Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attic insulation, 30 cm rafter spacing

Attic insulation, 30 cm rafter spacing. What would be best way to insulate
with this narrow spacing. Could I use spce blanket streatched over rafters?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Francis Kirby wrote:
Attic insulation, 30 cm rafter spacing. What would be best way to insulate
with this narrow spacing. Could I use spce blanket streatched over rafters?

I simply read that in the wrong way. It was me, not your post, but I
wanted to respond:

But the parthenon didn't have insulation. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Francis Kirby" writes:
Attic insulation, 30 cm rafter spacing. What would be best way to insulate
with this narrow spacing. Could I use spce blanket streatched over rafters?

I would get a roll of 100mm insulation (used for topping up),
and cut it into several 30cm wide rolls. (This is quite easy
with a long kitchen knife -- do it with the roll wrapping
still on.) Some rolls come sort of pre-perforated for cutting
to certain joist separations. If there's a 30cm pre-perforated
one, go for that. Otherwise try to get one which isn't pre-
perforated.

Having laid this between the joists, then lay another 100mm layer
(or more if you want) uncut full width across the top at right
angles.

The space blanket stuff has been discredited.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 4:26 pm, wrote:
On 28 Nov,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

The space blanket stuff has been discredited.

Has it? there's nothing wrong with this -- and it doesn't get up your nose
and in your throat. Pity it only comes in 370mm, I need 600mm.

http://www.space-insulation.com/blanket.html

That stuff's fine. It's the stuff that /just/ consists of sheets of
metalized polythene that is a waste of time/money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 10, 2:42 pm, wrote:
On 28 Nov 2008 23:51:20 GMT, (Andrew

Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
"Francis Kirby" writes:
Attic insulation, 30 cm rafter spacing. What would be best way to insulate
with this narrow spacing. Could I use spce blanket streatched over rafters?

I would get a roll of 100mm insulation (used for topping up),
and cut it into several 30cm wide rolls. (This is quite easy
with a long kitchen knife -- do it with the roll wrapping
still on.) Some rolls come sort of pre-perforated for cutting
to certain joist separations. If there's a 30cm pre-perforated
one, go for that. Otherwise try to get one which isn't pre-
perforated.

Having laid this between the joists, then lay another 100mm layer
(or more if you want) uncut full width across the top at right
angles.

The space blanket stuff has been discredited.

Thanks for the info. I've changed my news server, hence the delay in
responding.

I was going to do the roof rafters rather than the floor joists so to
speak. How do I keep the insulation in place?

That probably makes the solid board (Kingspan, Celotex) a more
attractive option. Cut to a friction fit, and just push between the
rafters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Dec 10, 2:42 pm, wrote:
On 28 Nov 2008 23:51:20 GMT, (Andrew

Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
"Francis Kirby" writes:
[...]

Or use Rockwool slabs. Cheaper than foam, and just as easy to maintain
the 50mm gap under the roof tiles