Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling problems (my poor arm)

I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for
some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for
some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter smith" wrote in message
Peter smith wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled in
and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!! It
would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away a
little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for some
reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)

Phew, glad you explained the last bit.
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled in
and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!! It
would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away a
little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for some
reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)

Are you sure hubby didn't put a blunt drill in just to wind you up? Either
that or you hit something really hard. What are you drilling? brick, stone
?? Clue = what colour dust came out of the hole?
A little more info would be helpful.
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter smith" wrote in message
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for
some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

Hey Laura, you need to push against the drill to make holes in stone or
brickwork. You can't just hold the drill pistol and let it bang against the
wall.

You might also have hit a steel pillar hidden inside the plaster lining.
That wouldn't be easy to make a hole through with a masonry drill bit.

Not being there to see what or where you were drilling, I can't make
judgement on what it actually was. But the pointers above might give you
some idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Peter smith wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped
away a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in
as per instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp
to get a straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from
laughter for some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up
but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just
do the painting lol.

(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)

Laura,

I was making no assumptions... :-)

1 Is the drill going clockwise? (I.e. not in reverse.)

2 Are you pushing the drill against the wall, firmly?

3 Are you sure you are not trying to drill into something like metal
conduit, or a gas or water pipe?

4 Has Peter got an SDS drill somewhere?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
[...]

Newish looking drill bit The colour is osme kind og dirty grey
looking dust ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
[...]

lol .. I was but it wasn't getting me far maybe I'm too weak lol.

You might also have hit a steel pillar hidden inside the plaster lining.
That wouldn't be easy to make a hole through with a masonry drill bit.

Ahhh

Not being there to see what or where you were drilling, I can't make
judgement on what it actually was. But the pointers above might give you
some idea.

I'm drilling above the sink about 30 inches I think to put one of those
rack for hanging pans off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:

Peter smith wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for
some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)

An alarm bell is ringing in my head.
Assuming you are in a "normal" house built of "normal" things like
brick with plaster over it then your description of drilling 1.5
inches then hitting a different texture sounds strange. Plaster is
normally softer than brick/block but it's usually not that thick so
you might find it easy to get through then hit a harder substrate but
not to 1.5 inches - less than an inch more like. Even then you should
still be able to make progress through the brick/block. The thing
which would really mess you up and my first reaction if it happened to
me would be metal. If you have hit metal STOP. Now find out what the
metal is before going any further.
Do you (or rather does he) have a pipe/cable finder - a hand held
thing which you hold on the wall and it beeps or screams when it
detects something buried in the plaster? If so I'd use it. If not
I'd get one. Then use it.
Another trick is to have a good look around for electrical fittings.
You shouldn't drill directly above or horizontally level with them as
the cable has to get to them some how and there's a good chance you'll
hit it or the metal capping covering it.

Have you thought about why Peter hasn't done the job himself? (Other
than plain lazyness of course!) Generally when I put off a job like
that it's because there's a snag of some sort which I haven't yet got
my head round. Like maybe I suspect there are pipes or cables under
there but I'm not sure...

Anyway, good luck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
[...]

You've hit a burnt brick, so unless you are built like Geoff Capes, get a
SDS drill, or failing that, site the shelf somewhere else.....just moving it
up or down 3 inches might be enough

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying.
Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

Are you using a masonry bit ?

The shape at the end of the drill bit itself is different - drills for
steel are sort of spiralled and ground to have a sharp edge at the
end, whereas a masonry bit has a spiral with a blob of metal at the
end that takes the strain of the hammering.

Not the best of pictures, but...

www.lsdinc.com/images/products/masonry_bit.jpg

and for steel (and often used for wood)...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)

We believe you ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
[...]

Looking from behind the drill.

2 Are you pushing the drill against the wall, firmly?

It isn't usual to have bricks that are so hard as to not be able to
drill them on the inside of a house, but it is not unknown.

3 Are you sure you are not trying to drill into something like metal
conduit, or a gas or water pipe?

If that was the case, the drill bit would tend to wander unless you hit
the pipe dead center. Even then, the drill bit would wander, unless you
hit something flat, such as the old cable covers.

Are you drilling within a horizontal, or vertical direction of an
existing socket, light switch, power switch, or anything else that might
give you a clue as to the position of some cabling?

Try drilling another exploratory hole within an angle of 45 degrees and
2 inches (5 cm) from the first one.

Hole o
o hole b

4 Has Peter got an SDS drill somewhere?

With a gas pipe in the way?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dry lining adhesive @ 18mm + plasterboard @ 12mm + plaster @ 2mm = 32mm

still be able to make progress through the brick/block. The thing
which would really mess you up and my first reaction if it happened to
me would be metal. If you have hit metal STOP. Now find out what the
metal is before going any further.

If she'd hit steel with a drill on hammer, the entire street would have
known about it, copper wouldn't have put up any kind of fight and she'd be
asking about plumbers.

Do you (or rather does he) have a pipe/cable finder - a hand held
thing which you hold on the wall and it beeps or screams when it
detects something buried in the plaster? If so I'd use it. If not
I'd get one. Then use it.
Another trick is to have a good look around for electrical fittings.
You shouldn't drill directly above or horizontally level with them as
the cable has to get to them some how and there's a good chance you'll
hit it or the metal capping covering it.

The metal capping used for electrical cables wouldn't stop a drill bit, it's
there to protect the cable from the plaster, not to protect the numpty from
blowing himself up, you can push a drawing pin straight through it.

Have you thought about why Peter hasn't done the job himself? (Other
than plain lazyness of course!) Generally when I put off a job like
that it's because there's a snag of some sort which I haven't yet got
my head round. Like maybe I suspect there are pipes or cables under
there but I'm not sure...

Anyway, good luck.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave wrote:
Rod wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
[...]

Indeed, a drill will wander if you are trying to bore into a pipe or
other convex metal object. But, with only a little bit of 'push'
available from Laura, it probably won't move much.

I sort of assumed that if Laura asked Peter for his SDS, he might just
think of the gas pipe possibility one before passing the machine over to
Laura. I'd guess most SDS owners have some experience.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
[...]

I still don't know what is 30 inches above you sink, but I suspect you are
hitting metal of some sort. It could be a protective covering over live
cables to stop anyone drilling through them, or a lintel or sill around the
window. It might even be a gas or water pipe.

Have you checked that the drill is turning in the correct direction? The
bit should be turning clockwise when it's going into the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan
rack thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit,
drilled in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like
mutant rock!!! It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action
and it chipped away a little more but not no where near enough to put
a raw plug in as per instructions saying. PArtner is too busy
laughing at my attemtp to get a straight answer out of him, I think
he passed oput from laughter for some reason lol... I did ask him for
months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just
do the painting lol.

(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)

Laura,

Hiya Rod

I was making no assumptions... :-)

1 Is the drill going clockwise? (I.e. not in reverse.)

Definitely going clockwise its a bit old and not fancy lol.

2 Are you pushing the drill against the wall, firmly?

I was pushing it quite firmly with all my weight all 10 stone of it and
my weakling arms, but wasn't gettig to far. I think it needs a mans
power to do it as I am weak

3 Are you sure you are not trying to drill into something like metal
conduit, or a gas or water pipe?

I hope not! all the water pipes run under the sink and gas erm.. no
idea

4 Has Peter got an SDS drill somewhere?

I have absolutely no idea and whever I mention drilling me laugh so I
give up for now with talking to him lol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
[...]

There was a bit of a burning smell when I put some force into the hammer
action drilling, did I burn something I guess ?

I'm guessing this sds drilling is a better more powerful drill ?

thanks for all this help you guys been helpful
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 25, 9:22*pm, Peter smith
wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for
some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

1. The first section was most likely plaster. Pinkish dust.
2. You have either hit the brick and the drill is blunt.
3. You have run into steel like that covering cables. Check you have
no power sockets above or below where you are drilling.
4. Try drilling the hole for the other mounting and see how that goes.
If it is the same the drill is most likely blunt. For walls use hammer
action
all the time. Unless just starting it off. Much easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:

I'm drilling above the sink about 30 inches I think to put one of
those rack for hanging pans off.

Is your kitchen an extension or is it upstairs?
What I'm asking is, is there a roof above your kitchen and not another
floor?

30 inches up from the sink makes it about 5 feet from the floor, or about 2
feet down from the roof, if there is one, if there is, the chances are
you've hit a roof tie - a thick metal strap which is fixed to the wall and
to the roof timbers to prevent the roof disappearing in a storm

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
There was a bit of a burning smell when I put some force into the
hammer action drilling, did I burn something I guess ?

That will be the drill burning if you've hit a roof strap

I'm guessing this sds drilling is a better more powerful drill ?

it still won't go through a roof strap

thanks for all this help you guys been helpful

NP

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

Calvin wrote:

[...]

I agree with your sums on the various layers - I hadn't thought of
that but I can tell you from personal experience that some metal
capping can stop a masonary drill bit. I knew I was drilling very
close to cables - a real precision job - but I forgot to allow for the
flange of the capping, the bit that sticks out sideways and goes
against the wall. It acted much as Laura has described but add on the
effect of me swearing because I thought I'd got my sums wrong and
drilled into the cappinga bove the cable.

One other thing I've not seen metioned by others is to check with the
OP that it's not simply that the battery powered drill is running low
on charge. If you're not experienced with a cordless drill that might
go un-noticed and could well give the effect, especially if she's just
got to the brick layer.

Another trick which might help is to start with the smallest drill bit
and work up to the required size. It's generally not good form to
drill a pilot hole in this way in masonary but if you're stuck with a
crappy underpowered drill it can help to reduce the load to something
the drill can cope with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

maybe peter wants an sds drill for crimbo?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote :
The shape at the end of the drill bit itself is different - drills for
steel are sort of spiralled and ground to have a sharp edge at the
end, whereas a masonry bit has a spiral with a blob of metal at the
end that takes the strain of the hammering.

Not the best of pictures, but...

www.lsdinc.com/images/products/masonry_bit.jpg

The masonry types have a separate tip brazed in, the tip looks a little
like a spear.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
maybe peter wants an sds drill for crimbo?

YES !!!!! I think you've hit the nail on the head. :-)

You haven't drilled the hole on the wall though. That still seems to be
causing problems. lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Colin Wilson wrote :
The shape at the end of the drill bit itself is different - drills for
steel are sort of spiralled and ground to have a sharp edge at the
end, whereas a masonry bit has a spiral with a blob of metal at the
end that takes the strain of the hammering.

Not the best of pictures, but...

www.lsdinc.com/images/products/masonry_bit.jpg

The masonry types have a separate tip brazed in, the tip looks a little
like a spear.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

That's what's wrong !!!! She's using it in the drill pistol, when she
should be throwing it at the wall. :-)

(sorry, but the urge just crept up and grab me from behind. must fight
harder against them. although the screaming has stopped now.) lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
maybe peter wants an sds drill for crimbo?

That sounds a very good idea!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:

I'm guessing this sds drilling is a better more powerful drill ?

Much better for hard masonry:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sds.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Peter smith wrote:

I'm guessing this sds drilling is a better more powerful drill ?

Much better for hard masonry:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sds.htm

Cheers,

John.

and one of these
http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat...DB10DL&ID=6278
to tighten the screws on the big wooden box.

I know the guys who calculates the mixture of smelly stuff that is added to
Natural Gas. He don't half get some funny looks when someone smells a gas
leak and he say "I did that". :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 25 Nov, 21:22, Peter smith
wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for
some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

In my kitchen, I have two gas pipes and two metal capped power cables
running under the plaster and I've managed to hit them all! The good
news is that a masonry bit doesn't make any serious progress into any
of them so, although you wind up with half a hole that you can't use,
you don't set fire to the house! I would check carefully before
trying too hard to put the shelf in exactly that place.....

I'm glad to hear you have such a supportive and sympathetic
partner ...........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMM" wrote in message
On 25 Nov, 21:22, Peter smith
wrote:
[...]

I was thrown off a step ladder when drilling through the top of a wooden
door frame. No one had told me that the idiot of the house.........sorry,
man of the house had used 10 mm Twin and Earth cable to connect a separate
consumer unit in his garage. His installation only had the main 100Amp fuse
on it, because he'd taken his cable directly from the mains supply head to
his house. Trust me to hit the live conductor and make an earth of myself.
I didn't even feel it. In fact, I couldn't feel anything for weeks
afterwards. :-)

When he saw what had happened, and had sworn at him for about five minutes,
he told me he'd asked the guy from the electricity board if it was alright
to do it like that and was told it would be fine, as no one would be able to
touch it above the door frame.

I was only installing an alarm system and didn't expect to find an
unprotected cable of that manner. At first I thought it was a cooker cable,
until he told me exactly what it was. It didn't even go through the meter.

The cheeky bugger asked if my insurance would cover the repair to the cable.
That's when I asked if his insurance would cover the fines he'd have to pay
for the theft of service he'd committed. He still thought he was in the
right, because the man from the electricity board had told him it was OK.

I have never did find that man from the leccy board, but when I do, there
will be flames, believe me. :-)

So, the moral of the story is, make sure you know what's in there, "before"
you start drilling any holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:31:38 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote :
The shape at the end of the drill bit itself is different - drills for
steel are sort of spiralled and ground to have a sharp edge at the
end, whereas a masonry bit has a spiral with a blob of metal at the
end that takes the strain of the hammering.

Not the best of pictures, but...

www.lsdinc.com/images/products/masonry_bit.jpg

The masonry types have a separate tip brazed in, the tip looks a little
like a spear.

zulus, thousands of em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:

I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan rack
thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary bit, drilled
in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was like mutant rock!!!
It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer action and it chipped away
a little more but not no where near enough to put a raw plug in as per
instructions saying. PArtner is too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a
straight answer out of him, I think he passed oput from laughter for
some reason lol... I did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not.

Any ideas what I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually just do
the painting lol.

Hammer drills can drill a lot of walls, but not all. You might there
fore need an SDS drill, SDS is a far more effective system.

Another maybe is you may have hit some steelwork inside the wall. If
so, dont try and drill through it, just move your holes a bit and try
there. This is the most likely explanation, so try another hole or 2.
But not 20

Hopefully you have a masonry bit rather than an HSS spiral bit. Here's
a good article on them:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....tle=Drill_Bits

Lastly just a chance you might have a junk quality bit that died part
way through its first hole. It needs to still hahve the piece brazed
into the end thats wider than the main shaft of the thing.

Another drilling article:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....ing_Techniques

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
[...]

Is it a masonry drill bit though?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
[...]

I double checked its a multipurpose drill bit by bosch which says it can
drill through wood plastic brick etc and is silver and has a blueband
going around the whole of it making it look very cute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:

Is it a masonry drill bit though?

I double checked its a multipurpose drill bit by bosch which says it can
drill through wood plastic brick etc and is silver and has a blueband
going around the whole of it making it look very cute.

Those are usually very good at masonry - especially when new. Even a
normal hammer drill will make some progress in hard brick with one of
those in it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"GMM" wrote in message
On 25 Nov, 21:22, Peter smith
wrote:
[...]

With a lot of houses there's no way to know. A more sensible approach
would be safer drilling practices, ie not touching any metal part of
the drill while drilling.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter smith wrote:
Is it a masonry drill bit though?

I double checked its a multipurpose drill bit by bosch which says it can
drill through wood plastic brick etc and is silver and has a blueband
going around the whole of it making it look very cute.

They'll drill most bricks apart from very hard ones. Do you know what type
you were drilling? Assuming they were bricks?

If it was sharp, of course. And you used a low speed. High speed and not
enough pressure will blunt them quite quickly.

Basically you can't use too much pressure or too low a speed. Pressure is
produced by body weight rather than strength. And can be more difficult
above say waist height.

But as others have said with Xmas coming up get an SDS drill. They don't
rely on pressure from you anything like as much.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I double checked its a multipurpose drill bit by bosch which says it
can drill through wood plastic brick etc and is silver and has a
blueband going around the whole of it making it look very cute.

Those are usually very good at masonry - especially when new. Even a
normal hammer drill will make some progress in hard brick with one of
those in it.

They work pretty well into London stocks without hammer action at all. Use
them in my cordless if I can't be bothered getting a proper drill out. ;-)

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.