Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pneumatic Timer Light Switch - How are they adjusted?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68088/...neumatic-Timer

I refer to the above timer. Can they be adjusted with a screwdriver or
is some other tool necessary?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mr Fizzion
writes

I refer to the above timer. Can they be adjusted with a screwdriver

Yes. A screw on the back of the timer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Mike Tomlinson contains these words:

In article , Mr Fizzion
writes

I refer to the above timer. Can they be adjusted with a screwdriver

Yes. A screw on the back of the timer.

It's a lengthy process and the limit (with the screw screwed in as far
as possible and the timer still operating reliably) is about ten
minutes.

It's a slow process getting the adjustment right -- give yourself a few
hours :-)

However, speaking from decades of experience with them, they tend to be
a lot more reliable than their electronic equivalents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:43:19 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I refer to the above timer. Can they be adjusted with a screwdriver

Yes. A screw on the back of the timer.

And can be a right PITA to adjust as well. A very small tweak of the screw
can make a huge difference to the time delay.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:43:19 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I refer to the above timer. Can they be adjusted with a screwdriver

Yes. A screw on the back of the timer.

And can be a right PITA to adjust as well. A very small tweak of the screw
can make a huge difference to the time delay.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Just like outdoor PIR lights:-) Customer asked me to set the time for 2
minutes. He called be back the next day to complain that it stayed on for 2
minutes and 12 seconds.

I never went back

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Fizzion pretended :
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68088/...neumatic-Timer

I refer to the above timer. Can they be adjusted with a screwdriver or
is some other tool necessary?

Thanks

Usually a small brass screw hidden on the rear when fitted. A slight
turn of the screw makes a huge difference to the time delay - they are
tricky to set and vary once set with temperature.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:45:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

Just like outdoor PIR lights:-) Customer asked me to set the time for 2
minutes. He called be back the next day to complain that it stayed on
for 2 minutes and 12 seconds.

I never went back

I'd have rung him back and explain that I could set it to 2 mins but it
might take a while to achieve, waiting 2 mins after each adjustment etc.
At the minimum it would at the minimum involve a call out fee and possibly
a whole day, was he prepared to pay?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:45:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

Just like outdoor PIR lights:-) Customer asked me to set the time for 2
minutes. He called be back the next day to complain that it stayed on
for 2 minutes and 12 seconds.

I never went back

I'd have rung him back and explain that I could set it to 2 mins but it
might take a while to achieve, waiting 2 mins after each adjustment etc.
At the minimum it would at the minimum involve a call out fee and possibly
a whole day, was he prepared to pay?

ah but he asked for a setting that was not achieved :-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:45:57 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

Just like outdoor PIR lights:-) Customer asked me to set the time
for 2 minutes. He called be back the next day to complain that it
stayed on for 2 minutes and 12 seconds.

I never went back

I'd have rung him back and explain that I could set it to 2 mins but
it might take a while to achieve, waiting 2 mins after each
adjustment etc. At the minimum it would at the minimum involve a
call out fee and possibly a whole day, was he prepared to pay?

ah but he asked for a setting that was not achieved :-)

Instead of Rogue Traders there should be a Rogue Punters show.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:21:51 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

He called be back the next day to complain that it stayed on for 2
minutes and 12 seconds.

I'd have rung him back and explain that I could set it to 2 mins but
it might take a while to achieve,

ah but he asked for a setting that was not achieved :-)

Instead of Rogue Traders there should be a Rogue Punters show.

Aye, insuffcient detail in orginal specification, lack of required
tolerance in ON time setting. If the punter wanted 2 mins +/- 1 second he
should have specfied that and the job could have been priced accordingly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov, 16:19, Appin wrote:
It's a lengthy process and the limit (with the screw screwed in as far
as possible and the timer still operating reliably) is about ten
minutes.

It's a slow process getting the adjustment right -- give yourself a few
hours :-)

It doesn't help that they're adjusted from the live side.

However, speaking from decades of experience with them, they tend to be
a lot more reliable than their electronic equivalents.

Hmm, mine sticks on all the time, and needs a spray of silicone 3in1
to get it working again. Got it cheaper than Screwfix on ebay though,
so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. How much electricity does it
need to save to pay back £17.99?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mr Fizzion pretended :
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68088/...neumatic-Timer

I refer to the above timer. Can they be adjusted with a screwdriver or
is some other tool necessary?
Thanks

Usually a small brass screw hidden on the rear when fitted. A slight
turn of the screw makes a huge difference to the time delay - they are
tricky to set and vary once set with temperature.

Mine varies just by screwing it tighter against the wall. Probably
distorts the shape of the plastic or something. Having wasted hours
getting it right only to get a different result when the thing is back
on the wall I now just adjust it by slackening or tightening the
mounting screws.

--
djc

In Wall Light Switch Timer? Edward Home Repair 13 April 10th 07 04:06 AM
WTB: Timer Light Switch vortex2 UK diy 1 August 1st 06 01:39 PM
Timer for Light Switch?? [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 17th 06 05:05 AM
Timer to replace two way light switch David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 September 27th 05 09:06 PM
Light switch with built-in timer? Al Reynolds UK diy 20 December 8th 04 01:02 PM