Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default outdoor temperature indoor thermostat

I'm doing a job where the customer wants underfloor heating in the kitchen
but the heatloss will require more than the UFH can provide, so I'm going
to put in a plinth/kickspace heater as well. Since the latter will only be
needed during the coldest times of the year it occurred to me to have it
on a thermostat that senses the outside temperature. Ideally the
thermostat itself should be indoors, so I want one with a
weatherproof(able) remote sensor.

I don't recall seeing such a beast anywhere so before I start butchering
electronic 'stats does anyone know of one off-the-shelf?

Or have a better idea for how to control this setup, that I haven't
thought of? :-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

This sig intentionally left blank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH was thinking very hard :
I'm doing a job where the customer wants underfloor heating in the kitchen
but the heatloss will require more than the UFH can provide, so I'm going
to put in a plinth/kickspace heater as well. Since the latter will only be
needed during the coldest times of the year it occurred to me to have it
on a thermostat that senses the outside temperature. Ideally the
thermostat itself should be indoors, so I want one with a
weatherproof(able) remote sensor.

Surely it is the indoor temperature which matters?

Just put the plinth heater on a stat set a little below what you would
normally expect the UFH temperature to manage to maintain.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
YAPH was thinking very hard :
I'm doing a job where the customer wants underfloor heating in the

kitchen
but the heatloss will require more than the UFH can provide, so I'm

going
to put in a plinth/kickspace heater as well. Since the latter will only

be
needed during the coldest times of the year it occurred to me to have it
on a thermostat that senses the outside temperature. Ideally the
thermostat itself should be indoors, so I want one with a
weatherproof(able) remote sensor.

Surely it is the indoor temperature which matters?

Just put the plinth heater on a stat set a little below what you would
normally expect the UFH temperature to manage to maintain.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Can't you get more loops into the heating circuit? You could supplement the
UFH with a pipe around under the units, against the wall. Like a simple
heater pipe run from the same flow as the UFH but fixed against the walls of
the room. It would keep the wall space warm to reduce the losses through
them.

I don't think I've heard of a kitchen needing huge amounts of heating. Do
they use the room as a living space?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm doing a job where the customer wants underfloor heating in the kitchen
but the heatloss will require more than the UFH can provide, so I'm going
to put in a plinth/kickspace heater as well. Since the latter will only be
needed during the coldest times of the year it occurred to me to have it
on a thermostat that senses the outside temperature. Ideally the
thermostat itself should be indoors, so I want one with a
weatherproof(able) remote sensor.

I don't recall seeing such a beast anywhere so before I start butchering
electronic 'stats does anyone know of one off-the-shelf?

I'm sure I've seen a thermostat somewhere with a long (like a metre) fluid
filled thin metal tube with a bulb on the end, which is the sensor.

"Capillary tube thermostat" in google turns up the sort of thing I'm
thinking about, eg:

http://www.greenhouseandgarden.co.uk...stat-143-p.asp

Or have a better idea for how to control this setup, that I haven't
thought of? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , BigWallop
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
YAPH was thinking very hard :
[...]

Doesn't sound particularly efficient to be heating up the space
underneath the cupboards. Plinth heater sounds a good idea to me.

I don't think I've heard of a kitchen needing huge amounts of heating.

I have the kitchen heated just like any other room. The idea that you
don't need so much heating because of the heat from the stove seems a
bit out dated nowadays. Unless we are doing some baking, the cooker only
really gets used much to cook dinner most days. And the kitchen is used
for more that just cooking and washing up

Do
they use the room as a living space?

We certainly do, most meals are eaten at the table, kids sit at the
table doing crafts and stuff, I'll sit there with the laptop and a
cuppa, or doing paperwork etc.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
I'm doing a job where the customer wants underfloor heating in the kitchen
but the heatloss will require more than the UFH can provide, so I'm going
to put in a plinth/kickspace heater as well. Since the latter will only be
needed during the coldest times of the year it occurred to me to have it
on a thermostat that senses the outside temperature. Ideally the
thermostat itself should be indoors, so I want one with a
weatherproof(able) remote sensor.

I don't recall seeing such a beast anywhere so before I start butchering
electronic 'stats does anyone know of one off-the-shelf?

Or have a better idea for how to control this setup, that I haven't
thought of? :-)

You only need an outsde stat with very long time costant stuff like
UFH..where you need to anticipate a falling room temp befre it hppens,
and start getting heat in..

For a kickspace, use a motorised valve to isoltate completely, or just
switch the fan, and a normal stat in the kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
YAPH wrote:
I'm doing a job where the customer wants underfloor heating in the
kitchen but the heatloss will require more than the UFH can provide, so
I'm going to put in a plinth/kickspace heater as well. Since the latter
will only be needed during the coldest times of the year it occurred to
me to have it on a thermostat that senses the outside temperature.
Ideally the thermostat itself should be indoors, so I want one with a
weatherproof(able) remote sensor.

I don't recall seeing such a beast anywhere so before I start butchering
electronic 'stats does anyone know of one off-the-shelf?

Or have a better idea for how to control this setup, that I haven't
thought of? :-)

Weather compensated systems are rather more than just a stat with an
outdoor sensor. They are a computer.

Seems to me it's the UFH that should be weather compensated with the
additional heating being purely room temperature controlled.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:49:05 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Weather compensated systems are rather more than just a stat with an
outdoor sensor. They are a computer.

Agreed, and don't come cheap. I'd expect a UFH system to have that already
though 'cause of long time they take to affect the room temp compared to
ordinary rads.

Seems to me it's the UFH that should be weather compensated with the
additional heating being purely room temperature controlled.

Trouble is you then have it kicking in to heat the room when the UFH
hasn't caught up. The OP only wanted the the auxillary heating to kick in
when the UFH hasn't the capacity to maintain the room temp. Two different
things but from the comfort point of view waiting for the UFH to catch up
isn't very good...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Seems to me it's the UFH that should be weather compensated with the
additional heating being purely room temperature controlled.

Trouble is you then have it kicking in to heat the room when the UFH
hasn't caught up. The OP only wanted the the auxillary heating to kick
in when the UFH hasn't the capacity to maintain the room temp. Two
different things but from the comfort point of view waiting for the UFH
to catch up isn't very good...

I thought UHF systems would be on 24/7 in the winter. But if not, a
timeswitch on the auxilliary set to n minutes after the UFH comes on?

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
I'm doing a job where the customer wants underfloor heating in the kitchen
but the heatloss will require more than the UFH can provide, so I'm going
to put in a plinth/kickspace heater as well. Since the latter will only be
needed during the coldest times of the year it occurred to me to have it
on a thermostat that senses the outside temperature. Ideally the
thermostat itself should be indoors, so I want one with a
weatherproof(able) remote sensor.

I don't recall seeing such a beast anywhere so before I start butchering
electronic 'stats does anyone know of one off-the-shelf?

Or have a better idea for how to control this setup, that I haven't
thought of? :-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

This sig intentionally left blank

We have a Myson Kickspace in our kitchen connected into the ground floor
radiator circuit, with power taken from the boiler supply so it is
controlled by the programmer. The internal circuitry of the unit includes a
thermostat to prevent it from blowing cold air but there's no upper cut-out,
so I wired it in series with a roomstat to turn the fan off when the kitchen
temperature is sufficient. This would fit your needs too I think. An
external sensor is a refinement, but unless it controls the whole heating
system you won't benefit by turning on the Kickspace early before the
heating water heats up.

Thought about an electric one?