David W.E. Roberts

Default Timer to replace two way light switch

Hi,

looking to fit a timer so the outside light comes on to give me light when I
come home and turns itself off later.

I found
http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...l+switch+timer

Any better/cheaper suggestions?

I don't want an activity sensor on the light.
I don't want a dusk-to-dawn sensor on the light.

Cheers
Dave R

Al Reynolds

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote:
looking to fit a timer so the outside light comes on to give me light when
come home and turns itself off later.

I found
http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...l+switch+timer

Any better/cheaper suggestions?

I found none cheaper. I installed one of these to contol
my outside lighting circuit, but found problems when I
included a light sensor in the circuit because the electronics
in the switch and the electronics in the light sensor seemed
to have problems with each other. In the end I changed
it for one with a relay in (like a central heating timer).

It will definitely only control normal filament bulbs up to
400W and it won't do low-voltage or compact fluorescent
lighting - I tried both.

Al

David W.E. Roberts

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
o.uk...
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote:
looking to fit a timer so the outside light comes on to give me light

when
come home and turns itself off later.

I found
http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...l+switch+timer

Any better/cheaper suggestions?

I found none cheaper. I installed one of these to contol
my outside lighting circuit, but found problems when I
included a light sensor in the circuit because the electronics
in the switch and the electronics in the light sensor seemed
to have problems with each other. In the end I changed
it for one with a relay in (like a central heating timer).

It will definitely only control normal filament bulbs up to
400W and it won't do low-voltage or compact fluorescent
lighting - I tried both.

Thank you for the comprehensive information.

I had better check what bulb is in the light.

The one you changed to - is it a normal 'wall box' timer as advertised in
the national press :-)
Will it work with a two way switch?
I have one switch in the hall and one in the garage.

Cheers
Dave R

Al Reynolds

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote:
Thank you for the comprehensive information.

I had better check what bulb is in the light.

The one you changed to - is it a normal 'wall box' timer as advertised in
the national press :-)
Will it work with a two way switch?
I have one switch in the hall and one in the garage.

Greenbrook T23H
http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/pdf/T23H.pdf for instructions

I don't think it does two-way switching I'm afraid.
I couldn't get my head around two-way switching
with a timer anyway - thought about it for ages and
couldn't see how it would work. My inclination would
be to have a timer on the supply to the circuit, and use
normal two-way switches, but even this wouldn't
guarantee the correct outcome, only that the lights
could only be on at certain times.

Al

Cheers
Dave R