Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making a wastebin bag clamp

Hi Chaps,

In their ineffable wisdom, the council here have decreed that no bags
should be used in their food recycling scheme, not even din tested fully
compostable ones or brown paper bags.... only newspaper

so why the post title? I hear you ask..

well, I have a food bin in the Kitchen (7ltrs volume) and I can fold
sheets of newspaper to line the bin reasonably well, but the top of the
newspaper always flops down after a few additions to the bin, and
doesn't really help when trying to keep the worst of the crud off the bin.

So I am looking to buy/make some sort of hinged or spring loaded
rectangular clamp which will fit inside the bin and newspaper and push
outwards from the inside to clamp the top of the paper to the bin so it
doesn't flop down.

plastic strip or wood would be probably ok or metal at a pinch.

anyone have any ideas where I might find one to buy, or suggestions for
construction?

any ideas gratefully considered

and I have written to the council telling them what idiots they are for
making it hard to actually carry out clean food recycling within the
home---If you have a food bin without a liner it gets stinky/greasy
pretty quickly.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
[...]

Thin bungie cord? You could tie it in a loop and stretch it over the
outside of the bin, over the paper that is folded over the rim of the bin.
Like a big rubber band.

Simple, but effective. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

Nice in the summer :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:27:08 +0000, Ian & Hilda Dedic
wrote:

Hi Chaps,

In their ineffable wisdom, the council here have decreed that no bags
should be used in their food recycling scheme, not even din tested fully
compostable ones or brown paper bags.... only newspaper

so why the post title? I hear you ask..

well, I have a food bin in the Kitchen (7ltrs volume) and I can fold
sheets of newspaper to line the bin reasonably well, but the top of the
newspaper always flops down after a few additions to the bin, and
doesn't really help when trying to keep the worst of the crud off the bin.

Wrap items in a sheet of paper (learn the chippy wrap) and put them in
the bin. Empty into the outside bin.
Reduce the amount of food you waste and then you don't have to worry
about it.

Ours came with some nice bags that are easy to use but way too
expensive to buy, so a lot of the time I use newspaper.

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
[...]

Ah but if it were that easy I'd have done that ;-)

the newspaper sheets don't come up so far as to overlap the edge, which
is why I have the flop problem.

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Wrap items in a sheet of paper (learn the chippy wrap) and put them in
the bin. Empty into the outside bin.
Reduce the amount of food you waste and then you don't have to worry
about it.

Ours came with some nice bags that are easy to use but way too
expensive to buy, so a lot of the time I use newspaper.

yes, but if you are cooking in the kitchen and want to scrape your
peelings straight into the bin you haven't got time to be mucking about
individually wrapping each item in newspaper, and indeed I only have one
freebie local newspaper per week to use, I'm not going to shell out for
a newspaper so I can waste time playing origami wrapping my onion skins!

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
mogga wrote:

Wrap items in a sheet of paper (learn the chippy wrap) and put them in
the bin. Empty into the outside bin.
Reduce the amount of food you waste and then you don't have to worry
about it.

Ours came with some nice bags that are easy to use but way too
expensive to buy, so a lot of the time I use newspaper.

yes, but if you are cooking in the kitchen and want to scrape your
peelings straight into the bin you haven't got time to be mucking about
individually wrapping each item in newspaper, and indeed I only have one
freebie local newspaper per week to use, I'm not going to shell out for
a newspaper so I can waste time playing origami wrapping my onion skins!

dedics

Too right! (Partner's comment.)

I think you should:

a) buy Sainsbury 'no need to peel' carrots;
b) ensure everything else is frozen, tinned,
ready-peeled-and-cored-in-plastic-container, dried, or somehow ready to
cook/eat;
c) ask for a larger bin for plastic, cans, etc.

Obviously that would reduce your compostable waste right down to what
will easily fit within one freebie paper.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Do you have a garden ? If so them compost it yourself,do your garden
some good,help your plants and keep the Council out of it altogether .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
BigWallop wrote:
[...]

Dump your tabloid and buy the Torygraph instead!?

Howsabout bulldog clips round the top edge?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

In their ineffable wisdom, the council here have decreed that no bags
should be used in their food recycling scheme, not even din tested fully
compostable ones or brown paper bags.... only newspaper

So your kitchen bin then gets emptied into a big bin outside? or what?
If so, then why not just use ordinary binbags inside the kitchen bin,
empty these bags into your outside bin and drop the dirty bags into the
standard bin outside?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

In their ineffable wisdom, the council here have decreed that no bags
should be used in their food recycling scheme, not even din tested
fully compostable ones or brown paper bags.... only newspaper

So your kitchen bin then gets emptied into a big bin outside? or what?
If so, then why not just use ordinary binbags inside the kitchen bin,
empty these bags into your outside bin and drop the dirty bags into the
standard bin outside?

David

no, there's a special food only recycling bin which is kept outside,
and is also prone to disgusting stinkiness (especially in the summer) if
not lined with something. I just want to use compostable bin liners and
the council won't take the food rubbish if I do.

Thus trying to find an effective way of keeping a newspaper lining open
so the bin is useable. and I can just decant the contents of the kitchen
bit into the outside food bin.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
mogga wrote:

[...]

yes but it's not how I want to live thanks....

I actually use my kitchen to cook real food for the family....

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have 4 or 5 compost heaps already full of garden waste, but the food
recycling takes meat and bone scraps, which if I put these on our
compost heap would just encourage the rats round here to think it's
their larder.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Dump your tabloid and buy the Torygraph instead!?

Howsabout bulldog clips round the top edge?

David

not a bad Idea. maybe some of those tablecloth clips for garden
furniture might do the trick!

thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:54:27 +0000, Ian & Hilda Dedic

wrote:

[...]

No need to speak of your neighbours that way .:-)

What a friggin' palaver .I hope they don't start that around here
where it's all tenements with 8 homes to a close .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

[...]

The problem is the rectangular shape - if it was circular you could use
something like a couple of pipe bending springs to act as an inner collar to
hold the paper up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

[...]

Would drawing board clips, plus strategic positioning of some plastic rulers
(washable!) do the trick? You could put the rulers vertically in the bin,
rather than horizontally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:51:41 +0000, Ian & Hilda Dedic
wrote:

[...]

Do you have a garden to have a compost bin? If I had to put all the
veg peelings in the green waste it'd drive me mad. As is it I have a
large tub on the side big enough to take a days peelings and them
empty it into the compost bin every day.

I also only get one freebie paper a week. I wouldn't want to waste it
either else I'd have to buy one to light the fire with.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

any ideas gratefully considered

Say ******** to the whole thing and put your food rubbish in the rubbish
bin?

I don't mind doing my bit to keep recyclable stuff separate, but take it
too far with the picky regulations and I won't bother. I'm paying them
over £100 a month for little more than waste-disposal, I don't feel the
need to do half the job for them.

To their credit, my local council have been pretty reasonable on this
score compared to some places.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian & Hilda Dedic
writes
wrote:
Do you have a garden ? If so them compost it yourself,do your
garden
some good,help your plants and keep the Council out of it altogether .

I have 4 or 5 compost heaps already full of garden waste, but the food
recycling takes meat and bone scraps, which if I put these on our
compost heap would just encourage the rats round here to think it's
their larder.

so why not put the peelings etc. you mentioned on the compost, that just
leaves meaty scraps and the end of a meal which could all be just
scraped into a couple of sheets of paper, wrapped and binned
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Not sure I exactly get the picture, but would something like those
plastic edge strips for holding sheets of paper together at the spine
be any use?

something like

http://www.ryman.co.uk/Ryman-7mm-Sli...p-04251215.asp

HTH
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
mogga wrote:

[...]

How about a waste disposal unit in the sink?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 5:45*pm, Chewbacca wrote:
Rod wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
mogga wrote:

[...]

How about a waste disposal unit in the sink?- Hide quoted text -

We use milk in waxed paper cartons at about the same rate as we have
peelings and other scraps suitable for the compost heap. So an empty
milk carton is kept next to the sink. When near full the carton top is
folded over again and it is placed just outside the sliding glass
doors of the family room, Next time someone steps outside they empty
the one two or three (whatever) cartons into the composter and throw
the now empty cartons into the burning barrel.
Next time the barrel is lit the lightly waxed milk cartons provide a
good non damp base for the fire.
A bag is kept looped around back of a kitchen chair into which all
paper and plastic wrappings go. Have just opened the mail for example
and at least 30% of that is disposed of to be burned. (Also for
security of personal information!)
Also some incredibly and unnecessarily large amounts of plastic
wrappings (one buys four AA batteries and the plastic-cardboard
packaging takes a knife or scissors to open!).
However there is not a lot of it. It's all combustible and is used to
start the wood stove down in the basement workshop which burns scrap
wood. Actual trash/garbage is about one bag every three to four weeks.
We do not yet have any kerbside recycling! Which however might be very
expensive to implement in this province, the size of England plus
Wales with a population of only 500,000 and over 1000 miles from main
North American population centres!
Items that are recycled are steel and other metals. Some plastics and
some paper that goes to wood/paper pulp mills (but demand for that is
down).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Ian & Hilda Dedic formulated :
[...]

I don't know if this might help....

For caravan use, you can buy a gadget onto which you can hook onto it
an ordinary carrier bag as given away by the likes of Tesco for your
shopping. Basically reusing the bags for waste. They are made from two
strips of plastic, hinged together at the ends, which spring closed
when you let go, one strip fixes onto the back of a cupboard door.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

yes that's the sort of thing I was thinking of any idea what it's called
or where might stock it?

I'm going with the drawing board clip idea at the moment, we'll see if
that pans out

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi Chaps,

In their ineffable wisdom, the council here have decreed that no bags
should be used in their food recycling scheme, not even din tested fully
compostable ones or brown paper bags.... only newspaper

Stuff the council. Compost what you can in your garden compost bins,
and dump the rest to landfill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:09:11 +0000, chris French
wrote:

so why not put the peelings etc. you mentioned on the compost, that just
leaves meaty scraps and the end of a meal which could all be just
scraped into a couple of sheets of paper, wrapped and binned

Meaty scraps should only be placed in landfill, if the council is
advocating placing them for mass composting then they need their heads
examining.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

Meaty scraps should only be placed in landfill, if the council is
advocating placing them for mass composting then they need their heads
examining.

I believe there is a high-temperature process that yields useful compost
and can handle meat and bones. It can really only be accomplished
industrially but if such a plant is where the council is sending their
composting scraps then all will be fine.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Pete Verdon wrote:
Mike wrote:

Meaty scraps should only be placed in landfill, if the council is
advocating placing them for mass composting then they need their heads
examining.

I believe there is a high-temperature process that yields useful compost
and can handle meat and bones. It can really only be accomplished
industrially but if such a plant is where the council is sending their
composting scraps then all will be fine.

Pete

"In Vessel Composting Facility

Composting is classified as a waste recovery operation. The waste
management licence ensures that the composting of waste is carried out
in a way which protects the environment and human health. Composting is
carried out with the aim of producing a substance (soil
improver/compost) which is no longer waste.

The In Vessel Composting Facility at High Heavens has been approved by
Defra under the Animal By-Product Regulations 2005 (ABPR), allowing
catering and household waste which contains meat to be composted."

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/index.jsp?contentid=-850497794

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The In Vessel Composting Facility at High Heavens

Who says bureaucrats don't have sense of humour.....

has been approved by
Defra under the Animal By-Product Regulations 2005 (ABPR), allowing
catering and household waste which contains meat to be composted."

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/index.jsp?contentid=-850497794

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

S Viemeister wrote:
Rod wrote:
The In Vessel Composting Facility at High Heavens

Who says bureaucrats don't have sense of humour.....

has been approved by Defra under the Animal By-Product Regulations
2005 (ABPR), allowing catering and household waste which contains meat
to be composted."

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/index.jsp?contentid=-850497794

Indeed, 'tis a fortuitous name for a rubbish dump. :-) But I *think* it
is historic and nothing to do with current usage, sad to say. :-(

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

plastic strip or wood would be probably ok or metal at a pinch.

anyone have any ideas where I might find one to buy, or suggestions for
construction?

Ever seen those folding in-car sunscreen thingies that coil up in a bag,
then spring out to four times the size when you let them go? Cut the
screen cloth out and you have a springy plastic hoop which will fit the
inside of the bin, holding itself up as well as the paper.
--

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For caravan use, you can buy a gadget onto which you can hook onto it an
ordinary carrier bag as given away by the likes of Tesco for your
shopping. Basically reusing the bags for waste. They are made from two
strips of plastic, hinged together at the ends, which spring closed when
you let go, one strip fixes onto the back of a cupboard door.

yes that's the sort of thing I was thinking of any idea what it's called
or where might stock it?

Try this one Ian

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/1725.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

plastic strip or wood would be probably ok or metal at a pinch.

anyone have any ideas where I might find one to buy, or suggestions
for construction?

Ever seen those folding in-car sunscreen thingies that coil up in a bag,
then spring out to four times the size when you let them go? Cut the
screen cloth out and you have a springy plastic hoop which will fit the
inside of the bin, holding itself up as well as the paper.

Brilliant!

I knew someone out there would have seen something!

That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of but couldn't remember
where I had come across it before.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote on 27/11/2008 :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

We mislaid ours, so bought a replacement last year from Towsure - but I
looked on their website last night and could not see them. Try a
caravan and camping dealer.