Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling quantity question

Morning All

A tiling quantity question.

Went to Leek Tile Centre and ordered 2 square metres of tiles. We
received 160, maybe 162 four-and-one-eighth-inch tiles. Queried this
with Leek Tile Centre and they tell us that 162 tiles is 2 square
metres.

I'm having difficulties working this out (I'm coming up with nearer
180). Could someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Ta

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Morning All

A tiling quantity question.

Went to Leek Tile Centre and ordered 2 square metres of tiles. We
received 160, maybe 162 four-and-one-eighth-inch tiles. Queried this
with Leek Tile Centre and they tell us that 162 tiles is 2 square
metres.

I'm having difficulties working this out (I'm coming up with nearer
180). Could someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Ta

With 5mm grout spacing it's about 2 sq. m.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 11:36*am, "Grumps" wrote:
With 5mm grout spacing it's about 2 sq. m.

Crikey, you're right

One side of a tile is 0.104447m
Four sides of a tile is 0.417788m
Four sides of 160 tiles is 66.84608m
66.84608m x 0.005m = 0.3342304 sq m taken up by grout ie about 30
tiles!

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 12:34, David wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:36*am, "Grumps" wrote:

With 5mm grout spacing it's about 2 sq. m.

Crikey, you're right

One side of a tile is 0.104447m
Four sides of a tile is 0.417788m
Four sides of 160 tiles is 66.84608m
66.84608m x 0.005m = 0.3342304 sq m taken up by grout ie about 30
tiles!

Thanks

And then halve that ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Morning All

A tiling quantity question.

Went to Leek Tile Centre and ordered 2 square metres of tiles. We
received 160, maybe 162 four-and-one-eighth-inch tiles. Queried this
with Leek Tile Centre and they tell us that 162 tiles is 2 square
metres.

I'm having difficulties working this out (I'm coming up with nearer
180). Could someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Each tile (assuming 3mm grout line) will be 108mm x 108mm = 11664 square mm

1 square metre = 1,000,000 square mm

1,000,000 divided by 11664 = 85.7 tiles per sq metre = 171 tiles total

Using a 5mm grout line the answer would be 165 tiles

Working backwards to get 162 tiles to 'exactly' cover 2 sq metres you would
need a 6mm grout line.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 03:06:58 -0800 (PST), David
wrote:

Morning All

A tiling quantity question.

Went to Leek Tile Centre and ordered 2 square metres of tiles. We
received 160, maybe 162 four-and-one-eighth-inch tiles. Queried this
with Leek Tile Centre and they tell us that 162 tiles is 2 square
metres.

I'm having difficulties working this out (I'm coming up with nearer
180). Could someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Ta

David

See other answers but did you include extra to allow breakages when
laying plus any future breakages .It doesn't sound like you did :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 1:11*pm, wrote:

See other answers but did you include extra to allow breakages when
laying plus any future breakages .It doesn't sound like you did :-)-

Er...We've just ordered 60 more tiles to allow for just that. And for
the tiler tiling a wall we didn't want him to...

Tiling question Peter Watson UK diy 2 September 28th 06 08:58 AM
Another question about tiling Dave UK diy 8 March 23rd 06 07:56 PM
quantity of insulation question RK276 Home Repair 1 May 2nd 05 03:38 PM
Tiling Question John UK diy 4 October 1st 03 10:07 PM
Tiling question. Mark S. UK diy 6 September 11th 03 01:07 PM