Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Work clothing, wax cotton jacket, in store?

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a walk-in place to buy a cheap wax cotton jacket
for our daughter and could do with some help please.

I can find plenty of places that stock Barbour or Musto but both are
way too expensive (even second user on eBay!).

Any places come to mind (Nth London / Essex / Herts etc) that you
*know* (please) stock a load of the cheaper style wax cotton (sub 50
quid, ideally £15) in the smaller / women's sizes. Generally a mans
'small' is too big.

She's about a 12-14 / 36" but we (she g) really does need to be
able to try stuff on, 'girls' rolls eyes ;-)

We have tried / phoned / been to several gun shops, agricultural
suppliers, outdoor / Army surplus places etc and whist we have got
close, no luck so far.

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. It's for use when she's doing her tree surgery groundwork /
planting in the winter and *anything* is likely to get lacerated on
the truck / chipper / thorns / tools etc, hence cheap / disposable
(but not a Kagool apparently) ;-)

p.p.s. I'm pretty sure we have seen and bought such things in the past
as Game Fairs (no good to us right now of course). :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:07:59 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

I believe that I saw some in my local Lidl a few days ago, so worth a look
if you've got one near you.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:56:33 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

I believe that I saw some in my local Lidl a few days ago, so worth a look
if you've got one near you.

We have (ish) and we will, thanks! ;-)

makes calls

Hmm, it looks like one local store doesn't have any left in the
smaller sizes and the nice Lidl C/S lady said she will check out a
couple of other local(ish) branches and get back to me. ;-)

Thanks, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Â*It's for use when she's doing her tree surgery groundwork /
planting in the winter and anything is likely to get lacerated on
the truck / chipper / thorns / tools etc, hence cheap / disposable

Waxed cotton goes stiff when it's wet, its often too heavy for working in.
My jacket of choice in the rain is a nifty dark blue and orange one with hi
vis stripes with the royal mail logo over the breast pocket removed ;-).

AJH

PS sorry about e-mail reply, I hit the wrong button
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:

My jacket of choice in the rain is a nifty dark blue and orange one with hi
vis stripes with the royal mail logo over the breast pocket removed ;-).

Imported from Amsterdam?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:14:36 +0000, andrew
wrote:

T i m wrote:

*It's for use when she's doing her tree surgery groundwork /
planting in the winter and anything is likely to get lacerated on
the truck / chipper / thorns / tools etc, hence cheap / disposable

Waxed cotton goes stiff when it's wet, its often too heavy for working in.
My jacket of choice in the rain is a nifty dark blue and orange one with hi
vis stripes with the royal mail logo over the breast pocket removed ;-).

AJH

What's wrong with a good old boiler suit . Not necessarily orange lest
folk think you have escaped from Guantamo Bay .:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes

Hmm, it looks like one local store doesn't have any left in the
smaller sizes and the nice Lidl C/S lady said she will check out a
couple of other local(ish) branches and get back to me. ;-)

I really like the Dickies jackets that I bought 2 of last year when
Wickes had them on offer. They are not waxed cotton, but look similar
and I'm really impressed with the design, particularly of the various
pockets (eg combined sideways for warming hands as well as vertical
sealable for carrying junk).
I think the offer price was very good, and think I've been horrified by
the full price, but £30 would horrify me.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:40:43 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , T i m
writes

Hmm, it looks like one local store doesn't have any left in the
smaller sizes and the nice Lidl C/S lady said she will check out a
couple of other local(ish) branches and get back to me. ;-)

I really like the Dickies jackets that I bought 2 of last year when
Wickes had them on offer. They are not waxed cotton, but look similar
and I'm really impressed with the design, particularly of the various
pockets (eg combined sideways for warming hands as well as vertical
sealable for carrying junk).
I think the offer price was very good, and think I've been horrified by
the full price, but £30 would horrify me.

£30 would horrify you? ..Just as well you are not wanting a fishing
jacket then :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:18:21 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

andrew wrote:

My jacket of choice in the rain is a nifty dark blue and orange one with hi
vis stripes with the royal mail logo over the breast pocket removed ;-).

Imported from Amsterdam?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Strange isn't it how something catches the imagination / market etc.

At a tenner it could be considered disposable, was probably designed
well (they probably had them made to PO spec?) and good visibility if
stood under a tree etc, oh and Andrew recommends them. Perfect! ;-)

Right, what's the carriage cost from Holland .....

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

andrew wrote:

My jacket of choice in the rain is a nifty dark blue and orange one with
hi vis stripes with the royal mail logo over the breast pocket removed
;-).

Imported from Amsterdam?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

That's the one but mine came from one of my dad's lodgers. It's a very
practical work jacket with a net ventilation layer, other work jackets are
too hot and boiler suits both hot and restricting, plus of course the
trousers are already several layers of nylon flock thick.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:40:43 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , T i m
writes

Hmm, it looks like one local store doesn't have any left in the
smaller sizes and the nice Lidl C/S lady said she will check out a
couple of other local(ish) branches and get back to me. ;-)

I really like the Dickies jackets that I bought 2 of last year when
Wickes had them on offer. They are not waxed cotton, but look similar
and I'm really impressed with the design, particularly of the various
pockets (eg combined sideways for warming hands as well as vertical
sealable for carrying junk).
I think the offer price was very good, and think I've been horrified by
the full price, but £30 would horrify me.

;-)

So are they supposed to be waterproof please Bill?

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:31:30 +0000, andrew
wrote:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

That's the one but mine came from one of my dad's lodgers. It's a very
practical work jacket with a net ventilation layer, other work jackets are
too hot and boiler suits both hot and restricting, plus of course the
trousers are already several layers of nylon flock thick.

Being someone who always seems cold she actually enjoys wearing her
PPE trousers. ;-)

I'm not sure she will think the same way in the summer though!

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a walk-in place to buy a cheap wax cotton jacket
for our daughter and could do with some help please.

I can find plenty of places that stock Barbour or Musto but both are
way too expensive (even second user on eBay!).

Any places come to mind (Nth London / Essex / Herts etc) that you
*know* (please) stock a load of the cheaper style wax cotton (sub 50
quid, ideally £15) in the smaller / women's sizes. Generally a mans
'small' is too big.

Think I saw some in Matalan. Makro also had some.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:10:17 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a walk-in place to buy a cheap wax cotton jacket
for our daughter and could do with some help please.

I can find plenty of places that stock Barbour or Musto but both are
way too expensive (even second user on eBay!).

Any places come to mind (Nth London / Essex / Herts etc) that you
*know* (please) stock a load of the cheaper style wax cotton (sub 50
quid, ideally £15) in the smaller / women's sizes. Generally a mans
'small' is too big.

Think I saw some in Matalan. Makro also had some.

Ah, right, Mum's got a Makro card ... ;-)

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:40:43 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , T i m
writes

Hmm, it looks like one local store doesn't have any left in the
smaller sizes and the nice Lidl C/S lady said she will check out a
couple of other local(ish) branches and get back to me. ;-)

I really like the Dickies jackets that I bought 2 of last year when
Wickes had them on offer. They are not waxed cotton, but look similar
and I'm really impressed with the design, particularly of the various
pockets (eg combined sideways for warming hands as well as vertical
sealable for carrying junk).
I think the offer price was very good, and think I've been horrified by
the full price, but £30 would horrify me.

;-)

So are they supposed to be waterproof please Bill?

I think they were listed as at least showerproof, but can't remember. A
practical example is that we recently had some days of dreadful weather
- wind and rain - where we had to stand about making a decision about
whether to cancel a crane for some boat lifts. (We did). People in full
sailing gear were fine, this Dickies coat was fine, but I had to dry out
my standard trousers and shoes..

I think their range in Wickes is well worth a look, although I have no
idea of the current price. I really must look out for some leggings!
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:08:37 +0000, T i m wrote:

Ah, right, Mum's got a Makro card ... ;-)

Do you /have/ to have a card to buy things there? Or does it just give you some
sort of discount?

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:06:17 GMT, Geo wrote:

Do you /have/ to have a card to buy things there? Or does it just give
you some sort of discount?

You can't get in without having your card swiped. CostCo just visually
check your card as you enter. I believe a card holder can bring "guests"
in.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geo" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:08:37 +0000, T i m wrote:

Ah, right, Mum's got a Makro card ... ;-)

Do you /have/ to have a card to buy things there? Or does it just give you
some
sort of discount?

Notionally it's a trade warehouse - the apparent discount, in a lot of
cases, is the fact that the VAT isn't shown in their published prices though
they do have bargains from time to time.

You can get a trade card by showing that you are a trader - ISTR that they
want a letterhead and a couple of invoices as proof of trading.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterMcC wrote:
"Geo" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:08:37 +0000, T i m wrote:

Ah, right, Mum's got a Makro card ... ;-)

Do you /have/ to have a card to buy things there? Or does it just
give you some
sort of discount?

Notionally it's a trade warehouse - the apparent discount, in a lot of
cases, is the fact that the VAT isn't shown in their published prices
though they do have bargains from time to time.

You can get a trade card by showing that you are a trader - ISTR that
they want a letterhead and a couple of invoices as proof of trading.

Didn't with me. Goat a phone call one day asking if I wanted a card. I
said yes & it arrived a few days later. Odd, but handy.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 23:44:25 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
[...]

Hmmm, we popped in Wickes today and they only seem to stock L and XL
in most things. You were lucky to get a M in some?

She's about an XS in mans sizes. :-(

It was worth a look though so thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I believe that I saw some in my local Lidl a few days ago, so worth a look
if you've got one near you.

Update: No wax cotton in the 3 stores we rang nor the one we went in
today but we did come out with a £19.99 'Ski jacket' that at least
reports to be water / wind proof (and was fleece lined). It looked a
much better solution than the £25 thing we saw in Tesco last night and
the only one that fitted her there (12) had the inner mesh lining
sewed in 360 deg out of kilter! Putting your arm in the sleeve was
like putting your hand in a lobster pot!

We were offered it with 5% discount .. (great, not).

We nearly got to Mackro today but that's going to be next week now by
the looks of it (she's out doing her first tree felling on her Arb
course tomorrow, hence the need for a jacket).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I believe that I saw some in my local Lidl a few days ago, so worth a
look if you've got one near you.

Update: No wax cotton in the 3 stores we rang nor the one we went in
today but we did come out with a £19.99 'Ski jacket' that at least
reports to be water / wind proof (and was fleece lined). It looked a
much better solution than the £25 thing we saw in Tesco last night and
the only one that fitted her there (12) had the inner mesh lining sewed
in 360 deg out of kilter! Putting your arm in the sleeve was like
putting your hand in a lobster pot!

We were offered it with 5% discount .. (great, not).

We nearly got to Mackro today but that's going to be next week now by
the looks of it (she's out doing her first tree felling on her Arb
course tomorrow, hence the need for a jacket).

Cheers, T i m

A result of sorts at least!

Personally I would go for several layers - vest, shirt, woollen jumper +
light weight cagoule for the rain. Not very glamorous, but effective. Tree
felling can be very demanding.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:01:26 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

Update: No wax cotton in the 3 stores we rang nor the one we went in
today but we did come out with a £19.99 'Ski jacket' that at least
reports to be water / wind proof (and was fleece lined). It looked a
much better solution than the £25 thing we saw in Tesco last night and
the only one that fitted her there (12) had the inner mesh lining sewed
in 360 deg out of kilter! Putting your arm in the sleeve was like
putting your hand in a lobster pot!

We were offered it with 5% discount .. (great, not).

We nearly got to Mackro today but that's going to be next week now by
the looks of it (she's out doing her first tree felling on her Arb
course tomorrow, hence the need for a jacket).

Cheers, T i m

A result of sorts at least!

Indeed, and as it turned out a serviceable one.

Personally I would go for several layers - vest, shirt, woollen jumper +
light weight cagoule for the rain. Not very glamorous, but effective.

Indeed, and a system she seems to now agree is a practical one (and
exactly how she went out this morning).

Tree
felling can be very demanding.

It turned out she did shed a mid layer when actually felling her trees
and the jacket (and more importantly all the students, just [1]) are
in one piece (if not now interesting shades of green, brown and Biro
[2]) and she remained warm and dry. ;-)

I really don't think this particular jacked would have fared so well
if she was doing her normal 'apprentice' role of dragging brush to the
chipper and lumbering wood / tools and other stuff into the truck (the
other layer is quite soft / vulnerable). I'm still going to keep an
eye out for something 'tougher' and it will be for her to decide when
to where what etc.

Cheers, T i m.

[1] There is always one isn't there ... and she now knows to go to the
opposite side of the work area to him.

[2] Thanks to her instructor!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Pleased that you're both happy and safe.

For future reference you might consider looking at Army surplus stuff.
It's tough, hard-wearing and comfortable and if you take time you can get
new stuff rather than refurbished and of course smaller sizes are
available.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:43:39 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

[1] There is always one isn't there ... and she now knows to go to the
opposite side of the work area to him.

[2] Thanks to her instructor!

Pleased that you're both happy and safe.

Hey, I was helping a mate in the warm all day. ;-)

For future reference you might consider looking at Army surplus stuff.
It's tough, hard-wearing and comfortable and if you take time you can get
new stuff rather than refurbished and of course smaller sizes are
available.

We did actually try an AS place and she came away with an Italian army
heavy cotton jacket of some sort (that I have since proofed for her)
but it wasn't really suitable (I did try to tell her at the time but
.... ).

The (nearly [1]) ideal thing was a ripstop DPM jacket but they didn't
quite do a small enough one and it was apparently the same as her
college instructor wears so she couldn't possibly? (isn't it all
complicated).

We have a bit of time now though so hope to pin down that illusive
solution soon (I think they are felling again next Friday).

Cheers, T i m