCTV then I think that covers audio and video. If however
your notice said "images are being recorded..." then I don't think that
would cover audio.

OTOH, since he doesn't actually *need* a notice anyway....!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris 159" wrote in message
according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to
film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so...

Signs are only required for those CCTV users who are covered by the DPA.
Home users were exempted from the Act and commercial users are now not
necessarily covered by it.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-28 20:42:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a
council house I find it a bit odd.

Is this a euphemism for another euphemism - "enforcer"?

Our local council have a 'Traveller Liason Officer'. A euphemism for
'Pikey Watcher'.

Is this to try to get them to pay council tax, send the kids to school
or pre-empt the complaints from "regular society"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a
council house I find it a bit odd.

Is this a euphemism for another euphemism - "enforcer"?

Our local council have a 'Traveller Liason Officer'. A euphemism for
'Pikey Watcher'.

Surely, to the east of the river, there is an Indigenous Shell Suit
Wearer Liaison person too.... or Chav Watcher!

I thought that that was north of the Thames, or is it general an
estuarine thing?

Is there an east and west Medway syndrome as well.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:50:00 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Surely, to the east of the river, there is an Indigenous Shell Suit
Wearer Liaison person too.... or Chav Watcher!

I thought that that was north of the Thames, or is it general an
estuarine thing?

Is there an east and west Medway syndrome as well.?

Well, Chavs were oringinall supposed to be indigenous to Chatham - which
is south of the Thames and east of the Meday.

Let's not even start on 'Men of Kent' and 'Kentish Men'...!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Bluewater has its own Cowled Torsowear Monitor.

que?

Hoodies are banned in Bluewater Shopping Hole.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"HLAH" wrote in message

Oh and
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...f_practice.pdf

with reference to the introduction and end note 2.

Thanks for the links. I have decided not to put a notice up and I will see
what action is taken. The person that has made the complaint to the council
has been named as the "impact officer" has sent a letter to him about the
issue and sent it to my address not his.

I think the council can do sweet FA against me after reading those links.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-28 20:42:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Our local council have a 'Traveller Liaison Officer'. A euphemism for
'Pikey Watcher'.

Is this to try to get them to pay council tax, send the kids to school
or pre-empt the complaints from "regular society"?

I don't really know to be honest. I came across this a while ago when in a
local car park which had been invaded by pikeys.

Since Medway Council are like Rotwiellers when it comes to issuing parking
tickets (you have to pay & display till 10pm etc), I went into Victor
Meldrum mode and rang the local parking office. I complained that they were
parking without tickets, in disabled persons bays etc and would he send
wardens down to issue the necessary penalties.

The guy told me that he would inform the Traveller Liaison Officer, but
couldn't send wardens because they might be subjected to abuse or violence.

I asked if I could get away with parking without payment if I abused or
attacked the warden - apparently not.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-29 19:08:09 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2006-09-28 20:42:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Our local council have a 'Traveller Liaison Officer'. A euphemism for
'Pikey Watcher'.

Is this to try to get them to pay council tax, send the kids to school
or pre-empt the complaints from "regular society"?

I don't really know to be honest. I came across this a while ago when
in a local car park which had been invaded by pikeys.

Since Medway Council are like Rotwiellers when it comes to issuing
parking tickets (you have to pay & display till 10pm etc), I went into
Victor Meldrum mode and rang the local parking office.

I'm thinking of marketing Victor Meldrew starter kits. The
dirty-old-man ones (with jumble sale mac) were such a riproaring
success last Christmas that it seems an obvious thing to do.
I could then market dyspepsia medicince to council officials.

So have you met this TLO? Is he a hard *******?

I asked if I could get away with parking without payment if I abused or
attacked the warden - apparently not.

Trouble is that you're not a disadvantaged minority.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth writes

"HLAH" wrote in message
.. .

Oh and
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ailed_speciali

st_guides/cctv_code_of_practice.pdf

with reference to the introduction and end note 2.

Thanks for the links. I have decided not to put a notice up and I will see
what action is taken. The person that has made the complaint to the council
has been named as the "impact officer" has sent a letter to him about the
issue and sent it to my address not his.

I think the council can do sweet FA against me after reading those links.

If you do change your mind, do come back for suggestions on wording.
Can I be first to suggest:
CCTV in operation
I will kick the **** out
of anyone identified
****ing with my van.

:-) (not part of the sign)
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris 159" wrote in message
according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to
film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so. If you
had recorded a theft or such like without having a sign up the courts
could not use it as evidence and also the criminal could actually sue the
person that did the filming.
Justice! what the hell is that ?

Do you have any references for that? When I asked our local police about
putting a camera up, they said I can aim it where-ever I liked and did not
need any kind of notices. The only exceptions were other people's property
and schools (we live next to a school), but the public highway and footpaths
are fair game.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:
"chris 159" wrote in message
according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not
allowed to film public places unless you have a sign to say you are
doing so. If you had recorded a theft or such like without having a
sign up the courts could not use it as evidence and also the
criminal could actually sue the person that did the filming.
Justice! what the hell is that ?

Do you have any references for that? When I asked our local police
about putting a camera up, they said I can aim it where-ever I liked
and did not need any kind of notices. The only exceptions were other
people's property and schools (we live next to a school), but the
public highway and footpaths are fair game.

-- JJ

no references at all. 3 or 4 years ago my parents cctv caught a youth
stealing bits off their camper van on the drive and the police had told them
the tape was no good for a court of law.
But as people have stated - laws have (appaerently) changed since then

Chris

--

http://tinyurl.com/hhlr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:54:28 UTC, "Jason" wrote:

"chris 159" wrote in message
according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to
film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so. If you
had recorded a theft or such like without having a sign up the courts
could not use it as evidence and also the criminal could actually sue the
person that did the filming.
Justice! what the hell is that ?

Do you have any references for that? When I asked our local police about
putting a camera up, they said I can aim it where-ever I liked and did not
need any kind of notices. The only exceptions were other people's property
and schools (we live next to a school), but the public highway and footpaths
are fair game.

Take a look at the rest of the thread for the answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , chris 159
wrote

no references at all. 3 or 4 years ago my parents cctv caught a youth
stealing bits off their camper van on the drive and the police had told them
the tape was no good for a court of law.

It's more to do with the typical Police attitude that the victim is to
blame for having something worth stealing - they don't want to be
bothered with minor crimes.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
ARWadsworth writes

"HLAH" wrote in message
. ..

Oh and
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ailed_speciali

st_guides/cctv_code_of_practice.pdf

with reference to the introduction and end note 2.

Thanks for the links. I have decided not to put a notice up and I will see
what action is taken. The person that has made the complaint to the
council
has been named as the "impact officer" has sent a letter to him about the
issue and sent it to my address not his.

I think the council can do sweet FA against me after reading those links.

If you do change your mind, do come back for suggestions on wording.
Can I be first to suggest:
CCTV in operation
I will kick the **** out
of anyone identified
****ing with my van.

:-) (not part of the sign)

Thanks for that. I can place it next to the sign that says "no sales reps,
hawkers or bible bashers"

Adam