Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter smith Peter smith is offline

Default Drilling problems (my poor arm)

Phil L wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Peter smith" wrote in message
Peter smith wrote:
I thought I'd grab partners drill and have a go at putting my pan
rack thingy up. OK its a normal drill, and I put in a masonary
bit, drilled in and it went ok for about 1.5 inches then it was
like mutant rock!!! It would not budge!! .. SO I put it on hammer
action and it chipped away a little more but not no where near
enough to put a raw plug in as per instructions saying. PArtner is
too busy laughing at my attemtp to get a straight answer out of
him, I think he passed oput from laughter for some reason lol... I
did ask him for months ot put it up but hes has not. Any ideas what
I''m doing wrong ?

... be gentle am a bit wet behind the ears with DIY I usually
just do the painting lol.
(this is hubbys computer so my names Laura)

Are you sure hubby didn't put a blunt drill in just to wind you up?
Either that or you hit something really hard. What are you
drilling? brick, stone ?? Clue = what colour dust came out of the
hole? A little more info would be helpful.
Dave.

Newish looking drill bit The colour is osme kind og dirty grey
looking dust ?

You've hit a burnt brick, so unless you are built like Geoff Capes, get a
SDS drill, or failing that, site the shelf somewhere else.....just moving it
up or down 3 inches might be enough

There was a bit of a burning smell when I put some force into the hammer
action drilling, did I burn something I guess ?

I'm guessing this sds drilling is a better more powerful drill ?

thanks for all this help you guys been helpful